Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:50 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times

Advertisements

What in your life has brought you to being Atheist & Agnostic~? Did you have a religious upbringing in a faith that caused you to leave what you once believed in~? Or you came from a strict family of religion~? I'm curious. I do have a friend who is one of these, I forgot which. He's an animal activist and vegetarian of which when he came into being both his faith no longer seem to click, or it sounded like to me. Plus, he told me that faith fight wars and always fighting over something which bothered him. I kind of agree on this since many countries fight due to faith. Also, he didn't have such a religious upbringing either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:00 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
No religious upbringing for me. The idea of god(s) makes no sense to me.

I'm also a happy meat eater.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
No religious upbringing for me. The idea of god(s) makes no sense to me.

I'm also a happy meat eater.

We all make choices in life and what works for one may not for another. I've been vegetarian for like 30 years and it works for me. BTW, I see your from Kentucky. I am too

Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What in your life has brought you to being Atheist & Agnostic~?
This was my default setting. Nothing ever changed that.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:10 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
Nothing made me atheist. It's more like nothing made me a theist.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
I was born an atheist, so were you. What's your excuse for being a theist?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,794 times
Love the responses

Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What in your life has brought you to being Atheist & Agnostic~?
Your question assumes that some of us have been anything but. I was not brought to a position of not believing there is a god. I was never IN ONE in the first place. I simply never, at any point in my life, thought there was one.

So for me at least your question makes as much sense as walking up to a Black Man and asking him what turned him Black.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:43 AM

243 posts, read 452,640 times
I was raised in a somewhat religious household, some times were more strict than others. I went to Catholic school when I was really young, but then public school for the rest of my time. I could never completely reconcile some Christian beliefs with reality, fairness, reason, or personal morality. The grip was less and less as I became more educated, but it felt wrong to let go because I was raised to believe in Jesus and God. An intro to religion class in college was a real eye opener. Still, why would my loving and wonderful mother mislead me? How could I question something that millions of people knew to be true? Plus, who would keep my car from crashing on a stormy night or take the blame when things go wrong in my life? If I don't believe, how will I see my family after we die? I really want to see them again.

In my late teens, my parents started attending a very conservative Baptist church with a very conservative pastor from our neighbor to the south, Kentucky. I was expected to go when I was home from college. Nice jeans/trousers and a nice top were unacceptable; I had to wear dresses (which I was NOT okay with) to conform to some unspoken rule. I tried to escape to my boyfriend's Methodist church on Sundays when I could, as they were all very kind, loving, and uplifting.

Sitting in the Baptist service made me extremely uncomfortable and the words coming out of the pastor's mouth just seemed plain WRONG. They were filled with more hate than love. Catholics were spreading lies and they were going to hell. Gay people were going to hell. Women WILL recognize and obey the head of their household, which was always the man. Not baptized by full immersion? Hell. Didn't take the Bible (KJV ONLY) literally and dare question it? Hell. I was DONE with any form of church after hearing this vile man speak, but still I remained spiritual and believed in some form of loving non-judgmental God/Jesus combo.

One night a few years after I stopped attending that sad, backwards, pathetic excuse for a church, I just snapped and realized how dumb it was to contort and twist and make excuses for a belief that had really given me nothing; no joy, no answers, no practical guidance -- just questions and doubt in my own self and my own goodness. It was after watching Ricky Gervais talk about the moment he know God wasn't real. He was 8 years old, I believe. I thought, "He's right!" and TA-DA! I was free!

Never been happier, never doubted my change of heart, never really missed it (the only thing I miss is the happy belief that I'll see my loved ones again in heaven), and never had such a clear conscious. I wish I had been raised as an atheist; it would have saved a lot of doubt and confusion on my part.

Last edited by Ohio Hello; 11-20-2013 at 02:24 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 04:40 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
I'm puzzled that otherwise smart people can believe in such foolishness because there is zero evidence pointing to a god or an afterlife.
It goes against science and reason.

Quote:
What in your life has brought you to being Atheist?
The answer is I grew up and became an adult. The fairy tales that I was brainwashed into believing as a child no longer made sense to me. I'm embarrassed to admit that I once considered myself a Christian. I should have been smarter than that. That entire episode was the most humilating experience of my entire life.

Last edited by John13; 11-20-2013 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism