Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 04:29 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,144 times

Advertisements

One of my friends posted on Facebook today that they praise God for the cool pool of air over our area that prevented the storm from being so intense. I suspect that same person would blame the actions of the Spring Breakers in Panama Beach for the devastation that was brought on by that same storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is another perfect example of how religion takes something that exists in the real world -- in this case personal strengths -- and hijacks them for god by claiming that they are more than what they actually are, they are on loan from god and would not exist without him. They are ever inventing reasons why we need god.
That's cuz "god" is becoming more and more irrelevant these days and they need to keep his numbers (reason for believing) up...

Old 05-02-2014, 05:40 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
"God is good". Exact words from someone who lives in the area of all the recent storms because she didn't personally suffer any damage.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:25 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"God is good". Exact words from someone who lives in the area of all the recent storms because she didn't personally suffer any damage.
If god was good it wouldn't have sent the storm in the first place. I mean god controls everything, right?

Old 05-02-2014, 06:36 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
My thought was more along the lines of how oblivious people that say things like this are.
I'm sure it wasn't what those that did suffer injury, loss of homes or lives of loved ones were thinking first.
Of course, there's always the " He's in a better place now" and "god's will" so we non-believers never what excuses they will give themselves.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:50 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Doctors and nurse study and work hard. It's not a talent or gift at all.
Second this.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
A Prayer From A Reader | Kids Without Religion

Quote:
In honor of National Prayer Day, I pray for people to stop praying for god to solve their problems for them. (Because it would take divine intervention to stop prayer.)

If it were up to me (If I were god), I’d want people to stop asking me to solve their problems for them. I’d want them to become responsible adults, solving their problems by drawing up on their knowledge, experience, and the help of other responsible adults. I’d want them to learn to face the world, their life, their problems, with courage and integrity. I’d want them to realize how pointless it is to petition me, as I never intervene on request. If I wanted anything to be different, it would be, independent of being asked. I wouldn’t care how many, or few, people believed in me. I’d want them to focus on creating a better world for everybody, regardless of their beliefs (or lack thereof). I wouldn’t want them to spend their time praising me.

I’d want them to spend it helping those less fortunate. And to show them the way, I’d create atheists.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:49 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura23 View Post
doctors and nurses have their gifts that were given by God. Thank God.
So, what you're saying is that God didn't decide to give doctors and nurses nearly as many useful skills until recently?

Apparently, five hundred years ago, God was giving physicians 'skills' like bleeding people in order to properly 'balance the humors', and drilling holes in the heads of the mentally ill so the 'demons' could escape. Right?

All that rigorous scientific study of how to treat the sick, and the resulting advent of modern medicine is all irrelevant - God just decided in the last century or so to stop making physicians ignorant quacks and to start giving them abundant medicinal talents?

You don't ever stop and think of the implications of your pronouncements, do you?

Old 05-04-2014, 06:27 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Agreed. One of my acquaintance's mom was declared cancer free (which is awesome). The person put up a Facebook status though thanking god and everyone for the prayers. Nothing about the doctors, nurses, etc. I'm really glad her mom is cancer free, but it's kind of sad that she didn't thank them.
Yes the ability of believers to never give the full credit to those who actually helped someone never astounds me. Stuff gets done on this planet because of people's actions not invisible non existent deities.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:52 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura23 View Post
doctors and nurses have their gifts that were given by God. Thank God.
No imaginary being had anything to with those docs and nurses, their med school DID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism