Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 02:23 AM

339 posts, read 169,652 times

Advertisements

Wasn't this a subject of discussion recently:

Intelligent Trees - Trees form bonds, know friends and family

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=I...&v=u1AKePvby2w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 05:39 AM

16,584 posts, read 15,510,172 times
Please provide a topic for discussion. A video doesn't do it. Start the discussion on the assumption that nobody is going to watch the video. The forum posting rules say:
When starting a new thread, please do not post only a link or a video. Other members may not know what your intent was if that is all there is. Also, subsequent posts may be off topic if they have no idea what topic you wanted to set forth with your link/video. Add a line or two to let the readers know your thoughts.
Make sure it is appropriate for Atheism and Agnosticism.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,470,225 times
I am leaving this one alone.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:56 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,870,375 times
I think it was MQ who brought up the book about the life of trees, and lots of people mocked the idea. I guess Charley was responding to that.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:16 AM

7,568 posts, read 4,111,256 times
I think it is cool that trees interact a lot more than most of us know or will completely understand. The discovery of more intricate interactions is not surprising though.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I think it is cool that trees interact a lot more than most of us know or will completely understand. The discovery of more intricate interactions is not surprising though.
bingo ...

Old 12-15-2019, 10:10 AM

339 posts, read 169,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Please provide a topic for discussion. A video doesn't do it. Start the discussion on the assumption that nobody is going to watch the video. The forum posting rules say:
When starting a new thread, please do not post only a link or a video. Other members may not know what your intent was if that is all there is. Also, subsequent posts may be off topic if they have no idea what topic you wanted to set forth with your link/video. Add a line or two to let the readers know your thoughts.
Make sure it is appropriate for Atheism and Agnosticism.
Sorry. I was out of town. Maybe a bit of the "something else" discussed in another thread.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:38 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,971,301 times
I watched the video and while they made numerous assertions regarding tree communication, they provided none of the mechanics for how this was supposed to be working. For example, they said that if bugs attack one tree, that tree then warns the other trees. To what end? So those other trees can uproot themselves and flee? They said that trees feel pain but offered no explanation as to how something without a brain to process the feeling of pain, feels pain. They said trees have friends, but in what possible manner? They buy each other presents? They go out drinking together? They vacation together?

Lot of anthropomorphisms, nothing persuasive.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:09 PM

50,154 posts, read 23,799,416 times
I think that I shall never see,
A poet who didn't kill a tree.
The bard inscribes his many verses,
While loggers ship trees in twelve axle herses.

The power of the pen flows from your lines,
While power saws dismember knotty pines.
You write your sonnets full of mush,
While pulp mills pound oaks to formless mush.

The maples of my youth are gone,
Just so you can ramble on and on.
Your consciences you need to vent,
On reams of paper and parchment.

Of course, that doesn't tell the tale,
There are all those quills pulled from peacock's tails.
And then there's me whose brain is tired,
As in your writings my mind gets mired.

And so I protest this English class,
Destroyers of nature -- you I'll bash.
Now maybe you think that I'm a ham,
But I think you're cruel, yes, you am.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:29 PM

its not they have intellect. thats just stupid. the point is that we are in a system that is totally connected and working like a unit. We call that unit the biosphere.

Most people don't even have a basic idea how the mechanisms work together. And the rest of are still learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism