Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 06:50 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times

Advertisements

I recently had surgery, and just before I was to receive anesthesia, my surgeon walks in, discusses my surgery in detail, and proceeds to start praying with me. I stopped him and told him that I don't think that will do any good and that I'd rather rely on his skills.

Would this cause anyone of you to stop the procedure and find another surgeon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 10:30 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
May be praying helps him perform better and do the procedure more confidently? Call it a placebo effect if you like.
But if that does the trick, then so be it, I won't stop him from doing his thing before doing the procedure.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
It would weird me out. I think I'd suggest if he feels prayer helps him perform better, that he do so silently.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:42 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I recently had surgery, and just before I was to receive anesthesia, my surgeon walks in, discusses my surgery in detail, and proceeds to start praying with me. I stopped him and told him that I don't think that will do any good and that I'd rather rely on his skills.

Replace start praying with sacrifice a chicken.

I don't think you'd find many people making excuses for that. The difference? We're culturally habituated to praying such that it doesn't seem as weird as offering a sacrifice. Yet it is. Every bit as much.

Now, it may well be true that this particular surgeon manages to completely compartmentalize his religious weirdness from the science of medicine. On the other hand, it may not be.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:09 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Be interesting to know his live/die to please pray/please don’t stats.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post

I hate the let's pray thing. I am with you on that. I want your skills not your prayers "but" if the doctor thinks it helps him to perform then have at it. I wouldn't want to unsettle him before my surgery.

I might say I don't pray but you are welcome to pray for me.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I hate the let's pray thing. I am with you on that. I want your skills not your prayers "but" if the doctor thinks it helps him to perform then have at it. I wouldn't want to unsettle him before my surgery.

I might say I don't pray but you are welcome to pray for me.
As a result, he didn't pray with me, but declared that he will still be praying FOR me and himself. After the surgery, when he was meeting with my wife and daughter in the Waiting Room, he stated that he depends upon God to help him make his medical decisions. This was more unnerving and would have been the straw that would've caused me to stop my surgery, had I known this before hand.

In the pre-op room, I simply chalked it up to typical Christian/Science compartmentalization, as Hulsker mentioned earlier, but the post-op revelation has caused me to search out another surgeon once my recovery is complete, or maybe even before. Am I overreacting?

Old 03-24-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
May be praying helps him perform better and do the procedure more confidently? Call it a placebo effect if you like.
But if that does the trick, then so be it, I won't stop him from doing his thing before doing the procedure.
Thanks, but I'm not sure that your input is valuable here, as I would suspect you would prefer that your surgeon would do these things. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:40 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
If we remove the prayer request from the equation, as in you pretend that you are unaware of his religious beliefs....would you be satisfied with this doctor? Apart from the prayer business, has there been anything unusual or negative about the services rendered?

If the answer to the first is yes and the second, no, then I would not concern myself about finding someone else.

It isn't really practical to put everyone we must encounter in economic transactions through some test of agreement with our personal philosophies. For all I know the manager of the local Target Store may be a fundamentalist or a neo-Nazi for that matter, but I am not going to launch an investigation in order to know that my Target purchases are pure.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:26 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
In the US, I just assume everyone around me has some religious belief. My doctor, dentist, they guy making my sandwich, the stockboy at the grocery store - far too many people infected with nonsense. Since the world keeps turning and I still get my sandwich, I don't let it bug me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism