Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 03:35 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,528,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Then why go? Mere habit?

And why was my paternal grandmother outraged that Mass would be in English when she couldn't understand a word of Latin?
It's about showing that you're part of the cult without which one is nothing. Anyone who diverges from the accepted norm becomee one of the enemy.

Didn't we see people talking God or the Infinite reality etc. and all apparently thinking that the terms they used to talk about it were the Right ones and the others all had to be corrected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 03:51 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,494,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
And how do you feel about how they think about other peoples Atheism, which is what I said. I said nothing about how 'christians actually THINK about what they believe.'
Peoples of a specific statement of belief about god need to police their better. Science has a pretty good way of making sure that it's people's nutty claims don't get to far out of control.

For example: "you said three people saw this guy? How many didn't see this guy that you claim is running the whole sha-bang. Its been 2000 years since then, has anybody else ever came back? Is there any cases where two, three, even four guys see an event differently or supported each other in a lie?"

Last edited by Arach Angle; 03-30-2021 at 04:32 AM..

Old 03-30-2021, 06:35 AM

10,497 posts, read 6,109,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Atheists don't talk about atheism. So usually atheists don't know other atheists are atheists. It's only here on forums that we talk about at - so Enablers of theism (even if they don't believe it) think we tell everyone every 10 minutes.
The first rule of Atheist Club is: You do not talk about Atheist Club. The second rule of Atheist Club is: You do not talk about Atheist Club.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:49 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,288,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think they worry too much about people who have other beliefs, and don't do enough critical thinking about their bible and church hierarchies.

When I was a kid being raised in the Methodist church, often on Sundays I'd wait till we were sitting down to dinner -- about 2 hours after church -- and I'd ask my grandmother, "What did Reverend Durham talk about in his sermon today?" She never remembered a thing. If I went to Mass with someone on my father's side of the family, I'd do the same thing and ask about the homily. They never knew. And a few years ago I had friends over for dinner, and the husband was more catholic than the pope. And I had seen him and his wife in Mass that noon. Again, I asked what the priest had talked about. Zero. It all just went in one ear and out the other. Brain dead and habitual. So when I hear christians talk negatively about atheists or people of other beliefs, I just chuckle to myself.
You completely miss the point. They were cultural Christians and that is what they do. It would be like asking a Mexican "why you eat tacos". They probably don't know why, but that is what they eat.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You completely miss the point. They were cultural Christians and that is what they do. It would be like asking a Mexican "why you eat tacos". They probably don't know why, but that is what they eat.
I never understood "cultural" until you just said it like that.

"why do I eat taco's". Mt brother is a cultural Christian. He east them because they are here. He believes in food, because the science data points to food, but he eats taco's because of where he grew up.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2021, 07:44 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,584,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Cultural christians were for slavery and the holocaust.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:48 AM

"cultural Christian" are against slavery and the final solution.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:30 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,528,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
The first rule of Atheist Club is: You do not talk about Atheist Club. The second rule of Atheist Club is: You do not talk about Atheist Club.

I'll take your word for it. We of the CAC (Central Atheist Committee - all currencies accepted) haven't been talking to those heretics since they split.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WboggjN_G-4

Old 03-30-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I never understood "cultural" until you just said it like that.

"why do I eat taco's". Mt brother is a cultural Christian. He east them because they are here. He believes in food, because the science data points to food, but he eats taco's because of where he grew up.

Thanks
As a kid I remember going to mass. My parents hanging out with other parents after mass, going to brunch, and afterwards visiting my grandparents. The whole thing had NOTHING to do with God.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Tell that to the slaves and the Jews.
To judge the past with current ideas and perspectives is not sound unless you are signaling virtue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism