Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2022, 03:50 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times

Advertisements

The B side of They are Coming To take Me Away was the A side recorded backwards.j
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 03:52 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,633,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't know how to play a record backwards. Back in the 1970s I had access to a tape recorder that used the entire width of the take for the two stereo tracks.* I recorded some Beatles songs that way and played the tape backwards.

* That's the way record companies made the two track master tapes back in those days.
A-ha, so that's how you do it! Thank you.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:01 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What kind of "God fearing" church would let their youth minister take their kids to a Zappa concert?

On the scale of evil rock music of that day he would have been pretty high on most Christian's list.

At our church in that era... They made us listen to tapes of a guy named Bob Larson. His thing was all about how rock and roll was of the Devil. He was the first guy to talk about back masking.

I remember one time we went home played some of our records backwards. We got a few "Lucifer" and "Hail Satans" out of it. Then we thought of doing it with my parents records of late '50s and early '60s music.

I remember specifically doing Jonny Mathis and Pat Boone backwards. And we got about as many "Hail Satans" and "Lucifers" from their records as we did our 1970s Rock records.
Lol, that is hilarious.

That whole back-masking thing is very much like the supposed recordings of ghosts on those ghost-hunting shows. If you amplify unclear background sounds long enough you will pick up odd sounding stuff but the telling thing to me is that if you listen to them without looking at the inevitable subtitles it doesn't sound like anything in particular. But the subtitles make the audio sort of like those optical illusions they show you where suddenly an image jumps out at you from a random pattern. The subtitles are really just demonstrating the power of suggestion.

BTW I remember Bob Larson and his talk show. He got more and more nuts as the years wore on!

Old 07-03-2022, 07:23 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
The B side of They are Coming To take Me Away was the A side recorded backwards.j
https://youtu.be/l-tvxgPygQ4

Dang that is freaky.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:02 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
https://youtu.be/l-tvxgPygQ4

Dang that is freaky.
I think I still have my 45 from those days.. When I get my turntable back from repairs I'll play it again, both sides

Old 07-04-2022, 08:56 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
We had that one!

Old 07-04-2022, 08:59 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What kind of "God fearing" church would let their youth minister take their kids to a Zappa concert?

On the scale of evil rock music of that day he would have been pretty high on most Christian's list.

At our church in that era... They made us listen to tapes of a guy named Bob Larson. His thing was all about how rock and roll was of the Devil. He was the first guy to talk about back masking.

I remember one time we went home played some of our records backwards. We got a few "Lucifer" and "Hail Satans" out of it. Then we thought of doing it with my parents records of late '50s and early '60s music.

I remember specifically doing Jonny Mathis and Pat Boone backwards. And we got about as many "Hail Satans" and "Lucifers" from their records as we did our 1970s Rock records.
I don't know that anyone outside of the youth group knew about Frank Zappa.

But you have a point. My mother was upset when I bought the Fleetwood Mac Rumours album because the cover was "sexually suggestive".

Old 07-04-2022, 06:08 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,633,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know that anyone outside of the youth group knew about Frank Zappa.

But you have a point. My mother was upset when I bought the Fleetwood Mac Rumours album because the cover was "sexually suggestive".
Well, youth minister as chaperone or not, I'd have *never been allowed to go to a Frank Zappa concert.

Old 07-06-2022, 05:41 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
OK, how does one go about playing a record backwards? Do you spin it manually? Doesn't it damage your turn table and/or records?
We would spin the turntable backward with our hands so the sounds came out uneven. Didn't seem to hurt the turntable or the records.

I think Bob Larson actually had a record player that actually went counterclockwise.

I think there are a few bands that put in some actual backward stuff that was engineered into the recording. I couple of them did it as an experiment and a couple others did it as a joke due to the backward masking craze.

The Moody Blues put "The music is reversible" backwards into one of their songs. I can't remember the others off of the top of my head.

Old 07-08-2022, 11:47 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Now because Roe vs. Wade has been overturned, I am wanting all religion to go away, especially Christianity. That's not what I said before in this thread. But Roe v Wade is the beginning of the end of a long road to taking away all woman's rights. And guess who is behind all of it? That's right, white conservative "Christian" men. I use the term "christian" loosely. As soon as I'm well, I will be joining the local women's rights group. Should have done it a long time ago. I have offended every christian person I know on social media and I don't care. This is serious ***t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism