Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 09:06 AM

51,393 posts, read 24,773,097 times

Advertisements

https://journalnow.com/opinion/colum...ed57b716b.html

No new ground broken here, but I thought it outlined fairly well the case for a secular society.

The author is the author of a similar book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 09:28 AM

16,768 posts, read 15,834,262 times
What does it say? I can't read it without disabling my ad blocker (which pretty much defeats the purpose in having an ad blocker).

Old 07-28-2021, 09:35 AM

16,884 posts, read 5,079,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
https://journalnow.com/opinion/colum...ed57b716b.html

No new ground broken here, but I thought it outlined fairly well the case for a secular society.

The author is the author of a similar book.
Not available in the EU.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What does it say? I can't read it without disabling my ad blocker (which pretty much defeats the purpose in having an ad blocker).
+ That secularization is continuing at an unprecedented rate
+ That several counties (for example, Japan, Scandinavia, the United Kingdom, the Czech Republic, Australia, Canada and Uruguay) are becoming far more secular, but not because of any government effort to make it happen...it's just happening naturally through how people are thinking and acting), and that those societies are healthier, safer, and better at solving people-problems (such as homelessness).
+ That the new model of secularization is different than governments, such as the former USSR, which were bloody and corrupt.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:39 AM

Here's another site where the op ed is found: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...secularization

Old 07-28-2021, 10:08 AM

1,402 posts, read 482,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Here's another site where the op ed is found: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...secularization
I wonder if Transponder had a hand in writing that headline.... "America's Record Godlessness."

Good article. One excerpt...

"Organic secularization can occur for many reasons. It happens when members of a society become better educated, more prosperous, and live safer, more secure and more peaceful lives; when societies experience increases in social isolation; when people have better healthcare; when more women hold paying jobs; when more people wait longer to get married and have kids. All of these, especially in combination, can decrease religiosity.

Another major factor is the ubiquity of the internet, which provides open windows to alternative worldviews and different cultures that can corrode religious conviction — and allows budding skeptics and nascent freethinkers to find, support and encourage one another."

Old 07-28-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
I wonder if Transponder had a hand in writing that headline.... "America's Record Godlessness."

"Organic secularization can occur for many reasons. It happens when members of a society become better educated, more prosperous, and live safer, more secure and more peaceful lives; when societies experience increases in social isolation; when people have better healthcare; when more women hold paying jobs; when more people wait longer to get married and have kids. All of these, especially in combination, can decrease religiosity.

Another major factor is the ubiquity of the internet, which provides open windows to alternative worldviews and different cultures that can corrode religious conviction — and allows budding skeptics and nascent freethinkers to find, support and encourage one another."
I think there's no question about that. The major churches no longer have the only voice.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:27 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,361,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post

I think that in Canadait has been mostly organic. It is being countered to a small degree in my own province by a political.party that only really showed their closness to one of the American.majotr parties after our governmentwas elected. By cliseness i men attending rrallies, hiring consultants and praising said party. This is not organic and their drop in the polls are showing that.

Also in Canada , especially in Quebec was the rejection to the power the Catholic Church had weided in that province and that the largest Protestant dedomination, the United Church of Canada never seemed to even try to influece society.

I do wonder if part of the difference between Canada and the States is that Canadians tend to be more private about their religion or politics. For me anyways the people i know but not really well is i could easily tell you which NHL or CFL team they are a fan of but their religion or lack of and their politics not as easy.

I think a country reflects its people as well the people reflect its country. Which is why Americans are proud to be Ameticans and Canadians are pround to be Canadians we are just a bit more reserved about showing that except when the Raptirs or Blue Jays are in the championship series tjen weoke out of our shell.

Does the article discuss if it is also happening in the States and if notbwhatvare the contributing factors?

Old 07-28-2021, 01:14 PM

1,402 posts, read 482,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Does the article discuss if it is also happening in the States and if notbwhatvare the contributing factors?
Yes, that is the focus of the article... how the U.S. is heading in same direction as many other countries listed in phetaroi's post #4. It cites statistical trends (many already discussed in threads here), explores possible reasons, and concludes this is not a bad direction for societies to evolve, if they get there "organically" (i.e., without authoritarian dictatorship or government pushing them).

But you should be able to access full article in the LA Times link provided, which I will repeat here.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...secularization

Old 07-28-2021, 06:52 PM

64,121 posts, read 40,445,108 times
Default Well-written op-ed about a secular nation

The removal of the irrationality and ignorance in religious dogma is definitely a good thing, but I am NOT sanguine that it will necessarily become a better world. but at least I will not be here to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism