Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 09:49 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,483,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
If I don't know them I say nothing. You are correct, people these days get offended very easily.

The last thing I want in Xmas is to be walking on eggshells, but I get it this is 2019 and not 1959.
I would say, yield here. Its just not the place/time.

enjoy whatever it is that makes this time of year happy for you.

If it was a time of scarring? fake it till you make it ... See you on the other side of 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 10:00 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,279,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I would say, yield here. Its just not the place/time.

enjoy whatever it is that makes this time of year happy for you.

If it was a time of scarring? fake it till you make it ... See you on the other side of 2020.
When in Rome I do as the Romans. I have been to a Synagogue and enjoyed it. I like to hang out with atheists and I also enjoy the activity. I don't even have to fake it.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:14 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,632,186 times
Two and a half pages in, and I'm the first to wish all you atheists a Merry Newtonmas?

Oh dear.

https://www.merrynewtonmas.com

Reason's greetings everyone!

"I have not been able to discover the cause of those properties of gravity from phenomena, and I frame no hypotheses; for whatever is not deduced from the phenomena is to be called a hypothesis, and hypotheses, whether metaphysical or physical, whether of occult qualities or mechanical, have no place in experimental philosophy."

Old 12-24-2019, 11:40 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,279,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Two and a half pages in, and I'm the first to wish all you atheists a Merry Newtonmas?

Oh dear.
There are a few problematic combination of letters in there; see bold. That is why?
Newton also wrote religious books. I would venture to say Merry Newtonmas makes many people uncomfortable.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:43 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,070,302 times
I love it! Thank you for introducing me to it.

Happy Newtonmas!!

Old 12-24-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
There are a few problematic combination of letters in there; see bold. That is why?
Newton also wrote religious books. I would venture to say Merry Newtonmas makes many people uncomfortable.
Yes, Newton spent a lot of time on alchemy and puzzling himself about god.

He once said that he was able to see further than most because he stood on the shoulders of those who preceded him. Now we stand on his shoulders, and see further than he ever could.

His struggles to see further, and the ideas he developed about HOW to see further, are why he is still so honored today. Just about everything he thought was true about how the universe works was fundamentally wrong. But if he is ever evicted from his place of honor in Westminster Abbey, I doubt it will be the doing of scientists.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,783,425 times
Quote:
I say Rosh Hashanah to my Jewish friends. Why would I say Happy Holidays to them?
Why would you say that in December?

Rosh Hashanah was on September 29th to October 1st in 2019 and will be September 18th through September 20th in 2020. Btw, the proper greeting on Rosh Hashanah is Shanah Tovah which means have a good year or Shanah Tovah Umetukah which means have a good and sweet year.

Do you know what Rosh Hashanah means? It is the Jewish New Year. It is not intended as a greeting. It is a time for reflection and repentance and is referred to as the "day of judgment" or the "day of repentance." One of the most significant rituals of the holiday is the blowing of the shofar, or ram's horn. Jewish people fast on Yom Kippur, 10 days after Rosh Hashanah. The period of repentance lasts from Rosh Hashanah through Yom Kippur, where you seek forgiveness from people you have hurt.

You seem to have no real idea what Judaism is, Julian.

Note that Happy Holidays in December includes Hanukkah which occurs from December 22 to December 30th in 2019. Hanukkah is the festival of lights and commemorates the rededication of the Jewish temple in Jerusalem in the 2nd century BCE. It is a minor holiday in Judaism that has been given importance because of it falls close to Christmas time.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Why would you say that in December?
Ha!

Old 12-24-2019, 01:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,783,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Ha!
My dh's family is Jewish. I do know quite a bit about Jewish Holidays.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
My dh's family is Jewish. I do know quite a bit about Jewish Holidays.
Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you in any way, shape, or form.

I was reacting to the poster who thinks he is proving his open-mindedness by wishing his Jewish friends a great Rosh Hashanah in December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism