Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 08:12 PM

16,089 posts, read 7,097,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Im sure you are making some point. Not related, one is a right and one is a change in peoples views and beliefs.

Freedom of religion is different from freedon to force your religious views upon others.

I wonder if you quoted me because you have falsely accused me if trying to end religion in the Ubited States. I want people to use their religion as a tool for themselves not as a weapon upon others.
Freedom to practice religion is the essence of a secular society. You may be having a different interpretation of secularism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 10:10 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,342,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Freedom to practice religion is the essence of a secular society. You may be having a different interpretation of secularism.
I apologise if i am incorrect that freedom of religion was a legal righf.

What do you think my interpretation of secularism gets wrong?

Old 08-04-2021, 11:16 PM

16,089 posts, read 7,097,882 times
Quote:
I apologise if i am incorrect that freedom of religion was a legal righf.

What do you think my interpretation of secularism gets wrong?
I dont know what your interpretation is. Secularism means only one thing, that no religion will determine the laws nor would any one religion will be favored over others, and all citizens have the freedom to practice their religion protected.
I have nothing more to say on this.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:07 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,342,734 times
Secularism is defined as the separation of regluon from civil affairs and the state.

I dont know if every country that is considered secular has full freedom of religion. Probably most of the nations and probably for most religions but i so nomreason to investigate every secular nations constitution or practice to determine if tjat is what defines secularism rather than the definition provided tjat it is about separation of religion from civil affairs and the state.
Maybe certain religions or atheism are banned in some countries that fall within the definition.

I beieve you can have freedom of religion in a non secular nation. If that is the case then freedom of religion is not the definition of secularism.

I would never advocate against freedom of religion or freedom from religion. I just think it should not be forced upon the public as in prayers in schools led by staff

Old 08-05-2021, 10:23 AM

51,005 posts, read 24,507,624 times
Quote:
Secularism is defined as the separation of regluon from civil affairs and the state.

I dont know if every country that is considered secular has full freedom of religion. Probably most of the nations and probably for most religions but i so nomreason to investigate every secular nations constitution or practice to determine if tjat is what defines secularism rather than the definition provided tjat it is about separation of religion from civil affairs and the state.
Maybe certain religions or atheism are banned in some countries that fall within the definition.

I beieve you can have freedom of religion in a non secular nation. If that is the case then freedom of religion is not the definition of secularism.

I would never advocate against freedom of religion or freedom from religion. I just think it should not be forced upon the public as in prayers in schools led by staff
Thailand is a fascinating case in point. The king is charged with the responsibility of protecting all religions. And yet Buddhism is so intertwined with government that it is...fascinating and overwhelming.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:11 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,357,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What does it say? I can't read it without disabling my ad blocker (which pretty much defeats the purpose in having an ad blocker).
No reason to fear a secular nation

Phil Zuckerman Los Angeles Times Apr 9, 2021 0

The secularization of U.S. society — the waning of religious faith, practice and affiliation — is continuing at a dramatic and historically unprecedented pace. While many may consider such a development as cause for concern, such a worry is not warranted. This increasing godlessness in America is actually a good thing, to be welcomed and embraced.

Democratic societies that have experienced the greatest degrees of secularization are among the healthiest, wealthiest and safest in the world, enjoying relatively low rates of violent crime and high degrees of well-being and happiness. Clearly, a rapid loss of religion does not result in societal ruin.

For the first time since Gallup began tracking the numbers in 1937, Americans who are members of a church, synagogue or mosque are not in the majority, according to a Gallup report released this week. Compare today’s 47% to 1945, when more than 75% of Americans belonged to a religious congregation.

This decline in religious affiliation aligns closely with many similar secularizing trends. For example, in the early 1970s, only one in 20 Americans claimed “none” as their religion, but today it is closer to one in three. Over this same time period, weekly church attendance has decreased, and the percentage of Americans who never attend religious services has increased from 9% to 30%.

Fears that this rise of irreligion might result in the deterioration of our nation’s moral fiber — and threaten our liberties and freedoms — are understandable. Such concerns are not without historical merit: The former Soviet Union was a communist country deeply rooted in atheism and was one of the most corrupt, bloody regimes of the 20th century. Other atheistic authoritarian regimes, such as the former Albania and Cambodia, were equally crooked and vicious. (Bolded by TotN.)

https://journalnow.com/opinion/colum...ed57b716b.html

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 08-16-2021 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism