Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 03:15 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
he has become very belligerent, i deny no one their faith but. it is to the point of him trying to save my soul and how he is like well you must belive for you help people and do good deeds. he has just got pushy so i started to push back.
Well if he is truly obnoxious and chronically impertinent that's another thing. Life is too short for that sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 03:40 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That is really funny! I think you did the right thing.

It was very rude of him to come into your home and tell you how to behave.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Larry David Vs. Christian Scientists - The Prayer Circle - YouTube

Old 12-01-2013, 05:06 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
he has become very belligerent .... he has just got pushy so i started to push back.
It is good that you pushed back.

In any confrontation (physical or verbal), the goal is to cause your opponent more pain than they cause you.

If your pushing back causes him enough discomfort, he will stop being belligerent.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
It is good that you pushed back.

In any confrontation (physical or verbal), the goal is to cause your opponent more pain than they cause you.

If your pushing back causes him enough discomfort, he will stop being belligerent.
Unless he pushes back harder and "eye for eye, everyone ends up blind." Different people are different and respond differently to various things. Usually, someone who believes in the bible either hasn't read it or hasn't been educated very well on the opposition and criticisms. These types would read Karl Marx's book and believe it without question or second thought, as long as they hadn't invested too heavily in the opposition to Marx's ideas.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 AM

328 posts, read 466,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Where do you find these folks?

Do you live in the Bible Belt?

I never encounter folks like that unless I venture into a Christian forum. Why do you have a friendship with this person? Friends usually have things in common. The two of you are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. He cannot tolerate your views and you cannot deal with his views. What is the point?
I've actually been preached to in the following places. Minding my business each time:

-A Dr.'s appt. I had an old religious nurse try and tell me that the cure to my sky high BP was to "give my generational curse" (the hypertension, presumably) to god. The problem actually was, someone miscalculated the adrenaline that I had been administered prior to her diagnosis, and my body was simply reacting.

-The supermarket. Some kind church ladies singled me out from numerous other patrons to tell me that "I was hell bound" for dressing like a harlot "with that precious baby in my arms". True story. Duke shorts and a tank top may be faux pas for Saudi, but unless there was a transporter malfunction, I swear this took place in Virginia.

-Recent doctor's appt... A nurse got his knickers in a twist because I told him I was not interested in his invitation to a church social function. I was polite. However, he pressed on "So...what, you don't believe in god?" I casually said no, I do not. He all but stormed out of the room. It was kind of funny. I really liked that dude too. He was cool to talk to. Now, he just looks at me strange when I come for appointments.

You kind of have to ask..."Who does this ish?" And, the simple answer is people. To be fair, I have also had random bums come up to me and tell me things (that I usually listen to if I have time, I'm not rude) and I know any person can be obnoxious, it's not just a religious thing. However, being religious seems to give some people the notion that they have carte blanche to say 'whatever' to others.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_Shroom12 View Post
A Dr.'s appt. I had an old religious nurse try and tell me that the cure to my sky high BP was to "give my generational curse" (the hypertension, presumably) to god. The problem actually was, someone miscalculated the adrenaline that I had been administered prior to her diagnosis, and my body was simply reacting.
It's a little frightening when a medical "professional" defaults to baroque supernatural explanations before looking at the medical facts in front of them. If a nurse can do this, you have to wonder how many doctors might be doing it.
Quote:
The supermarket. Some kind church ladies singled me out from numerous other patrons to tell me that "I was hell bound" for dressing like a harlot "with that precious baby in my arms". True story. Duke shorts and a tank top may be faux pas for Saudi, but unless there was a transporter malfunction, I swear this took place in Virginia.
They were just jealous of your good looks ;-) I have to wonder why anyone would think this might actually be an effective technique that would work, even if, for the sake of argument, they were offering sound advice. But they are so used to shaming and blaming each other into conformity, they must at some level think it would rock you back on your heels and make you change your ways so that would never happen again.
Quote:
Recent doctor's appt... A nurse got his knickers in a twist because I told him I was not interested in his invitation to a church social function. I was polite. However, he pressed on "So...what, you don't believe in god?" I casually said no, I do not. He all but stormed out of the room. It was kind of funny. I really liked that dude too. He was cool to talk to. Now, he just looks at me strange when I come for appointments.
You just grew a third eye and couple of tentacles, apparently. Just wink that third eye and wave with one of the tentacles and he'll get used to it eventually.
Quote:
... being religious seems to give some people the notion that they have carte blanche to say 'whatever' to others.
They have carte blanche to say "whatever" to each other and they live in such an insular world, such an echo chamber, that on any remotely religious topic they relate to random strangers the same way. It's all they know, and if you're in or near the Bible Belt, they also kind of assume that random strangers are also fundies anyway.

In fundamentalism, everyone is supposed to be "accountable to each other" and they get into each other's personal business and people are used to being violated. It's like family members ratting each other out to their totalitarian masters in Stalinist Russia or something.

Disclaimer: the above comparison is entirely fair, but only for the more rabid fundamentalists. The more moderate groups like the one I was once a part of, are much lower key and generally have some awareness that you can't apply these mind control techniques to people who have not already drank the Kool-Aid. But I guarantee that they are silently judging you even if they do manage to keep their mouths shut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism