Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:24 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times

Advertisements

And this thread is why I stopped arguing with the faithful

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ion-farce.html

Especially the last 10 pages, which is just full of childish posts that amount to 'no it's not' 'yes it is'.

Personally, people that dumb and stubborn should just be ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 05:17 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,996 times
nah...you haven't stopped, that's why you posted...lol!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post

Especially the last 10 pages, which is just full of childish posts that amount to 'no it's not' 'yes it is'.

Many aren't dumb. Many are very intelligent, smart, creative, successful people. PhDs, Businessmen, Engineers, Musicians, etc.

It's just that the power of childhood brainwashing (with associated group think) is a lot stronger than the power of reason.

Also, the near death transformation (from depression, prison, alcoholism, drug addiction, etc) people experience when they become "born again" shows the human mind's priority to rank the irrational over the rational for survival purposes.

It's not their fault. They're victims.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:20 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I didn't even have to open the link; just the title was enough. I don't bother with the evolution threads anymore. Once someone believes something no amount of evidence will sway them unless the individual is already at that place in his or her life when they're ready to hear it.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:25 AM

10,522 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I didn't even have to open the link; just the title was enough. I don't bother with the evolution threads anymore. Once someone believes something no amount of evidence will sway them unless the individual is already at that place in his or her life when they're ready to hear it.
That's right. I've given up on the evolution threads too. Been down that road too many times to know that it's futile even trying to engage with someone who doesn't want to know.
And they really don't want to know because they are not interested in any information that threatens their belief system.

I'm kind of torn about this though.
On the one hand on an individual level really what does it matter if a person doesn't believe in evolution? It's harmless right?
And I wouldn't worry so much if this were just a handful of people. But vast numbers of Americans don't believe in evolution. We are not talking piddling numbers here.
To me evolution is blatantly obvious /undeniable - as obvious as gravity or the nose on your face.
And this is a country that put a man on the moon and gave us iphones yet almost half the nation is deluded about mans origins.

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

Is anyone else worried by this? Is it even anything to worry about really?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:11 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I suspect that they may be less creationist than the stats would suggest -just as there is more irreligion than the stats would suggests.

I looked up 'Godwin's law'. The longer a discussion goes on the greater the probability of a Hitler comparison. (Arq's law says that in a debate about atheism, the Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot comparison will come sooner rather than later.)

"there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress." Wiki

There is also a tradition that one could sooner get Hitler to admit he was wrong than to get the one who mentioned him to accept that they have lost the debate. I'm not sure that it does, but it does tend to increase the heat and devalue the discussion. But then, 'Playing the Hitler card' is one of the methods used to trash the game by those who feel that they are losing points.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-04-2013 at 04:23 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 04:47 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
That's right. I've given up on the evolution threads too. Been down that road too many times to know that it's futile even trying to engage with someone who doesn't want to know.
And they really don't want to know because they are not interested in any information that threatens their belief system.

I'm kind of torn about this though.
On the one hand on an individual level really what does it matter if a person doesn't believe in evolution? It's harmless right?
And I wouldn't worry so much if this were just a handful of people. But vast numbers of Americans don't believe in evolution. We are not talking piddling numbers here.
To me evolution is blatantly obvious /undeniable - as obvious as gravity or the nose on your face.
And this is a country that put a man on the moon and gave us iphones yet almost half the nation is deluded about mans origins.

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

Is anyone else worried by this? Is it even anything to worry about really?

It mainly gets my hackles up when they try to legislate how it's taught in schools, but I prefer to take those fights to state capitals rather than internet forums. But yes, there is a definite relationship between acceptance of evolution and scientific literacy (as defined by using facts in a decision-making process), and that does concern me.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post

So now who you gonna argue with
Sometimes people are very set in their ways.....
And you're right...there's no changing it for some.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
So now who you gonna argue with
Sometimes people are very set in their ways.....
And you're right...there's no changing it for some.
Yes, that is exactly right.

Some people simply cannot accept that we humans are just another form of animal life. They absolutely have to believe that we are 'special' in some way.

For example, one of our more intelligent Muslim posters believes in evolution for all life on Earth - except humans.

It is impossible to change their mind and, to be honest, there is nothing we can learn from the 'creationists', so there is no point discussing evolution with them.

Besides, I judge people based on how they act, not what they believe. Some of my friends are creationists.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I agree. How people act is more important than how they believe. The real point in debating here is for both sides to put their case and the ones who stick the fingers in the ears first have pretty much lost the argument.

It doesn't matter because the only person who can make them listen is themselves. It does happen. We have had a few fundies who have come to their senses just as we have had at least one informed atheist who at leads came to see 'God' as likely.

What matters is not what individuals believe, but what is considered valid by evidence, because that is what is taught in education, and the other stuff can be left to churches or creationist websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism