Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 04:40 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Well, that's rather interesting as Russia, Post Soviet has readmitted religion and is now more religious than it was. Bu suicides still increase. Might we suggests that religion (or lack of it) is not the factor behind this?

As to former attempts to eradicate religion, they may have failed because of a number of factors
They did not understand the way things work and they did not have an alternative to religion
All systems appear to 'fail' (or change) in time - religious or not. Though religions themselves can outlast the systems.
The system of increased irreligion has to come from below, not be imposed by an Authority above.

So whether the idea is to assure yourself that Irreligion is not going to succeed or to try to convince those pushing for it, your views are noted, but are irrelevant to our efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 04:51 PM

952 posts, read 323,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well, that's rather interesting as Russia, Post Soviet has readmitted religion and is now more religious than it was. Bu suicides still increase. Might we suggests that religion (or lack of it) is not the factor behind this?
Among WHO is the question ?
The Former USSR was a vast country . The article clearly drew distinction between regions , republics that were able to retain more of their traditional culture and faith , and those that were not able to .
That was the whole point :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1414406

Old 01-03-2020, 05:33 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
We are by no means the first society to undertake the national venture of trying to throw off the voice that shook the earth in favor of the blighted fireless orthodoxy of selfish self-desolation.
Failing to examine the consequences is a feeble method of avoiding responsibility .
Even resignation demonstrates a more expanded personality :
I notice that to the greatest degree possible, your posts are composed of airy fairy dogma written in neo gott dammerung. You are here in Rationallandia, and you are employing fire and brimstone preacher speak. That isn't something that works on any of us. It is spitballs against battleships.

I never venture to the Christianity forum because there rationality does not work, and I would be without a useful weapon, just as you are here. The difference is that you do not seem to realize this.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:48 PM

952 posts, read 323,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I notice that to the greatest degree possible, your posts are composed of airy fairy dogma written in neo gott dammerung. You are here in Rationallandia, and you are employing fire and brimstone preacher speak. That isn't something that works on any of us. It is spitballs against battleships.

I never venture to the Christianity forum because there rationality does not work, and I would be without a useful weapon, just as you are here. The difference is that you do not seem to realize this.
I have nothing that " works " on your innumerable fears and silly superstitions , but thanks for asking .

Old 01-03-2020, 05:53 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
I have nothing that " works " on your innumerable fears and silly superstitions , but thanks for asking .
Oh my.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:58 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well, that's rather interesting as Russia, Post Soviet has readmitted religion and is now more religious than it was. Bu suicides still increase.
Religious fervor in Russia is more oriented towards cultural Christianity as a segue to nationalism. The Russian Church was the State church during the Czar (and could be called a state religion, given that Russian Orthodoxy is treated as an indigenous religion as part of its nationalist creed and is currently in a schism with Constantinople).

Old 01-03-2020, 06:18 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:

You're batting 1,000 today. Good show. I'd rep you again if they'd let me.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:54 PM

10,530 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Throwing off the voice that shook the earth , witness today's harvest of higher criticism which when unmasked is infidelity
pure and simple .
The children raised today in the same constant apprehension of danger common to the squirrel ,wildebeest, monkey, have devised a formidable solution worthy of the wisest animal.
They have learned well :
https://www.latimes.com/science/la-s...618-story.html
Quote:
I read the article. Some snips:

I was unable to find anything in the article where anyone suggested that the increase in suicides was related to a loss of religious faith. There was no break down in the data where the religious and non religious suicide rates were compared.

I write the above because it is my impression that you wish us to conclude that there is such a relationship, that as faith declines, suicide rises. However, if that is the point you wish to make, this article does not help you in any manner.

I applaud your attempt to comprehend the post Grandstander.
I was lost at 'Throwing off the voice that shook the earth'.
I have no idea which voice the poster is referring to.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:45 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I can't speak for all religious people, but I find this to be true within my own family. That is why I associate religious bigotry with stupidity, racism, xenophobia, hatred of women and homosexuals, and a host of other idiocies. It stands to reason that there are some exceptions, however.
I'm the exception, and I'm quite an exception.

My cradle to grave Catholic grandmother couldn't stop my father from fishing on Sunday.
My Church of England Protestant mom never went to church as a kid.
My sister became an evangelical Christian.
My brother converted to Islam. He converted, but I don't think that he ever got everything exactly right.

Mom's much older cousin was gay. He sounded like a wonderful person to me. I wish that I'd been able to meet and talk to him.

Am I completely weird?

Old 01-04-2020, 04:51 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
We are by no means the first society to undertake the national venture of trying to throw off the voice that shook the earth in favor of the blighted fireless orthodoxy of selfish self-desolation.
Failing to examine the consequences is a feeble method of avoiding responsibility .
Even resignation demonstrates a more expanded personality :
We have examined the consequences. You still have nothing except cherry picking one factor (strong religious faith) while ignoring the others that effect the suicide rate (traditional lifestyles, multi-generation families, sociopolitical antagonisms and forced social changes).

Even if the sense of community that comes from religion helps prevent suicide, it is not religion that is the cause, it is the sense of community. And you do not need religion for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism