Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 10:44 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
The other pieces of it are (1) if I'm foolish enough to criticize, someone invariably finds an error or errors in my own writing, which is embarrassing; and (2) very few people fail to be resentful if you criticize, so all you accomplish is alienating people.

No one can monitor what goes on internally, however. Typos and spellcheck errors are one thing: not caring is a choice. And it reveals a lot. I guess I do associate not caring about language with conservative views and being religious. But that's been my experience.
I've got to sign off now, and even making note of that fact rubs some people the wrong way. Of course that's certainly not my intent as I am simply making note why I might not reply right away. (As if anyone really cares either way)...

I know people who purposely don't write or text because they know their spelling and grammar skills are lacking. I think that's sad. My mother is one of those people in large part because English is not her first language, but she still emails me now and again regardless, littered with so many spelling and grammar errors to almost always bring a smile to my face.

I go through this forum so fast, from one thread to another, and I don't bother to review and edit like I should. I suppose that's a choice too, but the discussion is more interesting to me than the grammar. That's my hope anyway.

All to say I'm not quick to assume people don't care or that they should care more. I appreciate good writing as much as anyone, but in this forum there is little doubt that playing the English teacher is most likely to do little more than alienate people unnecessarily while accomplishing little else really. Other than to perhaps attempt to impress others with their writing prowess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 11:08 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yup.

Religion is just one of the ways to find your karass (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=karass). But it's a powerful one, who wouldn't want to be tight with the ruler of the universe?
The term "karass" is from Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle" and it does not mean what you suggest above. "A religion would be an example of the opposite, what Vonnegut called a "granfaloon" or false karass, which means a seemingly connected group which actually doesn't have anything to do with how the universe gets things done. The members of your karass are the people you may have never met, who will have a significant impact on your life. The guy driving a truck who five years from now will run over your dog..he is a member of your karass.

You probably need to read the novel to understand all this completely, and happily I can endorse "Cat's Cradle" as among the best novels ever written.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:14 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've got to sign off now, and even making note of that fact rubs some people the wrong way. Of course that's certainly not my intent as I am simply making note why I might not reply right away. (As if anyone really cares either way)...

I know people who purposely don't write or text because they know their spelling and grammar skills are lacking. I think that's sad. My mother is one of those people in large part because English is not her first language, but she still emails me now and again regardless, littered with so many spelling and grammar errors to almost always bring a smile to my face.

I go through this forum so fast, from one thread to another, and I don't bother to review and edit like I should. I suppose that's a choice too, but the discussion is more interesting to me than the grammar. That's my hope anyway.

All to say I'm not quick to assume people don't care or that they should care more. I appreciate good writing as much as anyone, but in this forum there is little doubt that playing the English teacher is most likely to do little more than alienate people unnecessarily while accomplishing little else really. Other than to perhaps attempt to impress others with their writing prowess.
That's a whole other exception, when English is not their first language. Or if they have a visual disability.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:40 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
The other pieces of it are (1) if I'm foolish enough to criticize, someone invariably finds an error or errors in my own writing, which is embarrassing; and (2) very few people fail to be resentful if you criticize, so all you accomplish is alienating people.

No one can monitor what goes on internally, however. Typos and spellcheck errors are one thing: not caring is a choice. And it reveals a lot. I guess I do associate not caring about language with conservative views and being religious. But that's been my experience.
HA, I know. Having been drilled in a secretarial school (can explain what that was to any youngster on the board) that declared a letter containing one comma out of place to be "unmailable", I am forever doomed to see typos and bad punctuation everywhere. If there is a mistake on a restaurant menu, I will spot it immediately, and I won't be consciously trying to do so.

I'm not going to point out errors on a message board, though. First of all, the people who do care will take their time and proofread, and the ones who don't care won't welcome correction. Not caring is a choice, as you point out. Then there's also the fact that as I get older and my eyesight gets worse, I make more errors, and if I'm going to criticize typos, someone will surely criticize mine.

The advantage I have is that I can always edit my posts.

We do have a number of very religious posters who write well; some others, not so much.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:00 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I read that, in India, if you proselityze over there, knock on someone's door selling religion, you're facing a Jail sentence.
I imagine that if you went door to door trying to "share" Christianity in many Muslim countries, your fate might be worse than jail.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Not as serious an error, but I am annoyed by people saying "bored of." Bored with, please! I know language evolves, but sometimes when I listen to the news I feel like writing down all the errors, there are so many.
I'm always amused when people say "I could care less" when they actually mean "I couldn't care less". LOL!

Old 01-02-2020, 01:13 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Then why aren't these people referred to as drug addicts?

My sister is so religious I compare her behavior to any other drug addict or alcoholic.

And, ironically, I actually envy them. I would love to be on opium every day!

How about you? Do you ever envy them?
A problem with that is that so many of them seem so damn miserable and unhappy. I smoked some opium that was mixed with hash, albeit many, many years ago, and I don't remember it making me angry or upset or constantly yelling at everyone else that they were wrong in their ways of thinking.

I think I just stared a lot, stayed inside my own head, and didn't want to do too much.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:18 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:

I use DM to alert posters to errors so there is no possibility of alienation.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:32 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I'm always amused when people say "I could care less" when they actually mean "I couldn't care less". LOL!
LOL! My mom had the same issue. I finally explained to her that saying, "I could care less" is SARCASM.

She didn't believe me.

Frankly, I could(n't) care less!

Old 01-02-2020, 06:43 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Not as serious an error, but I am annoyed by people saying "bored of." Bored with, please! I know language evolves, but sometimes when I listen to the news I feel like writing down all the errors, there are so many.
'Bored with' over 'bored' of strikes me as a rather arbitrary preference, from an actual meaning standpoint as opposed to concern with upholding convention. I fail to see why 'bored of' is somehow inferior usage to 'tired of', which is obviously standard. 'Bored of' somehow strikes me as easier to acclimate to than 'tired with'--perhaps only because I've actually heard the former used, heh. Speaking of 'former', 'latter' is sometimes misused in that people will use it to refer to the last of a sequence of more than two things, when it should only be used in cases of exactly two referents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism