Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 12:09 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Because you wrote:

Quote:
what I am saying is that imposing property tax upon a small church like mine means shutting it down

It didn't appear that you were in favor of shutting the church down, so that leaves a tax exemption to keep it open.
But the first part of the sentence you quoted said,
Quote:
I also agree about the property taxes, but..
Of course I am not in favor of shutting the church down, because it has meant something socially to me and others, but I know it is inevitable that it will be. The Diocese will likely kill it before property tax on churches is enacted, though.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:12 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Or, if very small 'congregations', move to members dwellings...or consolidate... which seems to be a problem since so many Christians can't seem to get along with one another.
Tell me about it! I'm a mod on the City-Data Christianity forum, remember?

Hell, the church I went to back in 1997 got picketed by the Baptists the first time we did a SSM (or "blessing of the union" as it was called before there was legal SSM). That dynamic hasn't changed.

Seriously, that is what will have to change if churches do continue to exist. The model of having a church facility as the center of a community has been dying for a long, long time except maybe in certain pockets of the country.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:27 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Tell me about it! I'm a mod on the City-Data Christianity forum, remember?

Hell, the church I went to back in 1997 got picketed by the Baptists the first time we did a SSM (or "blessing of the union" as it was called before there was legal SSM). That dynamic hasn't changed.

Seriously, that is what will have to change if churches do continue to exist. The model of having a church facility as the center of a community has been dying for a long, long time except maybe in certain pockets of the country.
Can't rep you because, at this point because 25 other members haven't been
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 12:33 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
A non profit organization is still a private organization. So, that would make it a private library which has been opened to the public by whomever owns it. A public library is funded by community taxes.

Public property means that it is owned by the public, administered by a governmental agency.
If you want to go down all these different paths of arguing, go right ahead. You do this all time. Argue minutiae while missing the key points.

I'm going to explain it once. I call a library that ANYONE can join, for free, and operated by a non-profit organization as a place where the public can go. If you choose to look at it differently, go right ahead. If you want to pick, pick, pick. Go right ahead. But I won't see it cause you're now on my long ignore list...two other people.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:40 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
A non profit organization is still a private organization. So, that would make it a private library which has been opened to the public by whomever owns it. A public library is funded by community taxes.

Public property means that it is owned by the public, administered by a governmental agency.
If you want to go down all these different paths of arguing, go right ahead. You do this all time. Argue minutiae while missing the key points.

I'm going to explain it once. I call a library that ANYONE can join, for free, and operated by a non-profit organization as a place where the public can go. If you choose to look at it differently, go right ahead. If you want to pick, pick, pick. Go right ahead. But I' ignoring your posts from now on.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:14 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

I'm going to explain it once. I call a library that ANYONE can join, for free, and operated by a non-profit organization as a place where the public can go. If you choose to look at it differently, go right ahead. If you want to pick, pick, pick. Go right ahead. But I' ignoring your posts from now on.
The incorrect person will always view the correction as "picking." Irrespective of what you like to call it, a public entity is an entity owned by the public and supported by taxes. That isn't "my way", that is what it is.

And the problem isn't the correction, the problem is the error.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:36 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
This isn't a "new" enlightenment; the original Enlightenment isn't finished yet. And its ultimate success is not yet assured.
I disagree. Eventually it is assured. Mysticism exists only as long as people need it. We reduce the need for it with every passing day. I’d say we are about 500-700 years from a time when mysticism is entirely in the rear-view mirror. PTL!

Old 12-09-2019, 03:27 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Not sure I get the connection between a Christian church and mysticism?

Mysticism is the practice of religious ecstasies (religious experiences during alternate states of consciousness), together with whatever ideologies, ethics, rites, myths, legends, and magic may be related to them.[web 1] It may also refer to the attainment of insight in ultimate or hidden truths, and to human transformation supported by various practices and experiences

Broadly defined, mysticism can be found in all religious traditions, from indigenous religions and folk religions like shamanism, to organized religions like the Abrahamic faiths and Indian religions, and modern spirituality, New Age and New Religious Movements

Mysticism WAS, IS, and WILL be regardless of how religions come and parish.....

Old 12-09-2019, 05:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Not sure I get the connection between a Christian church and mysticism?

Mysticism is the practice of religious ecstasies (religious experiences during alternate states of consciousness), together with whatever ideologies, ethics, rites, myths, legends, and magic may be related to them.[web 1] It may also refer to the attainment of insight in ultimate or hidden truths, and to human transformation supported by various practices and experiences

Broadly defined, mysticism can be found in all religious traditions, from indigenous religions and folk religions like shamanism, to organized religions like the Abrahamic faiths and Indian religions, and modern spirituality, New Age and New Religious Movements

Mysticism WAS, IS, and WILL be regardless of how religions come and parish.....
as long as we are human this is true. People's wish that it will go away won't happen til we are not human anymore. It also wont go away because so of the things they say can be linked back to the standard model.

wishing mysticism away is like wishing art away. it won't happen.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:55 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I disagree. Eventually it is assured. Mysticism exists only as long as people need it. We reduce the need for it with every passing day. I’d say we are about 500-700 years from a time when mysticism is entirely in the rear-view mirror. PTL!
Mysticism will never be gone, but it will be much better understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism