Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2022, 12:08 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

Well I could be wrong but it looks lie Prycejosh1987 <<cut>>, read the first post in each thread, and put in his 2 cents about that first post in each thread. In other words, a bunch of drive-by posts that have zero actual engagement. And by his own words, he's like several other believers here both regular and transient who think they alone have distilled the Vital Synthesis that will set everyone right if only they will quit being stubborn.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-19-2022 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Rule violation (off his meds?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 12:19 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well I could be wrong but it looks lie Prycejosh1987 <<cut>>, read the first post in each thread, and put in his 2 cents about that first post in each thread. In other words, a bunch of drive-by posts that have zero actual engagement. And by his own words, he's like several other believers here both regular and transient who think they alone have distilled the Vital Synthesis that will set everyone right if only they will quit being stubborn.
It was a very shoot from the hip SERIES of posts. An 'I'll show them' type of posts.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-19-2022 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Quoted post edited.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It was a very shoot from the hip SERIES of posts. An 'I'll how them' type of posts.
All it did is mess up the timeline and move some necro-posts up to "most recently replied to".

Old 12-21-2022, 12:02 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Religion *has* encouraged some redeeming values, as in the times of old. People looking at nature to try and understand the world, people looking at the sky to try and understand the universe, people looking at the weather to understand patterns and what might be called rudimentary science. Something that gets people to ponder and review isn't a bad trait.

Even with science and technology now, there is still a lot of searching that goes on in people of all kinds, inwardly and outwardly.

Of course, like many areas, there is a negative / unhealthy side to religion. But if we threw out everything just because of negative tendencies, we'd probably have nothing left. Get rid of cars because they occasionally kill people, have no law enforcement due to bad cops, etc.

Old 12-21-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Of course, like many areas, there is a negative / unhealthy side to religion. But if we threw out everything just because of negative tendencies, we'd probably have nothing left. Get rid of cars because they occasionally kill people, have no law enforcement due to bad cops, etc.
I don't accept that religion is like a car -- just this neutral thing that (1) works and (2) can be used for good or ill. It is based on a particular theory of knowledge, involving belief in things that cannot be evidenced. Rather like a car with no wheels that you have to "just believe" will get you somewhere, eventually, after you die. I suggest that religion does not inherently work and so even when used for good it is basically bucking you up in the face of its complete failure to deliver on its own value propositions. You have plenty of company, and common experiences, which is not nothing -- but to what end?

Last edited by mordant; 12-21-2022 at 04:09 PM..

Old 01-01-2023, 01:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is a charge that is made weekly, if not almost daily, by some christian and even a warped atheist. So for the rest of us atheists, is that your goal -- to "stop" or "end" religion?
Yes, if it will end human suffering (which it will in great part.)

I don't have to "stop" religion. I just have to end government involvement and support of religion.

What history proves to us is that any religion that is not backed or supported by a government falls to the wayside and gets converted to "myth."

Old 01-01-2023, 01:55 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
Nope. I just want no part of it.

Old 01-01-2023, 02:10 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

I don't have to "stop" religion. I just have to end government involvement and support of religion.

What history proves to us is that any religion that is not backed or supported by a government falls to the wayside and gets converted to "myth."
I am all for ending suffering. I am not sure history proves anything about how to end suffering. Take China. A whole lot of suffering going on there for the Uighur.

Old 01-01-2023, 04:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

i disagree. Judaism is not backed or supported by government. in fact throughout history the OPPOSITE has been in place, governments and leaders in country after country after country have actively and repeatedly sought to destroy Judaism and the Jewish people and governments have done everything in their power to remove them and drive them out. However here we are . We are still here. Those governments and leaders have fallen, but Judaism and the Jewish people are still here as we have been for the past 3,800 years.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-01-2023 at 04:22 PM..

Old 01-03-2023, 01:55 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOzarkLady View Post
Yes, when God is used as a tool for human social control. Even so, forcing religious based teachings on non practicing individuals. Some religions might reward human killings, and war. This I would like to suppress.
This is my take as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism