Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 06:01 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Maybe pantheism is not too far off, since God himself refers to other "gods" constantly throughout the Bible. He says Satan is the "god" of this earth, and that God is in ongoing battle with the other "principalities and powers".

The "gods" of the Ancient Near East were real, according to the Bible.

I admit, it makes it confusing trying to follow Christianity. Life was much simpler and more content being agnostic, LOL. Less guilt, for one thing.
The pantheistic universe-as-god is indeed omnipotent, possessing all the power, and omniscient, possessing all the information. However universe-as-god also possesses all the traits of the universe, meaning it has no singular nature or will apart from the universe. It encompasses all good, all evil, and everything in between. So it's not the creator god.

And in fact it has no explanatory or didactic power, so it's a useless god. A multiplication of variables with no increase in usefulness, best left out of the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 11:49 PM

16,761 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the post i referenced and responded to is statements made by the OP about the OP's own beliefs. because the OP is the one using the labels "evil" and "cruel" about animals (coyotes) eating their food (rabbits.) i don't find the conclusions in the opening post to be logical or rational. i find it lacking in common sense.

i also don't find it logical or rational for atheists (who do not believe that there is a God) to make claims about something they do not believe exists. that is one of the most irrational behaviors there is.
Everyone else gets it, but you do not?

Old 06-14-2021, 06:14 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Maybe pantheism is not too far off, since God himself refers to other "gods" constantly throughout the Bible. He says Satan is the "god" of this earth, and that God is in ongoing battle with the other "principalities and powers".

The "gods" of the Ancient Near East were real, according to the Bible.

I admit, it makes it confusing trying to follow Christianity. Life was much simpler and more content being agnostic, LOL. Less guilt, for one thing.
I lost it at "he made us then had to send its son because we are evil".

Yes, aligning a god belief to what science data we have is the reliable method. We don't know enough to have "The answer", but we can clearly see less reliable ones. Like fundy think type atheist, theist, agnostic.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:17 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Coyotes eating rabbits is no more evil or sinister than spiders eating whatever wanders into its web.
Meh...there are a lot of signs that point to insects not being capable of experiencing pain. If it was just humans surrounded by giant, non-pain-feeling insects, and big mammals and reptile herbivores that were too large for the insects to prey upon so that life forms seldom had to experience being eaten in a painful manner...that's sounds like a world that could very possibly exist somewhere that would consist of far less suffering than our own to me.

Heck, just have a Martian world with a high oxygen content. Maybe you could have a world of giant animals with tough exoskeletons, and no skin covering those tough exoskeletons, so no pain receptors. With that, Darwinian evolution would become a lot less grim-seeming to me.

If I were some God that worked subtly through the forces of nature and couldn't make any big changes, but for whatever reason I wanted to make life somewhere...I think I'd make it all insectoid. We'd have millions of years of hardship totally avoided that way. Maybe I'd plant it on Mars...tweak things a little so that it somehow retains its atmosphere, and the high gravity allows the insects to grow enormous.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:19 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Just a friendly reminder that fruit and veggies are alive and often eaten that way.
And they don't mind it...so as the God Clintone, we'd have a world of fruits and veggies and insects that get eaten by one another constantly, and they might not like it...but it perhaps would be more along the lines of the dissatisfaction of losing a game of chess type of dislike.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:27 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Just a friendly reminder that fruit and veggies are alive and often eaten that way.
Ok yes badly worded.

I'll resort to my most common description that I don't eat anything that used to have a face.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:39 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Ok yes badly worded.

I'll resort to my most common description that I don't eat anything that used to have a face.
All Hail plant-based Impossible Burgers or Beyond Burgers!

Old 06-14-2021, 03:02 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
All Hail plant-based Impossible Burgers or Beyond Burgers!
Oh actually I don't like them. Honestly I can't remember what meat tastes like. Meat eaters tell me they're nice but I don't think they're anything to write home about. It might be a psychological thing with me now that I'm kinds put off by anything that resembles meat. Maybe my taste buds reject it for that reason.
I'm pleased that meat eaters like them though. It's good to get people thinking about alternatives.
Having been vegetarian for 36 years I've sought out tasty alternatives that to me are much tastier than the beyond ranges.
Quorn products are all great. Been using them for decades. They're a British product but you can get them here now easily.
Trader Joe's beanburgers are great too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism