Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 08:03 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I wasn't talking to Transponder. I was talking to Iwasmadenew.
If you have an issue with a POV Transponder has, you should take it up with him.
That is odd. I am responding to the post not the person. It is about fear of hell and who is haunted. You are free to ignore my post but it is lame to think you can dictate how i should word my post. Interesting try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 08:27 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You need to stop clinging to that myth.

It was 2 weeks recently between my doctor's "best judgement" that I had a cancerous tumor and the test result that said it was benign -- and that is the second time in my life that has happened (once a kidney tumor, once a skin lesion). The old foxhole cliche...you can forget it. Neither time did I drop down to my knees and start praying for god's mercy. Neither time did I start stressing out over hell.
You left protestant Christianity and tried catholicism, then Buddhism. Now you are working on atheism and other secular movements as your life guidance. Many men need some sort of guidance in life.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:38 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You left protestant Christianity and tried catholicism, then Buddhism. Now you are working on atheism and other secular movements as your life guidance. Many men need some sort of guidance in life.
Wrong again. Clearly you don't understand Buddhism. Theravada Buddhism does not have a creator god. As a result it is somewhat // to atheism.

All people need guidance in life. But it seems as if you believe that some people don't need guidance in life. I think that's so very wrong. The question should be where a person gets his/her guidance in life. A source? Multiple sources? I would hope the latter. I am a Buddhist. Period. That is home for me. That does not mean that I cannot find some guidance from christianity, Dick Nixon, or Julian658.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:09 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Wrong again. Clearly you don't understand Buddhism. Theravada Buddhism does not have a creator god. As a result it is somewhat // to atheism.

All people need guidance in life. But it seems as if you believe that some people don't need guidance in life. I think that's so very wrong. The question should be where a person gets his/her guidance in life. A source? Multiple sources? I would hope the latter. I am a Buddhist. Period. That is home for me. That does not mean that I cannot find some guidance from christianity, Dick Nixon, or Julian658.
Great post! I can believe I have given you some pointers. By the way by todays standards Nixon would be a Democrat. If you remove all the mythological stories from the new testament the teachings are not that bad. The so-called Jefferson bible.

What I was trying to say is the some atheists were always looking for something till they finally gave up and embraced atheism. These lookers tend to be more dogmatic.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Great post! I can believe I have given you some pointers. By the way by todays standards Nixon would be a Democrat. If you remove all the mythological stories from the new testament the teachings are not that bad. The so-called Jefferson bible.

What I was trying to say is the some atheists were always looking for something till they finally gave up and embraced atheism. These lookers tend to be more dogmatic.
I have been a fan of the Jefferson Bible for several decades.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:05 AM

10,520 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Quote:
6. You have NO concept of what it's like to be inside the mind of an atheist. You are projecting your own hangups into the minds of others. We have no such hangups. And that's why we are atheists and you are not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
And yet ... Transponder uses hellthreat as a serious reason Christians cling to religion. Several times. Projection works both ways, and it must mean something to both, particularly for christians turning to atheism. Remnants of indoctrination can haunt you, and that is a real human problem.
Quote:
I wasn't talking to Transponder. I was talking to Iwasmadenew.
If you have an issue with a POV Transponder has, you should take it up with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That is odd. I am responding to the post not the person. It is about fear of hell and who is haunted. You are free to ignore my post but it is lame to think you can dictate how i should word my post. Interesting try though.
I was responding to Iwasmadenew that they were projecting their own hangups about hell onto atheists.

You responded that Transponder used helltheat as a reason Christians cling to religion.

Okay well I don't speak for Transponders reasons for whatever his views are so I didn't see the relevance.
Those are his views and not mine.

I never at any point dictated how you should word your post.
I suggested you direct any issues you have to another person. That's a completely different thing.

You are likewise, free to ignore my post.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:08 AM

2,962 posts, read 862,664 times
Quote:

1. The idea of a god does not equate to = if there's a god there must be a hell. There are other concepts of god you know.

2. Many Christians these days don't even believe in a hell, let alone atheists.

3. Hell is the most ridiculous thing for a grown adult to think is real. Where do you think it is?

4. Never met an atheist in my life that thinks hell is a thing. NO atheists are afraid of any such thing.

5. Bravado doesn't come into it.

6. You have NO concept of what it's like to be inside the mind of an atheist. You are projecting your own hangups into the minds of others. We have no such hangups. And that's why we are atheists and you are not.
1. True, but the primary target of militant atheism is Christianity. Fear of hell is one reason for that.

2. True. Many are on the wide path, even many who identify as Christian.

3. If that’s the case, then why do so many atheists fear hell?

4. Your statement that “NO atheists are afraid of hell” is easily proven false. How would you respond if you are proven wrong?

5. Bravado is one reason to deny fear of hell. Wish-fulfillment is another.

6. Another baseless claim. I don’t have a fear of hell (for myself). What is there to project? I think it’s atheists who project their own fear of hell onto Christians.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
1. True, but the primary target of militant atheism is Christianity. Fear of hell is one reason for that.

2. True. Many are on the wide path, even many who identify as Christian.

4. Your statement that “NO atheists are afraid of hell” is easily proven false. How would you respond if you are proven wrong?

6. Another baseless claim. I don’t have a fear of hell (for myself). What is there to project? I think it’s atheists who project their own fear of hell onto Christians.
How is it that you think you know how atheists think. I've never known of an atheist who had any fear that hell existed. I'm not saying there aren't any...but this is mostly something you've dreamed up.

I see far less "wish fulfillment" among atheists than I do among christians. What is prayer? Essentially, "Dear god, I wish you would...."

Old 04-11-2021, 11:21 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
I was responding to Iwasmadenew that they were projecting their own hangups about hell onto atheists.

You responded that Transponder used helltheat as a reason Christians cling to religion.

Okay well I don't speak for Transponders reasons for whatever his views are so I didn't see the relevance.
Those are his views and not mine.

I never at any point dictated how you should word your post.
I suggested you direct any issues you have to another person. That's a completely different thing.

You are likewise, free to ignore my post.
Transponder was only mentioned because he, as an avowed atheist and prolific poster, often uses this very fear of hell to make his argument. Again it was not a response to him but to the subject of projection of hell. I think my post was very relevant and a good one.
I mostly respond to posts within a thread, I don't care about any interpersonal dramas in the forum.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:37 AM

16,752 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
Vocal atheists in a country that who's dominant religion is Christianity, how does that work?

Whoops, sorry, you are the one who asks questions.

Quote:
For the same reason you fear going to Mordor.

Quote:
Not believing in hell is also another. So which is more probable for an atheist?

Whoops, sorry, you are the one who asks questions.

Quote:
6. Another baseless claim. I don’t have a fear of hell (for myself). What is there to project?
Your fear of hell?

Quote:
I think it’s atheists who project their own fear of hell onto Christians.
You do realize many ex-Christians admit they were afraid of hell as believers. But why bother with evidence when you can just invent things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism