Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 10:02 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,255,902 times

Advertisements

Atheism is to me radical truth telling, especially about oneself.

It does not free you. It makes you a slave to data and logic.

At its most extreme atheism can lead to a deterministic view of life, with no free will. This is not certain, however, and in any case it is a shared state of all people and thus easier to accept.

The harder thing to accept are the questions of justice and status. Atheism means there is no justice, there is no afterlife, there is no leveling. Some people are born slaves and die slaves. There is no redemption.

The classic argument, which is not meritless, is that this knowledge should spur us on to build a better world. However that has limits. People born with biological disabilities or chronic pain will never be free of their bodies. And there is no solution for low status. Status is relative, and it will scale with efforts to eradicate it.

Religion is an attempt to solve these problems with belief systems. But stripped of belief the intractability of many problems is laid bare.

I am skeptical of atheists who seem to express excitement at the spread of atheism, as if it will usher in a new age. I think atheism should be couched in sobriety and resignation about much of the human condition. That can humanize you, so to speak, buy it is also very depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 10:06 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

At its most extreme atheism can lead to a deterministic view of life, with no free will. This is not certain, however, and in any case it is a shared state of all people and thus easier to accept.

The harder thing to accept are the questions of justice and status. Atheism means there is no justice, there is no afterlife, there is no leveling. Some people are born slaves and die slaves. There is no redemption.

The classic argument, which is not meritless, is that this knowledge should spur us on to build a better world. However that has limits. People born with biological disabilities or chronic pain will never be free of their bodies. And there is no solution for low status. Status is relative, and it will scale with efforts to eradicate it.

Religion is an attempt to solve these problems with belief systems. But stripped of belief the intractability of many problems is laid bare.

I am skeptical of atheists who seem to express excitement at the spread of atheism, as if it will usher in a new age. I think atheism should be couched in sobriety and resignation about much of the human condition. That can humanize you, so to speak, buy it is also very depressing.
Other than being a rather daft post, I draw your attention specifically to the bolded. First, you have no idea at all what actually happens after death. Whether there is any leveling. How about if god just ends slavery for the living. But I guess there's just as much chance of that happening as the Corona virus suffering ending tomorrow. A powerless god...if there even is one.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Other than being a rather daft post, I draw your attention specifically to the bolded. First, you have no idea at all what actually happens after death. Whether there is any leveling. How about if god just ends slavery for the living. But I guess there's just as much chance of that happening as the Corona virus suffering ending tomorrow. A powerless god...if there even is one.
We have not measured anything emanating from a body after death. I don't see a point in conjecture about what happens to nonexistent energy or particles. We have been down the road of conjecture about things unmeasurable for eons and it got us nowhere.

If you actually think we can somehow construct a society where everybody is happy with themselves and their place in the world... well I think that's daft.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:26 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
We have not measured anything emanating from a body after death. I don't see a point in conjecture about what happens to nonexistent energy or particles. We have been down the road of conjecture about things unmeasurable for eons and it got us nowhere.

If you actually think we can somehow construct a society where everybody is happy with themselves and their place in the world... well I think that's daft.
If you don't see the point about conjecture, why was that exactly what your original post was -- conjecture?

Old 03-15-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If you don't see the point about conjecture, why was that exactly what your original post was -- conjecture?
Assuming nothing with an absence of evidence is better than assuming something with an absence of evidence.

I see no evidence for an afterlife. That does not mean it's a 50/50 chance there is or is not an afterlife. It means unless new evidence comes to light, there is no afterlife.

People paint their dreams on the canvas of the afterlife, and those dreams are often the opposite of what we experience. That should tell you all you need to know about the psychology of afterlife-belief.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:34 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:

And that is so much worse than being a slave to fear and superstition.

Look, even many religious people are well aware of the human condition and talk about the dark night of the soul. Religion can't save a thinking person from wrestling with these issues. After all, god either "let" the holocaust happen, or actively intended it to happen, right? As well as every single war, every single act of inhumanity, every single act of torture, and every single plague that has occurred over human history. That's a pretty darn depressing belief, don't you think?

Old 03-15-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And that is so much worse than being a slave to fear and superstition.

Look, even many religious people are well aware of the human condition talk about the dark night of the soul. Religion can't save a thinking person from wrestling with these issues. After all, god either "let" the holocaust happen, or actively intended it to happen, right? As well as every single war, every single act of inhumanity, every single act of torture, and every single plague that has occurred over human history. That's a pretty darn depressing belief, don't you think?
It is not worse. It is definitely different.

I think most people gloss over the nature of life by focusing on the particular, that is, themselves. Bad things happen to other people, but I'll be alright. A lot of religious people also don't really understand the problem of evil and think that god is all good, and they are in good hands.

My bone to pick is not with religious people though. My bone to pick is with "millennarian atheists" who think atheism is liberating. It liberates in some ways and chains in others. Someone who believes a change in mind can set you free is deluded IMO. Your happiness and freedom are mostly determined by random things outside of your control.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:34 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,181,689 times
I have never been religious so I can only tell you what all of my family, friends and coworkers who were once religious who are now atheists said.

And that is they are all extremely relieved to not be filled with fear and guilt and shame anymore. They feel free now and enjoy life to the fullest which they were not able to do before. They are so much happier in every way and appreciate life so much more.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
I have never been religious so I can only tell you what all of my family, friends and coworkers who were once religious who are now atheists said.

And that is they are all extremely relieved to not be filled with fear and guilt and shame anymore. They feel free now and enjoy life to the fullest which they were not able to do before. They are so much happier in every way and appreciate life so much more.
Can I ask if your friends and family are materially well off?

Old 03-16-2020, 06:11 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,181,689 times
Quote:
Can I ask if your friends and family are materially well off?
They are not super wealthy or anything, but they make a decent living. Its a lot of different people I am talking about so some have a better living than others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism