Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 12:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I 100% believed (and lived accordingly), and now I do not. When I tried to share Christ, my belief crumbled. I did not want it to. I was not afraid to believe. I didn't reject anything. I didn't pretend anything. But as I tried to find a way to show an unbeliever that there was something to believe in, I discovered that there wasn't.
My career was in high tech, and now that I am retired I teach part time at a college in that field.

When anyone tries to explain to someone else what the believe, or something works, they very quickly come to realize that they literally don't know what they are talking about. When a student says they think they understand, I ask them to explain it to someone else, and often they quickly recognize that they really don't have a full understanding.

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." (Albert Einstein)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 12:54 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
The problem with what this man is trying to do is that he already has personal biases on how an atheist lives.
I didn't think there was any such thing.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
It's like the author Howard Griffin who wrote the book "Black Like Me." Griffin, who was white, dyed his skin brown to see what it was like living as an African American person. The color was superficial, he was playing a role. Like Griffin, I think Bell will go back to theism when his year at playing at atheism is up.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
The problem with what this man is trying to do is that he already has personal biases on how an atheist lives.
Guess that means he is eating babies, torturing small animals and thinking up ways to commit immoral acts.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:59 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It's like the author Howard Griffin who wrote the book "Black Like Me." Griffin, who was white, dyed his skin brown to see what it was like living as an African American person. The color was superficial, he was playing a role. Like Griffin, I think Bell will go back to theism when his year at playing at atheism is up.
That's an interesting point. If he really lived like an atheist - if he can make any claim to this being an experiment rather than a bit of foolishness, he should at least read enough to be apply to make atheist - type talk - then seeing how he got treated by those people he thought of as perfectly good Christians might be a rude shock for him.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:19 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That's an interesting point. If he really lived like an atheist - if he can make any claim to this being an experiment rather than a bit of foolishness, he should at least read enough to be apply to make atheist - type talk - then seeing how he got treated by those people he thought of as perfectly good Christians might be a rude shock for him.
He lost his jobs. Of course, he received money from non-believers to help fund the *experiment.*

Pastor tries atheism, loses jobs, gains $19,000 – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Old 01-27-2014, 10:57 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
The guy is getting a fair bit of unwarented criticism in my opinion.

I don't think he is being a phony, He says he is a functional atheist, but he has been maintaining a Christian worldview. His experiment is to shed that worldview and live as an atheist without the trappings and crutches of Christianity to which he is accustomed.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:13 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I get the impression he is a functioning Christian but not all that deeply a believer.

My impression is that he has been living a Christian lifestyle akin to a fundamental Christian. Directly reading scripture for inspiration, church attendance, heavy reliance on other "believers" as a support system. All this is set up around believers as support, crutches, and influence to keep them plugged in and thinking they should believe (even if they truly don't). So they go through the motions, quasi-believing not out of true conviction but out of peer pressure and fear of "what if it really is true."

By unplugging to "live like an athiest" what he might be saying in a rather clunky fashion is that he is going to let go of the Christian trappings (as an athiest would have no use or practice in such things) to see if his real belief and faith are really Christianity, or elsewhere.

In a way, he sees this as himself testing God too. He thinks he beleives in the Christian God, so he probably is thinking that his belief in God may be reinforced by God even without the surround of the religious reminders and reinforcements he has been using. Hopefully, it also means he will not be trying to evaluate things in terms of a Christian outlook either, as an athiest certainly would not.

Overall, I think there is some flaw in it, but anyone who is not a true Christian believer is going to struggle to really explore what they believe when they remain immersed in Christianity.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:39 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
He lost his jobs. Of course, he received money from non-believers to help fund the *experiment.*

Pastor tries atheism, loses jobs, gains $19,000 – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
Thanks. It's the same guy as mentioned in then OP (Bell) and he is taking his effort seriously. I withdraw many of my reservations and commend his guts. He has indeed found out what you get for questioning.

Mind, if you have a job in a bacon factory and convert to Islam, some changes can be expected. It is more his perception of a complete change of personality in his former friends that may shock him.

Of course, if I were to suddenly Do a Mystic, I might expect some flak from the Unfaithful here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism