Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 06:51 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,840,339 times

Advertisements

This is my first foray into this forum. I am a Christian (as in. I would say I am a Baptist; moreso, that, I have a personal relationship with God. I do not presently attend Church...) and

I have had someone living rent-free in my head for a couple weeks now, pretty much as the title says..

Firmly believes there is NO god, people that believe in God are stupid and simple-minded, etc etc.

This discussion bothered me enough that I decided I did not want to live in that house, but.. The idea seems to be, that, truly scientific people would find no reason to believe in God (specifically Christianity, though these people are less dismissive of other religions) etc etc.

So. I thought I would pose it to the forum.

Is the "You're stupid if you believe in God" part really necessary? I did also come to the conclusion that the person was an alcoholic, jerk, probably scam artist, and definitely had control issues (making them well suited to run a scam. Control everything. True sociopath. The ones to run from.)

?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 06:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
This is my first foray into this forum. I am a Christian (as in. I would say I am a Baptist; moreso, that, I have a personal relationship with God. I do not presently attend Church...) and

I have had someone living rent-free in my head for a couple weeks now, pretty much as the title says..

Firmly believes there is NO god, people that believe in God are stupid and simple-minded, etc etc.

This discussion bothered me enough that I decided I did not want to live in that house, but.. The idea seems to be, that, truly scientific people would find no reason to believe in God (specifically Christianity, though these people are less dismissive of other religions) etc etc.

Is the "You're stupid if you believe in God" part really necessary? I did also come to the conclusion that the person was an alcoholic, jerk, probably scam artist, and definitely had control issues (making them well suited to run a scam. Control everything. True sociopath. The ones to run from.)

?
if you can keep the notion of "sects in atheism" in the back of your head it will make sense. There is no formal sects in atheism, but we differ enough that the words applies perfectly.

Atheist believe in all sorts of things. From living planet to cosmic mind and all points in-between. Buddhism is an example of religious looking atheist. Internet forums are a place for scarred and recovering religion-ist to form up. And if you know anything about adult children of abuse you understand just how volatile they can be when triggered.

rational atheist and rational believers can coexist just fine.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:00 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:

?
You might want to glance through this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/athe...igionists.html

Old 08-07-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
if you can keep the notion of "sects in atheism" in the back of your head it will make sense. There is no formal sects in atheism, but we differ enough that the words applies perfectly.

Atheist believe in all sorts of things. From living planet to cosmic mind and all points in-between. Buddhism is an example of religious looking atheist. Internet forums are a place for scarred and recovering religion-ist to form up. And if you know anything about adult children of abuse you understand just how volatile they can be when triggered.

rational atheist and rational believers can coexist just fine.
I want to think the same.. the thing that made me run from this individual (after a two-hour conversation, the last 20 to 30 minutes of which were basically the "There is a God" vs "There is no God") was...

1. The level of triggered I made this person, complete with the attempts at belittling inserted. Sort of like the guy showed his true colors. I was laughing and having a good time, it was rational up until the very end when the guy got VERY abrupt and just shut the whole thing down and again I think I cut through the facade...

2. There was likely some form of scam involved, I was not really understanding just exactly how the living arrangement was supposed to work. (Probably not his house, is why the rent could be so low. Been to that movie before.)

I left thinking I was rational, the other person was not. And, I am sure.. Vice versa.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:42 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
This isn't really about God. Some people are just a-holes. You did the right thing by separating yourself from him.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:51 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Yeah, it's unfortunate that we can't force others to have whatever opinion we would prefer they have.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:39 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
I want to think the same.. the thing that made me run from this individual (after a two-hour conversation, the last 20 to 30 minutes of which were basically the "There is a God" vs "There is no God") was...

1. The level of triggered I made this person, complete with the attempts at belittling inserted. Sort of like the guy showed his true colors. I was laughing and having a good time, it was rational up until the very end when the guy got VERY abrupt and just shut the whole thing down and again I think I cut through the facade...

2. There was likely some form of scam involved, I was not really understanding just exactly how the living arrangement was supposed to work. (Probably not his house, is why the rent could be so low. Been to that movie before.)

I left thinking I was rational, the other person was not. And, I am sure.. Vice versa.
exactly. I also see it come down to 1/2 truths and base axioms. A base axiom (or red flag statement) is the notion we can put "above" what the person said and see how the statement(s) makes perfect sense when taken to "answering to" the red flag statement.

So how can we tell? What process do we deploy to see what is what and who is who?

Old 08-08-2021, 11:14 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Telling people they are stupid and simple minded for believingin a God is not only extremely rude but has no place in a conversation. Astatement or argument could be stupid or simple minded butbeven that does not make the person so.

Both believers and non believers can be rude, arrogant and nasty towards others. If the person was rude to you that is on them not of any group they are of.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:30 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Telling people they are stupid and simple minded for believingin a God is not only extremely rude but has no place in a conversation. Astatement or argument could be stupid or simple minded butbeven that does not make the person so.

Both believers and non believers can be rude, arrogant and nasty towards others. If the person was rude to you that is on them not of any group they are of.
Yes...I can't think of anything more rude or nasty than telling someone they are going to hell.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Yeah, it's unfortunate that we can't force others to have whatever opinion we would prefer they have.
I actually did state this to the person.. I flatly said, "I'm not going to stop believing in God for you."

I don't think that arrangement there would have worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
This isn't really about God. Some people are just a-holes. You did the right thing by separating yourself from him.
I think you're right. The whole demeanor and select statements made.. I am in agreement with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism