Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 08:37 PM

64,094 posts, read 40,390,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's just not correct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell
Correct, as my recent appreciation for the Kabbalah has unquestionably shown me.

Judaism does not have a specific doctrine about the afterlife, but it does have a mystical/Orthodox tradition of describing Gehinnom. Gehinnom is not hell, but originally a grave and in later times a sort of Purgatory where one is judged based on one's life's deeds, or rather, where one becomes fully aware of one's own shortcomings and negative actions during one's life. The Kabbalah explains it as a "waiting room" (commonly translated as an "entry way") for all souls (not just the wicked). The overwhelming majority of rabbinic thought maintains that people are not in Gehinnom forever; the longest that one can be there is said to be 12 months, however, there has been the occasional noted exception. Some consider it a spiritual forge where the soul is purified for its eventual ascent to Olam Habah (heb. עולם הבא; lit. "The world to come", often viewed as analogous to heaven). This is also mentioned in the Kabbalah, where the soul is described as breaking, like the flame of a candle lighting another: the part of the soul that ascends being pure and the "unfinished" piece being reborn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 06:44 AM

22,828 posts, read 19,425,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Correct, as my recent appreciation for the Kabbalah has unquestionably shown me. Judaism does not have a specific doctrine about the afterlife, but it does have a mystical/Orthodox tradition of describing Gehinnom. Gehinnom is not hell, but originally a grave and in later times a sort of Purgatory where one is judged based on one's life's deeds, or rather, where one becomes fully aware of one's own shortcomings and negative actions during one's life. The Kabbalah explains it as a "waiting room" (commonly translated as an "entry way") for all souls[/b] (not just the wicked). The overwhelming majority of rabbinic thought maintains that people are not in Gehinnom forever; the longest that one can be there is said to be 12 months, however, there has been the occasional noted exception. Some consider it a spiritual forge where the soul is purified for its eventual ascent to Olam Habah (heb. עולם הבא; lit. "The world to come", often viewed as analogous to heaven). This is also mentioned in the Kabbalah, where the soul is described as breaking, like the flame of a candle lighting another: the part of the soul that ascends being pure and the "unfinished" piece being reborn.
so you are learning about reincarnation.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-28-2021 at 06:59 AM..

Old 07-28-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so you are learning about reincarnation.
I never stop learning, Tzaph. I have always held the refinement process in the back of my mind as a "recycling" of the dross. I still do not see the utility of abandoning all prior memory so I still prefer my version of the refinement process. In fact, I am not sanguine or comfortable at all contemplating any further physical life.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I never stop learning. I have always held the refinement process in the back of my mind as a "recycling" of the dross. I still do not see the utility of abandoning all prior memory so I still prefer my version of the refinement process. In fact, I am not sanguine or comfortable at all contemplating any further physical life.
whether you are comfortable or not with how a process works, does not affect how the process works.
when a person recognizes that the benevolence of the divine permeates everything----that includes the process of reincarnation.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
whether you are comfortable or not with how a process works, does not affect how the process works.
when a person recognizes that the benevolence of the divine permeates everything----that includes the process of reincarnation.
I understand your point of view, Tzaph, and I have no doubt whatsoever about the benevolence of God. I just would absolutely hate to have to go through another physical life for any reason. I am relying on that benevolence and my knowledge of science to believe I am right and God will accede to my wishes because that is how it actually works.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I understand your point of view, and I have no doubt whatsoever about the benevolence of God. I just would absolutely hate to have to go through another physical life for any reason. I am relying on that benevolence and my knowledge of science to believe I am right and God will accede to my wishes because that is how it actually works.
a person's "knowledge of science" has no bearing whatsoever on the process of reincarnation or how it works.

neither does "wishing"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-28-2021 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
a person's "knowledge of science" has no bearing whatsoever on the process of reincarnation or how it works.
neither does "wishing"
And you know that HOW??? Come on, Tzaph. you are being quite irrational in your certainty about such things.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
And you know that HOW??? Come on, you are being quite irrational in your certainty about such things.
for the same reason that a person's knowledge of baking cookies or playing hockey have no bearing on how the process of reincarnation works.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-28-2021 at 11:07 PM..

Old 07-29-2021, 06:07 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,661,065 times
Quote:
for the same reason that a person's knowledge of baking cookies or playing hockey have no bearing on how the process of reincarnation works.
This is actually not placing "science" in the proper context. "science" is the data set we have to describe the world around us.

Science to reincarnation is not like hockey is to reincarnation. you would better off referencing a more reliable comparison.

Science is to reincarnation like science is to hockey. Or science is to baking cookies.

You have to avoid using logic to maintain your world view. We have the same types in atheism. Sometimes a statement of belief about religion totally consumes a person. Usually the people consumed by it have been "touched" personally in some way. Well, I haven't met one that hasn't been anyway.

The brain seems to latch onto ideas that keep the mind together. I call them strings. Strings are notions that a brain latches onto so it doesn't go blue-screen. It puts whatever thoughts are in there in some order so that it doesn't lock up. They almost look like dogma sometimes.

"we don't need science"
"we don't have to say anything"

are examples of meaningless, almost dangerous, statements about defining reality that a mind latches onto to keep itself thinking its has a handle on the situation. The are dogma looking in that they they hold true only under a severely limited set of conditions. "dogma" doesn't have to hold up under any conditions.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
This is actually not placing "science" in the proper context. "science" is the data set we have to describe the world around us. Science to reincarnation is not like hockey is to reincarnation. you would better off referencing a more reliable comparison. Science is to reincarnation like science is to hockey. Or science is to baking cookies. You have to avoid using logic to maintain your world view. We have the same types in atheism. Sometimes a statement of belief about religion totally consumes a person. Usually the people consumed by it have been "touched" personally in some way. Well, I haven't met one that hasn't been anyway. The brain seems to latch onto ideas that keep the mind together. I call them strings. Strings are notions that a brain latches onto so it doesn't go blue-screen. It puts whatever thoughts are in there in some order so that it doesn't lock up. They almost look like dogma sometimes. "we don't need science" "we don't have to say anything" are examples of meaningless, almost dangerous, statements about defining reality that a mind latches onto to keep itself thinking its has a handle on the situation. The are dogma looking in that they they hold true only under a severely limited set of conditions. "dogma" doesn't have to hold up under any conditions.
a person's "knowledge of baking" does not have bearing on how the process of reincarnation works.
a person's "knowledge of hockey" does not have bearing on how the process of reincarnation works.
a person's "knowledge of science" does not have bearing on how the process of reincarnation works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism