Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 08:19 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Whatever you like. The bottom line is still 'agnosticism' other than what has been scientifically validated.
I don't think scientifically validated is your major concern. In fact, I think when you need to avoid science that "slows you down" you lessen the need for "strength of evidence.

Otherwise you would say ... base on strength of evidence that is ... Us being in a more complex system is not only validated, but its the motivator for science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 05:06 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I have read some of the books by atheists. Mostly to find out what they are saying as they are referred to by theists as our spokesmen. I did buy The God Delusion in an airport and found it interesting. Actually read it a couple of times. I already had Gould book The Rock of Ages that argues that science and religion are totally separate realms.

I have read more Dawkins books like the Ancestors Tale and The Greatest Show on Earth but they are not about atheism. I also read a book by Harris but didn't care for it. What I watched or heard from Tyson was about science.

I have probably read more books about creationism and flood geology than about atheism.

The only real reason to read about atheism is to try to understand some of the responds made against theists. I enjoy learning both sides. I also watch some of the clips of the atheists shows, seldom of the ones of atheists calling in as when theists call in some of them make decent points and some show the lack of critical thinking. Atheists call in just to brag about how much atheism is which is a waste of time.

I was an atheist long before I knew about any of the mentioned ones or realized they were too. The only person outside this forum that I have seriously discussed atheism is my wife. She was brought up a weddings and funerals Christian and is well read in Wicca and old myths. She thinks the possibility for a God existing is considerable less than mine.
The God Delusion, God Is Not Great, and The End Of Faith are three of the best books I've ever read in any genre or on any subject. Some of these book-eschewing atheists who commented before you don't know what they're missing

Old 02-03-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
The God Delusion, God Is Not Great, and The End Of Faith are three of the best books I've ever read in any genre or on any subject. Some of these book-eschewing atheists who commented before you don't know what they're missing
sound like you found your holy books to me. The god delusion is the best book ever? Sounds like a Christian describing the bible. The god delusion is ok at best. But I can see people of faith deeply affected by it.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:24 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
sound like you found your holy books to me. The god delusion is the best book ever? Sounds like a Christian describing the bible. The god delusion is ok at best. But I can see people of faith deeply affected by it.
Philosophy major here. These books fall under that general umbrella. I like the art of logical argument, and in the cases of these three books, the artistry of the writing is admirable. Logic + rhetorical skill + factual enlightenment + entertaining anecdotes (mostly in Hitch's case) + humor = great reads. And these books did in fact help enable/solidify my deconversion from Christianity. But thanks for making assumptions, something I'd always assume you to be capable of doing.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:08 AM

2,962 posts, read 864,084 times
Quote:
Philosophy major here. These books fall under that general umbrella. I like the art of logical argument, and in the cases of these three books, the artistry of the writing is admirable. Logic + rhetorical skill + factual enlightenment + entertaining anecdotes (mostly in Hitch's case) + humor = great reads. And these books did in fact help enable/solidify my deconversion from Christianity. But thanks for making assumptions, something I'd always assume you to be capable of doing.
Do you disagree with Michael Ruse’s assessment of the book, ‘The God Delusion”?

Old 02-04-2021, 12:20 AM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Do you disagree with Michael Ruse’s assessment of the book, ‘The God Delusion”?
I do not know why Ruse has a problem, all I have is your constant argumentum ad auctoritate about a man who uses other people arguments. At least the logic in Dawkin's book supports atheism. Your logic said your god can not possibly exist.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:26 AM

Quote:
You posted:

"The God Delusion, God Is Not Great, and The End Of Faith are three of the best books I've ever read in any genre or on any subject. Some of these book-eschewing atheists who commented before you don't know what they're missing"

Far from an assumption on my part.

Yeah, you needed help in your deconversion and those books spoke to you. Their witness resonated with you. You find strength and hope in their witness.

I must say, you are another data point for my claim atheist and theist have people in them that think alike.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:29 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
The End of Faith should be required reading for all religious people, hehe.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:31 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
I don't follow anyone because they are atheist.

I follow a couple of people who happen to be atheist but that's not the reason I follow them.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:47 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I do not know why Ruse has a problem, all I have is your constant argumentum ad auctoritate about a man who uses other people arguments. At least the logic in Dawkin's book supports atheism. Your logic said your god can not possibly exist.
Alvin Plantinga agrees with Ruse that Dawkins is out of his depth when he tries to engage in philosophy, which is mainly what The God Delusion is. He says, “many of [Dawkins’] arguments would receive a failing grade in a sophomore philosophy class.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism