Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:26 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,165,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
I tend to lose it when the gawd believers, upon discovering that I am an atheist, tell me that I'm bound to spend eternity in HELL, or the LAKE of FIRE!

These words are always shouted...I guess the guy in the sky frowns on whisperers of eternal blistering threats. But the worst part is fanatical look in their eyes; all glittering and gleaming in fevered anticipation of my imagined agony...forever and ever, amen.

I guess we haven't evolved too far from those who revelled in the inquisitions.
Yes, I can't stand religious fanatics either. Some of them actually would treat us like we had some type of disease or something. They want to keep digging further as to why we're non-believers even when there is no point to it.

Religious fanatics...ugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 01:15 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
Also what bothers me is that seemingly very smart, intelligent people, especially people who have lived a little, still cling onto that fairytale. How can reality have eluded you for so long? Unless you are so scared to face it. It's pityful when I hear someone whose mind I really respect and whose overal views I value, then come out with religious talk. How can they cower in the corner when it comes to seeing that bible for what it is?

Old 04-19-2014, 02:40 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
Also what bothers me is that seemingly very smart, intelligent people, especially people who have lived a little, still cling onto that fairytale. How can reality have eluded you for so long? Unless you are so scared to face it. It's pityful when I hear someone whose mind I really respect and whose overal views I value, then come out with religious talk. How can they cower in the corner when it comes to seeing that bible for what it is?
Many religions, (Christianity at least) have very powerful psychological techniques that prevent people from seriously questioning it's premises. If one is taught them when they are young, it can be very difficult to shake.

They make you terrified to ask yourself the normal questions, so you can never come to the obvious conclusions.

You're to afraid to filter your thoughts through the normal mental process you use to objectively determine what is true.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:40 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Easy and comfortable answers to puzzling and worrying questions is a powerful selling -point. The 'With Us or Against Us' threat is even more powerful than hellthreat. The only thing that disbelief has going for it (as an alternative) is that the religious claims so often strain credulity.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:15 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
Oh yes, this right here! ^^^^^

Especially when it's say, the president of the United States.

I often think if the leader of this country hasn't figured that all out then we're in trouble still.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Not a whole lot tests me. I live in a very secular milieu. We're turning churches into condos, dance clubs, museums, and the like. We used to be one of the staunchest Roman Catholic places on earth. One day, people just woke up. When the pendulum stopped swinging, it didn't stop in the middle.

MONTREAL - In the stately Notre-Dame-du-Perpétuel-Secours Church in Ville-Émard, where the faithful once raised their voices to the heavens in prayer and song, the masses these days are chanting the chorus to Elton John’s Crocodile Rock and AC/DC’s You Shook Me All Night Long.
They’re also partying at disco-themed Christmas parties, saddling up to a bar made from wood taken from the church’s confessionals, and watching tribute bands perform on a stage where the altar used to be.
The conversion from church to Théâtre Paradox, a multi-functional performance space with room for 800, is emblematic of the challenges facing a city blessed with roughly 500 places of worship — four times the number found in Paris. Many of these buildings, however, are cursed with dwindling membership and an inability to cover maintenance and heating costs, forcing them to close.
One study estimated 340 Quebec churches have been abandoned, converted or demolished in the first 10 years of this century.

Old churches seeking new vocations

Old 04-20-2014, 08:25 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Not a whole lot tests me. I live in a very secular milieu. We're turning churches into condos, dance clubs, museums, and the like. We used to be one of the staunchest Roman Catholic places on earth. One day, people just woke up. When the pendulum stopped swinging, it didn't stop in the middle.

MONTREAL - In the stately Notre-Dame-du-Perpétuel-Secours Church in Ville-Émard, where the faithful once raised their voices to the heavens in prayer and song, the masses these days are chanting the chorus to Elton John’s Crocodile Rock and AC/DC’s You Shook Me All Night Long.
They’re also partying at disco-themed Christmas parties, saddling up to a bar made from wood taken from the church’s confessionals, and watching tribute bands perform on a stage where the altar used to be.
The conversion from church to Théâtre Paradox, a multi-functional performance space with room for 800, is emblematic of the challenges facing a city blessed with roughly 500 places of worship — four times the number found in Paris. Many of these buildings, however, are cursed with dwindling membership and an inability to cover maintenance and heating costs, forcing them to close.
One study estimated 340 Quebec churches have been abandoned, converted or demolished in the first 10 years of this century.

Old churches seeking new vocations
*wistful sigh*

Old 04-21-2014, 11:40 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Oh yeah, one more thing that I really find annoying ...

When Christians talk about GOD and always write out GOD and LORD and JESUS and SAVIOR and any other word referring to their deities in all-caps.

It's like listening to an actual conversation in real-life and having the speaker suddenly SHOUT the names and titles of their deities in your face.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

When Christians talk about GOD and always write out GOD and LORD and JESUS and SAVIOR and any other word referring to their deities in all-caps.

It's like listening to an actual conversation in real-life and having the speaker suddenly SHOUT the names and titles of their deities in your face.
Ya know I think you're right, because I get yelled at or deleted when I say ATHEIST! Oh sorry, I didn't mean to shout, hee hee.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

I always get an image of some constipated-looking preacher turning purple and pointing a sausage-like finger down at the masses from the pulpit when they do that.

Oy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism