Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2022, 04:22 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Maybe you have the data that will be of interest to everyone. The percentage of clergy that defraud the trust of their members, compared to the percentage of fraudsters in the general population, finance, research, science, politics whatever. Just present the data.
Anyone can have personal anecdote and someone else can have one that disputes that, or someone can just make stuff up. Data from reliable source that shows somehow the clergy are more susceptible to corruption than the general population is. That should not be so hard for you as you claim great documentation. Just facts, no BS
Are you ever going to supply data about atheists trying to stop religion or of being anti Islam or wishing to prevent Muslim women from wearing religious garb?

Of course the majority of clergy have not purchased private jets but no one ever said that they did. First you asked a poster if he had first hand experience with a pastor buying a jet and then when a poster answer that they did all of a sudden you demand data with percentage of how many. That is definitely moving the goal posts. And we have no clue if you would accept any data presented or just change to new demands.

Just what will it finally take for you to accept that some pastors buy private jets with tax exempt church money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 04:30 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Just what will it finally take for you to accept that some pastors buy private jets with tax exempt church money?
Probably about as long as it will take to accept that theism's claim to possess and promote and model superior morality, ethics, selflessness and wisdom set a higher bar anyway. I'm old enough to remember when tales of televangelists living lavish lifestyles was still scandalous. Now it is commonplace. We expect wealthy oligarchs to live in mansions, but there was a time when we expected our clergy to at least pretend to be uninterested in earthly wealth, status and luxury. Now it's just, meh, there's another one.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:44 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Probably about as long as it will take to accept that theism's claim to possess and promote and model superior morality, ethics, selflessness and wisdom set a higher bar anyway. I'm old enough to remember when tales of televangelists living lavish lifestyles was still scandalous. Now it is commonplace. We expect wealthy oligarchs to live in mansions, but there was a time when we expected our clergy to at least pretend to be uninterested in earthly wealth, status and luxury. Now it's just, meh, there's another one.
So, so no facts, just BS?

Old 06-23-2022, 05:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
Just like all your posts about atheists.

You just do not understand how your posts against atheists and atheism undermine all of your claims about being against sexism, racism and misgynomy.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:35 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Are you saying this does not happen? Please provide links to support you claim.

If you admit it sometimes happen, then you are just being dishonest.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:12 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
And also, well, it has been my experience, that some people can't blame themselves. If you look at personality traits you can find out a bit about them.

I always thought ... You believed him. Sure, he has some responsibility, but we are cupule, at least as much.

I never believed them. I saw them. I went to 12 years private chatholic school and didn;t believe it for most of it. .

But I had regular crazy parents so I only see people doing things ... not a bogyman like religion or deity thing.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:00 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Blasphemy!
He was worse than that! My parents tithed, and they would put cash in a jar in their room that went into the envelopes for Sunday and we'd each get some for "offering" during Sunday School.

They noticed at some point that the church cash seemed to be diminishing, and it turned out to be because my big bro was filching it and buying cupcakes and candy for his friends.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:08 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Sometimes it's done on a smaller scale. When I was a teenager, they found a youth minister for the church, hoping to get the last straggling remnants of teens to remain at the church. My parents were very active in the church and so I had to go to the new youth group that was formed.

The new youth minister assured us that he was cool and that we would not only do Bible studies and prayers and services, we could do fun things, too. In fact, he mentioned that there was going to be a Frank Zappa concert in the area, and if we'd all like to go, we could give him the money and he would get the tickets. The next week we brought him our money for the concert tickets. And never saw him again.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
He was worse than that! My parents tithed, and they would put cash in a jar in their room that went into the envelopes for Sunday and we'd each get some for "offering" during Sunday School.

They noticed at some point that the church cash seemed to be diminishing, and it turned out to be because my big bro was filching it and buying cupcakes and candy for his friends.
As naughty as that was, I have a certain grudging admiration for the little stinker.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sometimes it's done on a smaller scale. When I was a teenager, they found a youth minister for the church, hoping to get the last straggling remnants of teens to remain at the church. My parents were very active in the church and so I had to go to the new youth group that was formed.

The new youth minister assured us that he was cool and that we would not only do Bible studies and prayers and services, we could do fun things, too. In fact, he mentioned that there was going to be a Frank Zappa concert in the area, and if we'd all like to go, we could give him the money and he would get the tickets. The next week we brought him our money for the concert tickets. And never saw him again.
Unlike her brother, my stepdaughter was, until her senior year of high school, rather enamored of the Bible stories and religion, and attended a local Presbyterian church favored by her Dad. My wife neither encouraged nor discouraged this, in fact, she bought her children's Bible story books and read to her at bedtime from them, etc. That church's minister was exposed as having his hand in the church funds for personal use, and fired. I don't think that was the sole reason for her disillusion with the whole thing, but it didn't help. At the end of her catechism class her senior year, which was structured as "we're all going to be open minded, consider the evidence, and arrive at whatever conclusion makes sense", she said her conclusion was that the Christian god is not real and the dogma makes no sense. Obviously while they were claiming to be open minded, this was the occasion for some shocked silence.

For all my differences with my stepdaughter, I think she was seriously bad-ass in taking that stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism