Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 11:55 AM

5,528 posts, read 3,207,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Saint Augustine touched that subject in a rather comprehensive manner in the 4th century.

Augustine proposed that evil could not exist within God, nor be created by God, and is instead a by-product of God's creativity. He rejected the notion that evil exists in itself, proposing instead that it is a privation of (or falling away from) good, and a corruption of nature. WIKI
A by-product or lack of good? So the void preexists god?

I'm not sure if you buy that argument and are just putting it forward for the sake of argument.

The consensus even among theologians is that theodicy is unresolvable. Those who continue to believe in god usually call it a mystery or unknowable as to how it is resolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 12:18 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,057,201 times
Quote:
A benevolent God is illogical. If there is such a thing as a God then God must be indifferent to pain.
Thus, god-things are indifferent to humans, so whether a god exists or not is irrelevant.

Quote:
Saint Augustine touched that subject in a rather comprehensive manner in the 4th century.

Augustine proposed that evil could not exist within God, nor be created by God, and is instead a by-product of God's creativity. He rejected the notion that evil exists in itself, proposing instead that it is a privation of (or falling away from) good, and a corruption of nature. WIKI
A PUKI? Really?

Augusturd ignores the fact that his god-thing created man in his image and in his likeness, so if humans are evil or act evil, then that is literally a reflection of the god-thing.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:23 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,279,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
A by-product or lack of good? So the void preexists god?

I'm not sure if you buy that argument and are just putting it forward for the sake of argument.

The consensus even among theologians is that theodicy is unresolvable. Those who continue to believe in god usually call it a mystery or unknowable as to how it is resolved.
If there is such a thing as the God pushed forth by Christians, Jews and Muslims one would NOT expect any evil associated with God. IN fact, on a metaphysical level Satan would not exist. In the end Satan was a preaching tool to attract converts.

The evil originates among humans because they have free will. The creation is more perfect if MANKIND has free will. A creation where MAN has no free will is not fun. I am talking free will within the context of Christianity.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Thus, god-things are indifferent to humans, so whether a god exists or not is irrelevant.

A PUKI? Really?

Augusturd ignores the fact that his god-thing created man in his image and in his likeness, so if humans are evil or act evil, then that is literally a reflection of the god-thing.
Go away dude!

Old 12-17-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
If there is such a thing as the God pushed forth by Christians, Jews and Muslims one would NOT expect any evil associated with God. IN fact, on a metaphysical level Satan would not exist. In the end Satan was a preaching tool to attract converts.

The evil originates among humans because they have free will. The creation is more perfect if MANKIND has free will. A creation where MAN has no free will is not fun. I am talking free will within the context of Christianity.
Free will and omniscience are in conflict. If god knows everything about the future, you have no free will.

Two and a half legs.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:49 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,483,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

A PUKI? Really?

"Irrelevant" is a personal opinion/personal need.

It is only about if there is something or not something. I can see why you go with personal opinion, personal opinion means you can ignore the science and believe what you want. Some theist do it so I have no doubt that some atheist will too.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Free will and omniscience are in conflict. If god knows everything about the future, you have no free will.

Two and a half legs.
Yes, free will is an illusion whether God is real or not. However, if you are discussing theology then you must play by the rules. The theologians believed in free will. In fact Aquinas agrees with Augustine on this issue. This keeps God in total pure state of GOOD.

However, there is no such thing as GOOD or EVIL. If there is a God he (apologies to the feminists) is better off assuming free will. Or giving the humans the illusion of free will. Free will also provides an indirect convenient explanation to natural disasters that kill the innocent.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:00 PM

3,009 posts, read 2,203,680 times
Am I the only one who always heard it as omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent?

I just googled. Omnibenevolent is a Catholic thing? So they have 4 legs. And I guess all-loving because he loves us even when we screw up.

Side-stepping whatever mess you have going on up there, I'm sticking with my 3.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, free will is an illusion whether God is real or not. However, if you are discussing theology then you must play by the rules. The theologians believed in free will. In fact Aquinas agrees with Augustine on this issue. This keeps God in total pure state of GOOD.

However, there is no such thing as GOOD or EVIL. If there is a God he (apologies to the feminists) is better off assuming free will. Or giving the humans the illusion of free will. Free will also provides an indirect convenient explanation to natural disasters that kill the innocent.
Ok free will is an illusion. Then how does evil fill the void that opens from disobeying god's will? Did god disobey himself?

And how does divine judgement make sense if all actions are preordained by God?

And how can god be in a state of good if good or evil doesn't exist? You just contradicted yourself, which always ends up happening whenever you try to resolve theodicy.

You can't resolve it. The three statements are not logically consistent.

Augustine and Aquinas are just apologists.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:03 PM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times
Quote:

Good for Augustine. I don't buy it, even if we accept that the incidental evil was the best Plan that god (name your own) could make work, it can do anything, and so could intervene supernaturally to alleviate some of those incidental evils.

That nothing like that happens persuades me, there ain't no god. Not around here.

Quote:
A benevolent God would take out the fun of being human. If I was God I would not be benevolent.
I don't know. If you made me a god now, I'd be able to remember when something was better than it is now and 'make it so' and let the savants wonder about how it happened and give the believers some evidence.

That nothing like that happens convinces me, there ain't no god, not around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism