Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 07:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,871,984 times

Advertisements

I've been criticized for associating low intelligence and being religious. Both anecdotally and according to numerous research projects, there does seem to be an inverse relationship. Nonetheless, there are several people in my life who are quietly religious and extremely sweet, lovable and trustworthy. I'm thinking of seven families, one that works for me, four are students, one is a colleague. . . three protestant, a Muslim, and two Catholic.

Very different religious perspectives, but what they have in common is that they are kind, loyal, decent, trustworthy, family oriented, patient, open-minded. They're just good people. And by no means stupid, racist, or fanatical politically or in any other area. None has proselytized. So there goes that theory. With or without religion, I think they would be who they are.

When I talk about religious people being stupid, I am not referring to people like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 08:34 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,488,259 times
I agree. I have known and been friendly with, a number of Christians. and in fact very nice people. But deluded. And in their arguments, which usually came out of making claims to me when they asked about my views on the matter, as ill informed, closed -minded and intellectually dishonest as the theist apologists we get here. It just goes with the Job.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I agree. I have known and been friendly with, a number of Christians. and in fact very nice people. But deluded. And in their arguments, which usually came out of making claims to me when they asked about my views on the matter, as ill informed, closed -minded and intellectually dishonest as the theist apologists we get here. It just goes with the Job.
Yeah. I haven't argued or even discussed in passing, anything about their beliefs. Or mentioned mine. I guess, none of us want to disturb the relationship. It would be ill-mannered and pointless to bring it up. A little crazy and fanatical.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:00 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,272,347 times
Quote:
I will say I have also met some atheists that are half way decent.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Yeah. I haven't argued or even discussed in passing, anything about their beliefs. Or mentioned mine. I guess, none of us want to disturb the relationship. It would be ill-mannered and pointless to bring it up. A little crazy and fanatical.
It doesn't come up. I don't even remember how the discussion got started. Probably (at that time) because it became known that I was doing Buddhism impressions, mainly to get into the future Mrs. Arq's Longyi. So they had to start preaching that Christianity was better historically based, which is one argument that I recall. and etc.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
It doesn't come up. I don't even remember how the discussion got started. Probably (at that time) because it became known that I was doing Buddhism impressions, mainly to get into the future Mrs. Arq's Longyi. So they had to start preaching that Christianity was better historically based, which is one argument that I recall. and etc.
That's funny. Longyi was a new word for me. Is your wife from Burma?

It is astonishing how we humans can hold contradictory beliefs at the same time, such that if we followed the ideas to their conclusion points, our little minds would melt down.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
That's funny. Longyi was a new word for me. Is your wife from Burma?
Yep. Longgyi (or Lungyi) is a sort of Myanmar sarong. Of course, Mrs. Arq's didn't fit me as I hadn't realised that Longyi for girls are altered to fit.

Let's see whether i can find a clip of the stunning Myammar girls of the kind that blew my mind when i first visited in the 80's when I was young and beautiful
Let's see whether this works..

https://www.indochina.tours/wp-conte...al-costume.jpg

I won't tell my story ('chapter 4 of my memoirs "The wonderful story of my fantastic life") nor discuss the Rodya problem. This isn't the topic.

Quote:
It is astonishing how we humans can hold contradictory beliefs at the same time, such that if we followed the ideas to their conclusion points, our little minds would melt down.
Indeed. This is why Understanding the other point of view, even if not agreeing with it, is essential, or people just talk past each other.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-12-2020 at 06:07 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Yep. Longgyi (or Lungyi) is a sort of Myanmar sarong. Of course, Mrs. Arq's didn't fit me as I hadn't realised that Longyi for girls are altered to fit.

Let's see whether i can find a clip of the stunning Myammar girls of the kind that blew my mind when i first visited in the 80's when I was young and beautiful
Let's see whether this works..

https://www.indochina.tours/wp-conte...al-costume.jpg

I won't tell my story ('chapter 4 of my memoirs "The wonderful story of my fantastic life") nor discuss the Rodya problem. This isn't the topic.

Indeed. This is why Understanding the other point of view, even if not agreeing with it, is essential, or people just talk past each other.
Cognitive dissonance. As I'm sure you may know, one way of studying the history of western music is through the perspective of dissonance: what, in other words, was a culturally accepted type or amount of dissonance in the historic eras. So I love the idea of dissonance.

Could you think there is a relationship between intellect and the level of acceptance (of cognitive dissonance)?

In Texas we have to distinguish that Western music doesn't refer to Country & Western!

Old 05-12-2020, 12:15 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,996,121 times
Quote:
It's a sign of intelligence and humility in recognition that we cannot know what we don't know.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:21 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,578,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
It's a sign of intelligence and humility in recognition that we cannot know what we don't know.
What sign is it for someone believing and living a life based on things that we don’t know and making it their life’s mission for everyone to live the same way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism