Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:02 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,389,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I do tend to notice on this board, that many christians, particularly the vocal fundamental practitioners have very little education or clarity. I notice major misspellings and syntax errors. So I tend to believe that the deeply fundamentals (on this board) are uneducated.
So, does this criteria equally apply to the non-Christians on this board who are guilty of major misspellings and syntax errors? It appears to me that all sides are equally guilty of possessing poor spelling and grammar skills--fundamentals, moderates, atheists, and others (religious or not).

Using the above criteria, it appears that most who have replied to this thread are uneducated. (I don't believe that for a moment!)

Old 02-23-2008, 12:40 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,329,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
Just like the title says. Sure, of course there are religious people that can be classified as highly intelligent regarding their occupation or skill set - rocket scientists, prepress technicians, brain surgeons, mathmeticians, web designers. You may meet someone who just presents themself as extremely smart, evolved, and acutely aware of the world we live in - occupation/skills really doesn't matter, those were just examples. Then comes the conversation where you learn the person believes in a god, creationism, Jesus, whatever. Do you secretly roll your eyes and wonder how such a smart person could possess such archaic beliefs?

How does this make you feel and does it privately change your perception and opinion of the person? Do you then relate differently to that person from that point on - ever cordial, but different nonetheless?
I think there are stupid people in all walks of life, and I think everyone is pretty stupid about more than a few things. but ones religion doesn't make them stupid... they just chose something that I disagree with...

But yes, when i meet someone cool I do roll my eyes when i find out they are religious, but i have a few friends that buy into god and we have been friends for a while, we debate and understand each others views. I did however have a friend that was a great guy, but everything ended up being about god and it just made it hard to talk about anything because we always disagreed. I really have a hard time having anything to do with him anymore because of it.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:06 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,466,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Ok, I have to admit I am guilty of misusing a word.

I SHOULD have said "occult". OOOOPS Ya know, devil worship.

As far as my statement about "radicals" I include radical Muslims (as in the ones responsible for terrorism ) and I even include the radicals such as the Fred Phelps family. Radical behavior or overzealousness in ANYTHING is dangerous!
Oh that's it kawgpz550! You are hereby banished from conversation! Occult instead of cult?!!?! Do you realize you just opened a rift in the space time continuum?!!?! How are we ever going to fix that!

I'm only kidding. I see what you're saying.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:33 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,389,749 times
Quote:
My comment was that I tend to see fundamentals using bad spelling skills. I stick by it. There is currently one atheist who has no spelling skills. I've asked the person to use spell check.

My experience, and this is MY EXPERIENCE, on THIS BOARD, is that fundamentalists are bad spellers. So, if that is my experience, I think that they are uneducated or lazy.

I do find it humorous that you're offended by the spelling error post and not the posts about christians being stupid and/or having psychological problems.
I'll assume you're replying to my first post since it has an earlier time stamp. First of all, I need to apologize. I was either having computer problems or C-D was having a meltdown, because that post never posted from my end; it was in an endless loading loop. Since it hadn't loaded, I stopped the process and edited the post, deleting the part about the pot calling the kettle black. The second post was the revamped version, stating that most posts on this thread wouldn't meet your criteria. The double posting was unintentional.

I find it humorous that you assume I'm offended. It takes more than a comment about grammar and spelling to offend me. Neither am I offended that some people on this board think Christians are stupid or have psychological problems. I was aware of those feelings long before I ever joined C-D, so the attitudes expressed on this board certainly don't surprise me, nor do they offend me. IMO, they come with the territory.

I do find it interesting that you avoided my question. Since you think the fundamentalists ON THIS BOARD are uneducated because they lack proper spelling and syntax, do you also think the atheists (and other non-Christians) ON THIS BOARD show their lack of education by creating posts with bad spelling and syntax? Or are they merely lazy? (I did notice you added "or lazy" to your latest analysis.)

Old 02-23-2008, 04:55 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,360,776 times
I don't think that theists are stupid, I think that there are a whole lot of intelligent religious people out there, but I think that they don't do a criticial analysis of the Bible or of any of their beliefs. For example, I would not say that Mike Huckabee is stupid; instead he is a very intelligent man that makes some stupid remarks about gays, morals, etc. I like the man, and I would not be against his becoming the president because I don't think his beliefs would be a hindrance. Just because he thinks that the constitution should be written according to the Bible, I don't believe that that will happen, but he is charming and intelligent otherwise. Whereas no one in this world could ever convince me that Bush in all of his stupidity is a Christian.

I think all of us can be brainwashed to believe anything, or convinced to believe in anything and therein lies the problem in my eyes.

I have three Christian friends that I believe are intelligent, and I deal with them by just not talking about the Bible. Two of them do not know how I feel about religion, but they are smart enough to not ask me.

I think that atheists just question things more than theists, at least when it comes to the Bible; they don't take things for granted, and they don't say, "Well, if it is in the Bible it has to be true somehow." Often I feel that atheists have a better since of right and wrong in that they can see that this Biblical God is not just.

But I also can't accept all of the arguments against a God either. I wouldn't rule out a God if I believed in evolution or even the Big Bang. I found Dawson's book lacking in intelligence to me in certain areas, such as blaming the Christians for wars.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:07 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,013,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Oh that's it kawgpz550! You are hereby banished from conversation! Occult instead of cult?!!?! Do you realize you just opened a rift in the space time continuum?!!?! How are we ever going to fix that!

I'm only kidding. I see what you're saying.
You see Troop, I was really only trying to PROVE the philosophy that Christians are stupid...Yeah, that's it! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LMBO!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:05 AM

206 posts, read 578,472 times
I've known some intelligent Christians before, and even counted a few among my friends. Generally speaking though, I tend to see something of a divorce between the faith based reasoning and the rational reasoning in such individuals.

Basically, they put their faith into a protected status where it operates independently of their rational thinking. This isn't to suggest that they consider their faith blind, but just that they don't look at it critically and/or objectively.

To be honest, I am not a big fan of that sort of thing, but I guess I can understand it.

In any case, intelligence and decision making skills are two separate things. You can be a genius, but if you don't apply it to an issue, it does you no good.

Last edited by MRiedl; 02-23-2008 at 09:14 AM..

Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,132,973 times
Good question about who does or does not use proper spelling and syntax, Blueberry.

I notice that we have many members throughout the forum(s) who just don't write well, probably never proof-read their posts, and obviously some (from reading many of their posts) who didn't get the best education.

Do I judge them by their religious beliefs? I doubt it, and in most cases, I don't know whether they are religious or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
~ severey snipped ~

I do find it interesting that you avoided my question. Since you think the fundamentalists ON THIS BOARD are uneducated because they lack proper spelling and syntax, do you also think the atheists (and other non-Christians) ON THIS BOARD show their lack of education by creating posts with bad spelling and syntax? Or are they merely lazy? (I did notice you added "or lazy" to your latest analysis.)

Old 02-23-2008, 09:33 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,842,813 times
Default Atheists, deep down do you think theists are stupid?

Yes I do.
Of course this wouldn't apply to ALL of them.
Some are smart, but crazy as loons.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 AM

238 posts, read 624,726 times
Quote:
So I tend to believe that the deeply fundamentals (on this board) are uneducated.
Hmmm, I guess I was unaware that a "fundamental" was a sentient being that could be uneducated or educated for that matter. In fact, I thought that "fundamentals" were foundational precepts, concepts, principles of a given system (such as a system of thought or belief).

Now, I suppose a "fundamentalist" could be educated or uneducated; could use correct spelling, syntax, and grammar or could not.

I could be wrong though, maybe I'm one of those "fundamentals" who can't string a coherent sentence together. Maybe I'm not even clear on the distinction between a fundamental and a fundamentalist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.