Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 09:26 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
Yes how strengthening it is to know the truth of the promise that our trials will never be more than we can bear .

Truth & strengthening that no crucible of cooked light elements can ever provide .

If Hercule Poirot, Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan, Miss Marple, Sam Spade, Jessica Fletcher, Columbo and Nancy Drew were real, and they all gathered to devote themselves to this one task for however long it took, they still would be unable to detect the relationship between my post and your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 10:36 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I sometimes wonder why I hear points made about how tiny we are in the universe vs how important our world is to us and some confusion about being able to reconcile the two. I know something of the wide world out there and appreciate all it has to offer, but that is no problem for my appreciation of the personal space for me that I have made in my own home, which suits me better than anywhere else.

Just so, I can comprehend how infinitely unimportant this word, sun and galaxy is in the universal scheme of things, and yet at the same time how incredibly important this world is to us. Both those things are true and there is no cognitive dissonance involved.

Correct, and this reflects the fact that meaning and purpose are necessities for intelligent conscious beings, and are local to the needs of that type of being. There is no intrinsic meaning or purpose to the universe at large, and it's incoherent and silly to decry that or even discuss it.

Meaning is what we bring. Purpose is provided by us, in consonance with our nature as rational animals that survive through the exercise of reason.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:39 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Yes how strengthening it is to know the truth of the promise that our trials will never be more than we can bear .

Truth & strengthening that no crucible of cooked light elements can ever provide .
This of course is nonsensical word salad, and is a product of fear. But you only need to fear lack of purpose and meaning if you fail to give that to yourself in this - your only brief life.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:49 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Sounds like Carl had been smoking some nonsensemellia before he put this together :

https://bigthink.com/mind-brain/carl...king-marijuana

And?

I'm sure it helped rid his mind of useful fictions - you know those things you cherish!

Old 01-19-2020, 03:02 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Wonderful ,
Now knowing that the atoms that comprise my life on earth are the exact same atoms that comprise the Squirrel's life on earth, and likewise are the exact same atom's that comprise the mongoose's life on earth, I can gaze skyward and marvel at the fact that the communal crucible that collectively cooked our light elements together gives me complete assurance that my life has just as much meaning as the squirrel's or the frog's life .
No wonder young people being taught this stuff are killing themselves today in epidemic proportions.
Their death is no more meaningful than the atoms of the squirrel lying there squashed flat in the road.
Obviously, we find meaning and comfort in different things.

And just why do you insist that your life just has to be more meaningful than a squirrel's in the grand scheme of things? What's your evidence that this is so? And no, because the bible says so is not meaningful evidence to me. The face of the earth is littered with holy scriptures, all of them so much whistling in the dark. There's no obvious reason (except cultural familiarity) to prefer one of them over the others.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:56 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I sometimes wonder why I hear points made about how tiny we are in the universe vs how important our world is to us and some confusion about being able to reconcile the two. I know something of the wide world out there and appreciate all it has to offer, but that is no problem for my appreciation of the personal space for me that I have made in my own home, which suits me better than anywhere else.

Just so, I can comprehend how infinitely unimportant this word, sun and galaxy is in the universal scheme of things, and yet at the same time how incredibly important this world is to us. Both those things are true and there is no cognitive dissonance involved.
you didn't really address the statement. Is anti-anti-religion or anti-god prone to less errors? Is anti-anti-god valid under more conditional changes or is anti-god more valid under more conditional changes?

what is one more dangerous? fundy think atheism? or anti-fundy-think-type-atheist?

I know you can't answer openly and honestly ...

Be that as it may.

for me, the only cognitive dissonance I see in your position (I call a sect of atheism) is that we need to answer based on how theist can use the information, anti-religion as the standard to evaluate the reliability of claim, and personal emotional statement of belief about god determines How the universe works.

that is a seriously dangerous cognitive disconnect. As seen around the world.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:22 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
The most astounding fact I would make a video about would be how I can hold
my hitchhiking thumb up to the sky - day or night - and obscured by my thumb going out
into space are 10,000 galaxies. And if anything are like our Milky Way -
each has 250 billion stars (+ or - 150 billion) most 50 xs or so larger than our Sun -
(compare our Sun as this dot . to a ping pong ball.)
Then, if I move my thumb 2 inches to the left or right ? 10,000 more Galaxies are straight out there.
If I hold my thumb to the ground? 10,000 more galaxies on the other side of the Earth.
Thank you Hubble Telescope!

God, no God - what does it matter?

"Be happy, don't worry"
Thank you Meher Baba

Old 01-19-2020, 06:41 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
The most astounding fact I would make a video about would be how I can hold
my hitchhiking thumb up to the sky - day or night - and obscured by my thumb going out
into space are 10,000 galaxies. And if anything are like our Milky Way -
each has 250 billion stars (+ or - 150 billion) most 50 xs or so larger than our Sun -
(compare our Sun as this dot . to a ping pong ball.)
Then, if I move my thumb 2 inches to the left or right ? 10,000 more Galaxies are straight out there.
If I hold my thumb to the ground? 10,000 more galaxies on the other side of the Earth.
Thank you Hubble Telescope!

God, no God - what does it matter?

"Be happy, don't worry"
Thank you Meher Baba
I am all for "it doesn't matter."

until it extends into determining the pedagogy for how do we teach people about the workings of the universe and law making.

Thats where we middle of the road-ers need to take a stand. it doesn't matter what we believe, we need to stand against fundy theism and militant atheism. they are both equally as dangerous.

example: one look around the world.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:

It may feel good to believe comfortable lies, but the truth is better, in the long run. And I imagine that Carl Sagan's pale blue dot is undeniably true, - you travel to the edge of the solar system and look back, that's what the earth looks like. To wave this away with a comment about his sounding as though he was on narcotics doesn't make you sound very credible.

Nor by the way does you attempt to blame reports of increased suicides on the knowledge (which is hardly new) that the molecules that make up the human body are the same as the ones that make up a squirrel's body. What is surely more important is that we don't let our minds trundle along by instinct (including the religious one) the way a squirrel does.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-19-2020 at 09:02 AM..

Old 01-19-2020, 09:12 AM

952 posts, read 323,818 times
Quote:
Wonderful ,
Now knowing that the atoms that comprise my life on earth are the exact same atoms that comprise the Squirrel's life on earth, and likewise are the exact same atom's that comprise the mongoose's life on earth, I can gaze skyward and marvel at the fact that the communal crucible that collectively cooked our light elements together gives me complete assurance that my life has just as much meaning as the squirrel's or the frog's life .
No wonder young people being taught this stuff are killing themselves today in epidemic proportions.
Their death is no more meaningful than the atoms of the squirrel lying there squashed flat in the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Obviously, we find meaning and comfort in different things.

And just why do you insist that your life just has to be more meaningful than a squirrel's in the grand scheme of things?
Exactly !
And with the children being instructed today that they may actually be less meaningful in the grand scheme than the squirrel or the ape why is the atheist community so disturbed by record numbers and climbing of young people killing themselves .
It is no different than the squirrel hurling itself under the tires of a vehicle after all .
Right back to the cosmic crucible for reconstitution of our atomic light elements.
Leave the kids alone .

https://diversityis.com/young-people...research-shows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism