Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 11:02 PM

50,852 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

My favorite new show this television season has been "God Friended Me", which may seem odd considering that I am an atheist. Of course, the main character is also an atheist, although in the series he appears to be doing "god's work".

It's an interesting show, and better than much of what I find on network television.

But watching tonight's episode it suddenly dawned on me that what the program's "do-gooder" does, whether he is atheist or being manipulated by god. He demonstrates exactly one of the biggest issues I have with quite a few christians -- sticking their nose into other people's business...not backing off when asked to do so...and all because they think they know better even when something is not about them.

And that is exactly one of the reasons that I speak out on this forum.

Last edited by phetaroi; 03-30-2020 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 09:18 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,910,626 times
You think it's interesting?

Old 03-30-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
You think it's interesting?
As network television shows go.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As network television shows go.
I guess. I think it's a silly premise and my time is too valuable.

Several members of a Chinese-American family were stabbed not far distant from here, because the crazy person who stabbed them felt they were spreading the virus. I try to avoid stupid: it saves time. And it's not in the least interesting, not even a little bit.

Look how stupid the vast "Army" of hysterical teenaged fans of the Korean boy-band BTS (BTS promotes them as "Army"). There is vast amounts of video evidence that most of the band members are gay. Nothing wrong with that. But these girls (mostly girls) are pining over young men who would not pay them any attention, at all, at least romantically and in terms of personal relationship, in actuality.

There are probably a million of these BTS fans all over the planet. They spend billions of dollars for merchandise and concert tickets. Some even move from (say) Scotland to Korea, in hopes of being near these guys.

Stupidity appears to be the norm.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I guess. I think it's a silly premise and my time is too valuable.

Several members of a Chinese-American family were stabbed not far distant from here, because the crazy person who stabbed them felt they were spreading the virus. I try to avoid stupid: it saves time. And it's not in the least interesting, not even a little bit.

Look how stupid the vast "Army" of hysterical teenaged fans of the Korean boy-band BTS (BTS promotes them as "Army"). There is vast amounts of video evidence that most of the band members are gay. Nothing wrong with that. But these girls (mostly girls) are pining over young men who would not pay them any attention, at all, at least romantically and in terms of personal relationship, in actuality.

There are probably a million of these BTS fans all over the planet. They spend billions of dollars for merchandise and concert tickets. Some even move from (say) Scotland to Korea, in hopes of being near these guys.

Stupidity appears to be the norm.
Try to keep in mind that some things that entertain you are disdained by millions of others.

And "liking" a show (or other entertainment) is a lot different than being hysterical about it.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Try to keep in mind that some things that entertain you are disdained by millions of others.

And "liking" a show (or other entertainment) is a lot different than being hysterical about it.
True in both instances. I find BTS entertaining, still, but I'm, as Germain Greer wrote, hopelessly straight, and the beauty of handsome men is not lost on me. I think the "Army," however has more to do with budding teenage sexuality. And you conflated the two, rather confusingly. I never intimated you were hysterical about that tv show.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
True in both instances. I find BTS entertaining, still, but I'm, as Germain Greer wrote, hopelessly straight, and the beauty of handsome men is not lost on me. I think the "Army," however has more to do with budding teenage sexuality. And you conflated the two, rather confusingly. I never intimated you were hysterical about that tv show.
I didn't say that you did, but you mentioned the fans of boy bands.

But I would prefer we get back to the actual topic.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:01 PM

3,736 posts, read 2,566,784 times
I watched the series premiere, it reminded me of the old series Highway to Heaven.. basically people being conscripted to carry out God's work.

As far as your negative experience w/meddling Christians, that's fair. But not all Christians practice overbearing interference.. I think some of that had to do with innate personality types more than beliefs. Seems like every religion & political movement contains that type in their ranks. peace.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I watched the series premiere, it reminded me of the old series Highway to Heaven.. basically people being conscripted to carry out God's work.

As far as your negative experience w/meddling Christians, that's fair. But not all Christians practice overbearing interference.. I think some of that had to do with innate personality types more than beliefs. Seems like every religion & political movement contains that type in their ranks. peace.
But that's why I said, "...one of the biggest issues I have with quite a few christians".

Old 03-31-2020, 03:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Criticism will elicit the common response 'Why can't you look at the positive side' or the suggestion that they are not all like that, so (or so it seems) no criticism should be levelled at those who are because those 'other' Christians take that personally.

It's understandable because Christian apologetics broad -brushes atheists. Notably by pointing to Stalin and Pol Pot and saying 'that's what atheism is'.

Of course if the 'aren't like that', then they should be also disapproving of the ones who evangelise, but that would put then in agreement with them atheists, and we can't have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism