Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 11:50 PM

888 posts, read 454,312 times

Advertisements

The Upshot (NYTimes) identified locations they consider the hardest places to live and then Google compared web searches from these locations to those from the easiest places to live. What they found was people in the hardest places to live search about religion, especially its apocalyptic parts, and diet. Those in easier places to live search for cameras and fun stuff. When analyzing data, Google looked for things that correlated to the particular locations, not the most frequently searched items.

The article lists the top 20 web searches by social class and geography for the easiest and hardest places to live.

Top 10 for the hardest places are: free diabetic; antichrist; 38 revolver; ways to lower blood pressure; diabetic diet; about hell; the antichrist; dog benadryl; severe itching; the rapture.

How sad to be struggling, worried about your health, and your dog (dog benadryl??), and then be so instilled with fear as a result of religion that the antichrist comes in second only to your diabetes. The rapture was all the way down at number 10....

The top 10 for the easiest places include a bunch of cameras and non essential items, not things you'd worry about unless preoccupied with very first world problems.

It's an interesting article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/19/up...abt=0002&abg=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:56 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
That IS interesting, I know I'm in one of the hardest places even though it wasn't mentioned in the article but here in SC religion is dominant and there is a lot of talk about the Antichrist and especially the rapture. It is troubling when you see something like this because it does seem we're living in two different Americas. Personally I would love to move but as the article states most of us here are native (I might as well be) and family and friends are all here also. That makes it difficult but not impossible some day, we'll see.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:36 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Interesting article, and somewhat concerning, on both ends of the continuum. I somehow suspect that those in the "easiest" parts to live talk conservation and ecological values, yet by the look of their searches, live a very consumptive lifestyle.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:47 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Fascinating. Thanks for posting.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
That IS interesting, I know I'm in one of the hardest places even though it wasn't mentioned in the article but here in SC religion is dominant and there is a lot of talk about the Antichrist and especially the rapture. It is troubling when you see something like this because it does seem we're living in two different Americas. Personally I would love to move but as the article states most of us here are native (I might as well be) and family and friends are all here also. That makes it difficult but not impossible some day, we'll see.
I do wonder how many of the searches about the Antichrist and the rapture are related to doubt. Unless you're prepared for backlash, you're not going to question either in a group of believers. But in the privacy of your home and the (so called) privacy of your online searches, questioning can happen. I could never get into believing the Antichrist or rapture were real. It just seemed to cruel to good people who didn't believe.

Driving through rural SC and neighboring states, one can really see the large role religion plays when looking at the number of churches. Most of the buildings seem well cared for, presumably due to the congregations being active enough to support them. In other parts of the country a much larger portion of churches are suffering from years of neglect, both in their buildings and church participation.

I agree about their being different Americas and think the search terms illustrate income inequality.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Interesting article, and somewhat concerning, on both ends of the continuum. I somehow suspect that those in the "easiest" parts to live talk conservation and ecological values, yet by the look of their searches, live a very consumptive lifestyle.
I'm sure you're right about affluent consumers talking the talk and/or giving lip service to sustainability. It would be interesting to see what both groups post on facebook and, using GPS, how many in each group actually attend services. There might be some surprises. Of course, I would never support this kind of research for privacy reasons, but it would be fun to know.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 AM

282 posts, read 820,518 times
Quote:
The rise of inequality over the last four decades has created two very different Americas
I think this is a bit misleading, it infers that the united states is split into two distinct groups, but that is not what the data suggests. The data only considers counties on the ends of the spectrum, and ignores those in the middle. The search terms exclude the most common terms that are consistent regardless of county and only focuses on terms that are different. For those different terms it doesn't provide any insights on volume. It's possible search queries are 99% similar across the entire country and this just highlights the 1%, which would make the claim of VERY DIFFERENT Americas utterly false. Yes, it's also possible that there is only a 1% similarity, but we can't make statements on what we don't know.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:57 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
I do wonder how many of the searches about the Antichrist and the rapture are related to doubt. Unless you're prepared for backlash, you're not going to question either in a group of believers. But in the privacy of your home and the (so called) privacy of your online searches, questioning can happen. I could never get into believing the Antichrist or rapture were real. It just seemed to cruel to good people who didn't believe.

Driving through rural SC and neighboring states, one can really see the large role religion plays when looking at the number of churches. Most of the buildings seem well cared for, presumably due to the congregations being active enough to support them. In other parts of the country a much larger portion of churches are suffering from years of neglect, both in their buildings and church participation.

I agree about their being different Americas and think the search terms illustrate income inequality.
That's a good point about how many of the searches are related to doubt rather than belief, when I was going through my transition from religious to non-religious I did a lot of searches that related more to doubt than anything else. We could be seeing a slant towards a lot of agnosticism, if nothing else. And you're so right about the churches around here.....they are literally on every corner where I live. There's no broken-down church buildings, they're all alive and doing well, even the smallest ones. But I suspect there are a whole lot of closeted agnostics around here too but too afraid to question out loud or express their doubt...ie the private searches on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism