Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:20 PM

70 posts, read 68,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I knew I was not the only one that suspected this. Some folks are just too zealous and militant.

Higgs boson theorist says he agrees with those who find Dawkins' approach to dealing with believers 'embarrassing'.
I think he is just honest about what he thinks about religion. Brains are very stubborn and very lazy when it comes to challenging existing belief systems so maybe stronger language is required to shake them and force them to re-think religion. Plus, Bible and other such books and acts made in name of religion over time are more than enough to attack religion and its institutions. Now, Dawkins would look really bad if he is harsh to a believer who didn't do or said anything. I can say I disagree when Dawkins and others try to make Islam as something considerably worse than Christianity. It just happens now that some Muslims make the headlines; in perhaps 50 years we may see all Muslims over the world enjoying a pretty decent and moderate life (as many already do) while some extremist evangelical would blow stuff up.

Back to Dawkins's militant-ism: some extra noise is required in a world where for every atheist "preacher" there are probably 1000 times more religious ones, all of them backed by lots of money and other advantages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 06:02 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupid dave View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah,...

What was the name of that famous poem about, All is well in the world," and the mention of the madding crowd growing up around us all as the little girls sings, "All is well in the world"...

I can't remember the author... anyone?????
Robert Browning 'Pippa Passes'.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:10 PM

723 posts, read 868,921 times
Higgs is wrong, Dawkins is right, it deserves contempt, it's ridiculous, backwards thinking and it's the only subject in the world where people get **** on for calling a spade a spade. Look at what it does to people, it must have poisoned billions and billions of minds down the centuries, and it's still going on today. It encapsulates just about every flaw that our species suffers from.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I knew I was not the only one that suspected this. Some folks are just too zealous and militant.

Higgs boson theorist says he agrees with those who find Dawkins' approach to dealing with believers 'embarrassing'.
I've come to realize there are "fundies" on both sides.

I bet if you dug you'd find many (if not most) really hard-core militant atheists are "escapees" from fundamentalist religions. I suppose you can take the god out of a person but not the fundie...

Anyway, Dawkins is way too eager to attack rather than educate.

If you don't believe, great. Wanna educate people? Please do so!

But I've never had a good teacher who was also a smug, insulting and demeaning ass... and Dawkins is all of the above. He does more harm than good and that's a real shame because he's a damn bright guy otherwise who could bring a lot of people out of the dark ages instead of provoking them into digging in behind a rampart of bibles and manipulative, controlling clergy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism