Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2020, 08:02 AM

12 posts, read 4,877 times

Advertisements

I like the concept of the Nolan Chart, it compels people to confront their entire political belief system in a rational way.

I am wondering whether or not anyone has constructed something similar for
other types of belief. I am not sure what to term the other category: religion? superstition?
Ideally, the chart would encompass questions that include all types of religion
and ideally it would have a chart that includes agnosticism and atheism.

I am far too uneducated to create such a thing, and have not yet found anything like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 03:20 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
The Nolan chart follows the popular (one might say, generally accepted) view of US bicameral politics at least, and i like how authoritarian Left can switch, Tao -like, into Authoritarian Right at the switch of a cap-badge.

I'm not sire how it would work with Religions, though, as i tend to se them as the same sort of thinking. It might work if you did it with religious and irreligious thought, though

(1) angry vengeful god; you are filthy sinners and deserve to burn (1).
(2) loving caring God who would save you from evils, but the Prime Directive prevents him
(3) a sortagod who doesn't give a crap, really.
(4) something more than just chemicals.
(5) just chemicals. Especially the ones that do the brain up.

Nolan Chart Form

(1) I know it's confusing, isn't it? Yes of course I'm a Miserable sinner too, but I am excused because i belong to the Elite Club that excuses me all rules. (The principle of the Elite Club is too much and too far off -topic to go into here, but think of it next time a woman pushes to the front of the checkout queue because she's pushing a pram).

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-10-2020 at 03:34 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The Nolan chart follows the popular (one might say, generally accepted) view of US bicameral politics at least, and i like how authoritarian Left can switch, Tao -like, into Authoritarian Right at the switch of a cap-badge.

I'm not sire how it would work with Religions, though, as i tend to se them as the same sort of thinking. It might work if you did it with religious and irreligious thought, though

(1) angry vengeful god; you are filthy sinners and deserve to burn (1).
(2) loving caring God who would save you from evils, but the Prime Directive prevents him
(3) a sortagod who doesn't give a crap, really.
(4) something more than just chemicals.
(5) just chemicals. Especially the ones that do the brain up.

Nolan Chart Form

(1) I know it's confusing, isn't it? Yes of course I'm a Miserable sinner too, but I am excused because i belong to the Elite Club that excuses me all rules. (The principle of the Elite Club is too much and too far off -topic to go into here, but think of it next time a woman pushes to the front of the checkout queue because she's pushing a pram).

I think it is a mistake to describe religion as "thinking" exactly.

And I am certain that all religions would VIOLENTLY object to your attitude that
"it's all the same".

An example: The chart I have in mind would be to poke a sharp stick in the eye of a Christian Vegetarian,
and make them realize "Hey, I'm actually a Hindu". That's just an example.

The Nolan Chart should be used to blast people in the face and show them how absurd
and INCONSISTENT their beliefs are. Almost everyone is an arrogant *******, underinformed, entitled, shallow,
and that VERY much includes those CLAIMING to be "rational".

That is what I have in mind.

With the entire planet so GROTESQUELY overpopulated, the woman
with the pram not only should not go to the front of the que, she should be
EXECUTED ON SIGHT for taking up more than her fair share of world resources.
And no, I am not kidding or exaggerating.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:03 PM

Good points, but don't confuse shibboleths with religions. It's as bad as finding 'sects' in atheism because we are all individuals, just the same as all the others. Think of it as like Music or art or any other human construct. They differ from culture to culture; some so much that others won't see it as music or art at all. Yet it is the same human Thinking (or I should say, instinct) that creates it.

I won'r (studiously) comment on the rest of your post. I can probably leave that to a few others.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Good points, but don't confuse shibboleths with religions. It's as bad as finding 'sects' in atheism because we are all individuals, just the same as all the others. Think of it as like Music or art or any other human construct. They differ from culture to culture; some so much that others won't see it as music or art at all. Yet it is the same human Thinking (or I should say, instinct) that creates it.

I won'r (studiously) comment on the rest of your post. I can probably leave that to a few others.
Vanishingly few things calling themselves religions endorse any sort of individualism or personal
judgement. Quite the contrary.

and it is the same with political concepts.

Music and Art are concepts governed by rules and physical limitations, unless you're the type of a hole that thinks "atonal noise" is music or smearing dog feces on canvas is art.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:21 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
I'd be willing to expand the definition of religion to any and all dogma based belief systems. They are all cults. The big fat successful ones get called religions or ideologies, but at bottom they remain cults. The ideologies may lack a god, but they typically do have a god like figure at the the top.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat44 View Post
Vanishingly few things calling themselves religions endorse any sort of individualism or personal
judgement. Quite the contrary.

and it is the same with political concepts.

Music and Art are concepts governed by rules and physical limitations, unless you're the type of a hole that thinks "atonal noise" is music or smearing dog feces on canvas is art.
Religions do not encourage individual thought, it's true. But people are ornery types, nevertheless and Will ask awkward questions and can leave to form their own splinter-group if their views differ (or look for a church that suits them better). And the same with politics, as you say.

As for art and music, as human constructs we make rules. And yet ornery humans will look to push or break the rules. And i approve of this. Though I am rather inclined to agree with you about atonal music, at least. I have a theory that some composers have sought to eliminate human preferences (the study of human innate preferences for certain tones and intervals is an interesting one) and find what is the basic essence of music and end up with Nothing. because there is no Music other than what human instinct (codified by an evolved system of rules) has created.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'd be willing to expand the definition of religion to any and all dogma based belief systems. They are all cults. The big fat successful ones get called religions or ideologies, but at bottom they remain cults. The ideologies may lack a god, but they typically do have a god like figure at the the top.
Or, as I say, a 'quasi' god, such as karma, Tao or Thetans. What makes it a religion being not what it Is (or claimed to be) but how we treat the concept.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat44 View Post
I like the concept of the Nolan Chart, it compels people to confront their entire political belief system in a rational way.

I am wondering whether or not anyone has constructed something similar for
other types of belief. I am not sure what to term the other category: religion? superstition?
Ideally, the chart would encompass questions that include all types of religion
and ideally it would have a chart that includes agnosticism and atheism.

I am far too uneducated to create such a thing, and have not yet found anything like it.
Good grief.

This one's been around for years.

https://scienceblogs.com/grrlscienti...determine-what

I think it's pretty good!

Old 02-10-2020, 06:15 PM

Default Not to be taken too seriously or as prescribed by doctors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Good grief.

This one's been around for years.

https://scienceblogs.com/grrlscienti...determine-what

I think it's pretty good!
I'd love to see one about atheism.

'Are you an idle sod?' ('atheist. ) are you a pain in the ass?" (Atheist activist)
I
are you a pain in the ass as well as an idle sod? (Anti -atheist )

are you useless with computers?
I
Yes (Forum atheist) No (Website atheist)

...and so -on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism