Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2023, 08:32 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You’ve presented this issue/comment many times; as such, it sounds personal for you, and I’m sorry for whatever it is you endured. That said, criminal activity is not the same as, or part of, the religion in and of itself; hence, stopping persons involved in such within (or under the guise of) a religious atmosphere is not the same as stopping religion, per your thread.
No, I didn't endure anything in the catholic religion, but knew people who did.

For me it was the absurdity of catholic practices and beliefs that killed off any vestige of belief in christianity in me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 10:53 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,114,371 times
Quote:
You’ve presented this issue/comment many times; as such, it sounds personal for you, and I’m sorry for whatever it is you endured. That said, criminal activity is not the same as, or part of, the religion in and of itself; hence, stopping persons involved in such within (or under the guise of) a religious atmosphere is not the same as stopping religion, per your thread.
No church is more oppressive than a Catholic one.

Old 08-23-2023, 12:58 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,858,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes it does because it represents freedom from oppression and freedom of thought
Those who believe in a god or (any) religion are entitled to freedom of thought as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
For me it was the absurdity of catholic practices and beliefs that killed off any vestige of belief in christianity in me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
No church is more oppressive than a Catholic one.
(Non) Beliefs are not earned; they are a right. I’m surprised by the (continual) lack of understanding (or willful ignorance), as evidenced by many posts, re: our freedom from religion equates to freedom of religion.

Logically and legally, there’s nowhere (else) to go with it.

Old 08-23-2023, 02:29 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Those who believe in a god or (any) religion are entitled to freedom of thought as well.

(Non) Beliefs are not earned; they are a right. I’m surprised by the (continual) lack of understanding (or willful ignorance), as evidenced by many posts, re: our freedom from religion equates to freedom of religion.

Logically and legally, there’s nowhere (else) to go with it.
The important distinction you are trying to highlight is between voluntary submission to "oppression" (as a member of a church) versus real legal oppression via secular law enforcement. Too many blur that distinction. Freedom of religion refers to the latter.

Old 08-23-2023, 02:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I don’t have any desire to eliminate religion in any way. Just because I don’t get it and don’t believe doesn’t mean anybody else shouldn’t.
I don't use heroin so I guess I shouldn't believe anybody else shouldn't either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
and for many people, a path of religion and spirituality represents freedom from oppression and freedom of thought.
Well, in Africa people are rejecting Catholicism left and right in favor of Islam because it is [rightfully] seen as less oppressive than Catholicism.

Old 08-23-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The important distinction you are trying to highlight is between voluntary submission to "oppression" (as a member of a church) versus real legal oppression via secular law enforcement.
I wasn’t highlighting anything relative to oppression (you/phet are); and if I were to do so, it certainly wouldn’t be this, lol. Legally, oppression is relative to a specific act or conduct that which causes harm or impedes/denies the rights of others (and is typically understood as the subjugation of one group by another), as in recent charges against Trump re: one count of conspiracy against rights i.e. attempts to ‘oppress, threaten and intimidate’ folks relative to their right to vote.

That said, how does one ‘voluntarily submit’ to oppression as a member of a church?

Old 08-23-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I wasn’t highlighting anything relative to oppression (you/phet are); and if I were to do so, it certainly wouldn’t be this, lol. Legally, oppression is relative to a specific act or conduct that which causes harm or impedes/denies the rights of others (and is typically understood as the subjugation of one group by another), as in recent charges against Trump re: one count of conspiracy against rights i.e. attempts to ‘oppress, threaten and intimidate’ folks relative to their right to vote.

That said, how does one ‘voluntarily submit’ to oppression as a member of a church?
I detect a semantic issue around the term oppression. As Phet uses it, it means subjecting your life decisions to" oppressive rules" supposedly issued by God and supporting imposing them on others in society through laws. Believers voluntarily accede to that kind of oppression.

Old 08-23-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Believers voluntarily accede to that kind of oppression.
It’s not oppression i.e. their rights have not been impeded/denied; in fact, they’ve exercised their right in doing so.

Old 08-23-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
It’s not oppression i.e. their rights have not been impeded/denied; in fact, they’ve exercised their right in doing so.
I got that and it IS what I suspected was the issue. My daughter is an attorney and I am well aware of the precision employed in the use of language that is otherwise not remotely similar to the rest of us in common parlance.

Old 08-23-2023, 05:42 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times
Belief in God (of whatever form or variant) does provide comfort to many, and in itself is not necessarily contributing to divisiveness or violence.

Organized religion is doing those things, especially Islam and to some degree Christianity. It gets deeply involved in politics and government, social conflicts, tribal divisiveness, and unnecessary war, violence, murder, other atrocities.

Personal belief in God can stay all it likes, but IMO religion should be eradicated, like the toxic rat poison that it is on our species and our fragile existence on this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism