Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 04:06 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm not that familiar with your perspective. Do my remarks bother you because you do it? That's what it would appear. This is, after all, the A-theist forum. Perhaps you took a wrong turn somewhere and got lost in the woods with no cookie crumbs to get back to grandma's house.
Yes, it's the atheist/agnostic forum.

It unfortunately runs most days as the KZ153 "And another thing deists do that totally honk me off" forum, and that passes as discourse between nominally intelligent people who might see "atheist" as a basis for positive discussion, not endless screaming about what the neighbors are doing.

Like far too many who style themselves atheist, it seems to be nothing about 'not believing in a deity; let's move on' and being completely obsessed with people that do. A pathological need to prove one's own (non)beliefs against a world of stupid believers.

But, as Lazarus Long once put it, excuse me; I seem to be in the wrong pew. Unchecking this forum since I'm interested in, you know, discussion of what life means without the baggage of religion and so forth rather than just being endlessly and tiresomely reminded that not everyone is so enlightened.

Have fun now. Oh, look — Jehovah's Witnesses! <runs away very quickly>

Old 04-26-2020, 04:28 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm not that familiar with your perspective. Do my remarks bother you because you do it? That's what it would appear. This is, after all, the A-theist forum. Perhaps you took a wrong turn somewhere and got lost in the woods with no cookie crumbs to get back to grandma's house.

Well, we are all free to roam here and thither in these forums. Atheists most obviously do, they are in every thread in R&S. After all how many discussions can you have with the argument no-God.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:35 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post

It unfortunately runs most days as the KZ153 "And another thing deists do that totally honk me off" forum, and that passes as discourse between nominally intelligent people who might see "atheist" as a basis for positive discussion, not endless screaming about what the neighbors are doing.

Like far too many who style themselves atheist, it seems to be nothing about 'not believing in a deity; let's move on' and being completely obsessed with people that do. A pathological need to prove one's own (non)beliefs against a world of stupid believers.

But, as Lazarus Long once put it, excuse me; I seem to be in the wrong pew. Unchecking this forum since I'm interested in, you know, discussion of what life means without the baggage of religion and so forth rather than just being endlessly and tiresomely reminded that not everyone is so enlightened.

I hope you're not saying that christians are not very much into "endless screaming about what the neighbors are doing". Ever hear of proselytizing????? Ever here of the religious trying to pass laws that affect everyone?????

Old 04-26-2020, 07:04 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post

It does get tiresome...but it really all boils down to "here's another example of how dumb deists are". Oh, there's lip service to a couple smart scientists who amazingly aren't atheists but otherwise it is thinly veiled intellectual superiority.

I mean, hey, my IQ is 145 and I count myself as an atheist so I'm helping out the correlation but jeeeeeezzzz (sorry!)

Old 04-26-2020, 07:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It does get tiresome...but it really all boils down to "here's another example of how dumb deists are". Oh, there's lip service to a couple smart scientists who amazingly aren't atheists but otherwise it is thinly veiled intellectual superiority.

I mean, hey, my IQ is 145 and I count myself as an atheist so I'm helping out the correlation but jeeeeeezzzz (sorry!)
Mine was also measured at 145 when I was 14. I am not an atheist.

So we cancel each other out.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:58 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Old 04-26-2020, 09:04 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

Quote:
And mine's 290, and I have no evidence of a God, but I sense there is something that connects us all, so I encompass both of you.

Plus, I'm the Mighty Queen.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:23 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I hope you're not saying that christians are not very much into "endless screaming about what the neighbors are doing". Ever hear of proselytizing????? Ever here of the religious trying to pass laws that affect everyone?????
Yes, but Christians are nice people, but atheists must hate all those very nice Christians because militant atheists point out the stupid arguments some Christians make, therefore we do not even need to address the points the OP made, because nasty militant athesists.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:23 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
I mean, hey, my IQ is 145
Quote:
Mine was also measured at 145 when I was 14.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And mine's 290
Sorry, not buying it...

None of you even took a stab at Grandstander's Train question on the "Ask An Atheist Anything" thread let alone solved it.

"If a train full of Atheists left Los Angeles traveling to Sparta Mississippi at an average speed of 37 mph, and at the same time a a train full of Fundamentalists left Sparta traveling toward LA at an average speed of 43 mph, where would they meet"?

Old 04-27-2020, 07:59 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Sorry, not buying it...

None of you even took a stab at Grandstander's Train question on the "Ask An Atheist Anything" thread let alone solved it.

"If a train full of Atheists left Los Angeles traveling to Sparta Mississippi at an average speed of 37 mph, and at the same time a a train full of Fundamentalists left Sparta traveling toward LA at an average speed of 43 mph, where would they meet"?
Distance equals velocity multiply by time: D=vt

Distance between the two cities is 1946 miles.

43(t)+37(t) = 1946

Look at the map and see where they meet. Obviously time (t) is the same for both when they meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism