Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 04:05 AM

43 posts, read 25,074 times

Advertisements

By "beliefs" I'm referring to any belief about anything whatsoever (not merely about god things or supernatural things).
If you hold a belief about something are you proud of that belief, ashamed of that belief, or couldn't care less either way?
Atheists/agnostics .... please list your personal "beliefs". (NOTE: I'm not asking you to list verified facts .... just any factually unverified "personal belief" you hold)

Last edited by Sam Sung; 09-18-2021 at 04:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 06:02 AM

7,649 posts, read 4,204,291 times
A belief that I am proud of is taking responsibility for what I say and for being where I am at.
A belief that I am ashamed of? It is always those fleeting beliefs when I think something negative about another person.
I don't think there can be a belief that a person doesn't care about. The word belief is a distant relative to the word love.

Old 09-18-2021, 06:20 AM

18,566 posts, read 15,679,004 times
I believe that the universe has a natural order and originated about 13.7 billion years ago, that humans have a useful but limited understanding of the universe, that human moral values should come from simple consideration of how people can get along with each other and not cause harm to others, and that our consciousness is dependent on a physical brain and there is no afterlife.

If someone wants to believe differently, that is their right. However, putting creationism in science textbooks is absolutely unacceptable, and in an ideal society there would not be theocratically-motivated legislation.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:15 AM

6,829 posts, read 3,245,464 times
I believe that some religions are inherently evil. I spent my early years being forced to support Jehovahs Wittnesses. I have been agnostic for as long as I can remember, but despite that, I was forced to participate in JW activities such as going to meetings 3 days a week, going door to door on weekends pushing the Watchtower and Awake magazines. I was supposed to only associate with JW people, not "wordly" people. Any holiday activity at school I had to ask to leave class and sit in the library. I could not participate in any after school activities like football or basketball which I loved. Just before turning 18 I was kicked out of my family home due to being disfellowshipped from the organization. I was labled an Apostate for talking to my girlfriend at the time about why JW's were so down on rock music, which I loved. Her younger, unbaptized brother was in another room, out of sight and overheard our conversation.

To sum it up, I believe they are evil and they scarred me for life.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:46 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,673,879 times
I believe that humans are better off when they stop clinging to make-believe and embrace reality.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:53 AM

10,556 posts, read 6,205,662 times
Could you define further what you mean by belief in this case?

noun
1. an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
"his belief in the value of hard work"
2. trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.
"I've still got belief in myself"

Do you mean belief in something that actually exists or something we don't know for certain exists but believe it anyway?

Old 09-18-2021, 11:11 AM

1,402 posts, read 481,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I believe that the universe has a natural order and originated about 13.7 billion years ago, that humans have a useful but limited understanding of the universe, that human moral values should come from simple consideration of how people can get along with each other and not cause harm to others, and that our consciousness is dependent on a physical brain and there is no afterlife.

If someone wants to believe differently, that is their right. However, putting creationism in science textbooks is absolutely unacceptable, and in an ideal society there would not be theocratically-motivated legislation.
Nicely done. Turns out we share all the same beliefs!

Old 09-18-2021, 11:14 AM

64,090 posts, read 40,382,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sung View Post
By "beliefs" I'm referring to any belief about anything whatsoever (not merely about god things or supernatural things).
If you hold a belief about something are you proud of that belief, ashamed of that belief, or couldn't care less either way?
Atheists/agnostics .... please list your personal "beliefs". (NOTE: I'm not asking you to list verified facts .... just any factually unverified "personal belief" you hold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Could you define further what you mean by belief in this case?

noun
1. an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
"his belief in the value of hard work"
2. trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.
"I've still got belief in myself"

Do you mean belief in something that actually exists or something we don't know for certain exists but believe it anyway?
I think the bold is the correct interpretation, Cruithne.

Old 09-18-2021, 12:34 PM

10,556 posts, read 6,205,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I think the bold is the correct interpretation, Cruithne.
Okay yes thanks Mystic.

In that case if I sit and think about it, my list of beliefs is fairly extensive and will need a bit of explanation.
I have things to do today so I don't have time to type it all now. I'll have to get back to the thread later or in the next few days.

Old 09-18-2021, 01:57 PM

729 posts, read 539,332 times
I believe that the Invisible Pink Unicorn and the Flying Spaghetti Monster are one and the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism