Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 06:44 PM

729 posts, read 532,631 times

Advertisements

I recall a book by Judith Hays a long time back. In it she asked the question of this thread. If my son dies in the military defending against foreign invaders, then he was sacrificed. He is dead and not coming back. If someone runs into a burning building to rescue a group of children and elderly and he dies of burns, then he was sacrificed. He is dead and not coming back. If an about to be mother has a condition where the child can be born alive and healthy only if she gives up her life in the process, then she sacrificed. She is dead and not coming back. If an animal is "sacrificed" on an alter, the animal is dead and not coming back. If Jesus was truly sacrificed for our sins then why is he back from the dead? He should have remained dead. Or is he actually still dead but is an animated zombie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 06:49 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
This seems like an odd place to pose this question.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
What exactly did Jesus sacrifice?

His weekend -- or so the joke goes.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:00 PM

729 posts, read 532,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
This seems like an odd place to pose this question.
Moderator:
If this is the wrong place for this question, then please move it to a more proper place. But, I think some atheists can use this question in their "toolbox". Thank you.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:23 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
I recall a book by Judith Hays a long time back. In it she asked the question of this thread. If my son dies in the military defending against foreign invaders, then he was sacrificed. He is dead and not coming back. If someone runs into a burning building to rescue a group of children and elderly and he dies of burns, then he was sacrificed. He is dead and not coming back. If an about to be mother has a condition where the child can be born alive and healthy only if she gives up her life in the process, then she sacrificed. She is dead and not coming back. If an animal is "sacrificed" on an alter, the animal is dead and not coming back. If Jesus was truly sacrificed for our sins then why is he back from the dead? He should have remained dead. Or is he actually still dead but is an animated zombie?
The Romans crucified MANY thousands of people that they considered to be enemies of the state. Even though He never called Himself a king, that is what He was convicted of.
If He would have remained dead, then He would be completely forgotten and NO ONE would even remember His name, let alone worship Him. When He rose from the dead and was seen by others, I guess you would call Him half man and half spirit - or something like that because He wasn't easily recognized.
An animated zombie - Really? Maybe He was a guest on "The Walking Dead".
In the future, it is said that He will return to be seen by everyone who is still alive - ending WWIII and saving the rest of humanity from annihilation.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:26 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
If he was god he could have made it look like he was suffering on the cross while actually he was quite comfortable, maybe a little bored.

So, we don't know what was actually sacrificed, if anything. Anyone see any big change in human behavior before and after? If there was a sacrifice, it apparently didn't work.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:34 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
The Romans crucified MANY thousands of people that they considered to be enemies of the state. Even though He never called Himself a king, that is what He was convicted of.
If He would have remained dead, then He would be completely forgotten and NO ONE would even remember His name, let alone worship Him. When He rose from the dead and was seen by others, I guess you would call Him half man and half spirit - or something like that because He wasn't easily recognized.
An animated zombie - Really? Maybe He was a guest on "The Walking Dead".
In the future, it is said that He will return to be seen by everyone who is still alive - ending WWIII and saving the rest of humanity from annihilation.
Swish!

That was the point passing right over your head.

So he was - in theory - "dead" for three days. So what did this immortal being actually sacrifice?

I've sacrificed far more time than that waiting in lines. So have you probably, and we're both mortal.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
yuppers.

he was dead in 8 hours and I am married over 30 years. he got off easy.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:46 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
What exactly did Jesus sacrifice?

His weekend -- or so the joke goes.

"Jesus was slightly inconvenienced for your sins"

I won't go into the ideas that (if the gospel accounts are reliable, which they aren't) Jesus didn't die at all.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:52 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Swish!

That was the point passing right over your head.

So he was - in theory - "dead" for three days. So what did this immortal being actually sacrifice?

I've sacrificed far more time than that waiting in lines. So have you probably, and we're both mortal.
You're not interested in hearing about "sins" so there is no point in wasting my time on that.
Since you want to talk about "waiting in lines" and another poster talked about his or her marriage (and actually He was on the cross for about 3 hours because He was whipped so badly that He must have been near death before the nails killed Him), He spent His entire life of 33 years knowing that He would have to die in this manner. He was the "goat" that needed to die for the rest of humanity for all of the years to come.
Another "sacrifice" that He had to make, was He would NEVER be able to know what it would be like to have sexual relations with a woman (or with another man - for those of you who prefer other men).

I realize that this probably doesn't "satisfy" your skepticism (aka - Swish - Your NEED to feel like you "won" again over a Christian) but O.K.

Thank You. I came to this forum last night out of curiosity. I saw this question and I decided to TRY to answer it in as less of a religious way as possible. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism