Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 09:57 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
USA is a country whose majority is religious. its constitution and laws are inspired by religion, basically Christianity. It is ALSO based on secularism, that separates church and state, unlike a Christian Monarchy that Catholics dream of, or Israel which privileges Judaism, or China which is Godless and dictates what its people can and cannot believe, and tortures them and rapes their women for their religious beliefs. US guarantees the right to all religious beliefs, including atheism, and the free expression of such a belief.
No, living as a citizen of USA, i have no fear of any strawman. Neither should you if you live here.
It is also illegal in some areas for an atheist to hold public office. And elected politians have no trouble gettibg support for their clains that only Christians can be members of Congress. Yes your Cobstitutiin says many things that do not hold true in real life. Such as all.mwn are equal. When books are banned from public schools because they are about LBGT or a Jewish girl hiding from the Nazis then maybe youe country has less religious freedoms than you think. Rhere myst be reasons that the USA is rankwd only number 6 in religious freedoms in the World. And there are posters on CD that live in coubtries ranked higher in religious freedoma in CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 08:00 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
It matters nothing at all to me that you know this at all. it is laughable that you even think it matters!

I don't know what country you live in, but in the U.S.A., there are TONS of laws based on religious beliefs. In fact, you won't find many Christians that don't insist the U.S. Constitution is based on the bible. If you live in the U.S.A. I do hope you enjoy dancing with your ad hominem strawman.
I am not sure that's true. Not that I probably qualify as a Christian anymore, but it wasn't my experience that people were automatically stupid about the Constitution just because they were Christian and couldn't separate the historical and legal background of our government's formation from their religion.

I believe that sentiment is mostly found in the fundamentalist sects.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:15 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am not sure that's true. Not that I probably qualify as a Christian anymore, but it wasn't my experience that people were automatically stupid about the Constitution just because they were Christian and couldn't separate the historical and legal background of our government's formation from their religion.

I believe that sentiment is mostly found in the fundamentalist sects.
I'll say it differently than Cyno did: an awfully lot of christians say that the Constitution is based on christian principles (and/or christianity).

Old 09-04-2022, 06:21 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'll say it differently than Cyno did: an awfully lot of christians say that the Constitution is based on christian principles (and/or christianity).
Certainly the evangelicals were near-universal on this back in my salad days even (1970s).

I don't think the mainline denominations ever had this emphasis, at least AFAIK.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:58 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Certainly the evangelicals were near-universal on this back in my salad days even (1970s).

I don't think the mainline denominations ever had this emphasis, at least AFAIK.
I'm sorry 'salad days'

Can you fill me in?

Old 09-10-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm sorry 'salad days'

Can you fill me in?
It is just an expression referring to one's youthful prime years.

Old 09-10-2022, 12:19 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
I can certainly remember in the 1960s being forced to sing Christmas Carols and the threat of a loss of a letter grade if we did not. It was especially hard for a Jewish friend of mine. There were NO excuses for missing school.

Old 09-10-2022, 01:33 PM

It depends on the denomination and to an extent the region of the country. The "Bible Belt" to this day still has a strong informal hold on people's thinking and practice, and the notion that the US was a "Christian Nation" or that law is or should be based on Christian norms and standards, will be strong there. Outside the Bible belt it will depend on the church you attend and to an extent on how rural or urban it is.

In the Bible Belt you have situations like some coach expecting the kids he's coaching to participate in pre-game prayers or at least to give proper respect and reverence to them, regardless of their religious persuasion. And in fact I think SCOTUS just validated a situation of that kind very recently, once again reversing established case law.

Old 09-10-2022, 02:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Ah gotcha. Never heard that expression before. I'm definitely no longer in my salad years either.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:25 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
I've never understood that expression. Those years were my "Big Mac, Fries, Pizza and Ice Cream" years.

These years are my "salad years".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism