Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2023, 11:57 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times

Advertisements

I was pretty militant with my lack of belief in God growing up.

Over the years, I'm obviously not as forward with that in day-to-day life, and still think there could be some sort of "god-like" force out there, but I certainly don't believe in an interventionist, personal god that Christians think of.

I experienced a lot of isolation and derision for growing up without a strong religious faith here in Appalachia. Several of my family are LGBTQ, and that isn't acceptable here. My best friend was gay, and ultimately committed suicide - I think the conservative religious beliefs in here certainly played a part in his mental illnesses.

Today, I look at where we are as a country and, in many ways, we are worse off than when I was in high school back in the early 2000s. I live in Tennessee, and now people are moving here from other areas largely because of the area's religious and political leanings. The people we tend to be attracting are often even more extreme than local natives.

What absolutely kills me is that this country is essentially being driven by an extremist wing of evangelical/Catholic Christian thought that maybe just 10%-20% of the people in this country actually believe in. Even if half the country is Republican, many of those people are not as extreme on the cultural issues as the political drivers are.

While I'll be the first to admit that there are great religious individuals, on a whole it seems to be doing far more harm than good these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2023, 12:11 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What absolutely kills me is that this country is essentially being driven by an extremist wing of evangelical/Catholic Christian thought that maybe just 10%-20% of the people in this country actually believe in.
The problem isn't so much that up to 20% actually believe it, but that up to 40% or more are willing to support it because it ticks some boxes for them, even if they don't believe it; or, that it sticks it to the lib-ruhls or whoever. Or put another way, they don't understand that they are flirting with fascism and the collapse of the constitutional rule of law (de facto or actual) and that this could result in a world of hurt that could take a VERY long time to reverse.

Some believe that the elites have turned us against each other, that the polarization is engineered. I think it is not so much a plutocratic plot as a convenient gift to them that they are opportunistically leveraging, but regardless, the simple fact is that we (meaning all of us, liberals and conservatives, pious and impious, etc) used to compromise and get along and now we are at each other's throats. With that much ego invested no one can back down and it's the law of the jungle basically.

Old 09-07-2023, 01:29 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The problem isn't so much that up to 20% actually believe it, but that up to 40% or more are willing to support it because it ticks some boxes for them, even if they don't believe it; or, that it sticks it to the lib-ruhls or whoever. Or put another way, they don't understand that they are flirting with fascism and the collapse of the constitutional rule of law (de facto or actual) and that this could result in a world of hurt that could take a VERY long time to reverse.

Some believe that the elites have turned us against each other, that the polarization is engineered. I think it is not so much a plutocratic plot as a convenient gift to them that they are opportunistically leveraging, but regardless, the simple fact is that we (meaning all of us, liberals and conservatives, pious and impious, etc) used to compromise and get along and now we are at each other's throats. With that much ego invested no one can back down and it's the law of the jungle basically.
The good thing is that I think the pendulum is beginning to swing back the other way, <<cut>>. Even many moderate religious people are finding the current political/religious path not viable.

Another thing that blows my mind sometimes is how many otherwise normal, reasonable people can get totally pulled into weird rabbit holes with religion. I grew up with a guy who was one of the biggest fire breathing freewill Baptists that you will ever meet. He's held these same views for thirty years. I don't think his views have expanded one iota since we were kids.

Other than having four or five kids, the guy comes across as perfectly normal and friendly in day-to-day life. He's fine if you don't get him talking about religion, but religion is such a huge influence on him that it will spill over into his other interests. Once he gets going, he sounds completely bonkers.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-08-2023 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: We DO NOT mention "abortion" in this forum.

Old 09-07-2023, 03:19 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Even many moderate religious people are finding the current political/religious path not viable.
It is hard to find hard numbers there but I hope you are correct that it's a meaningful sea change.
Quote:
Another thing that blows my mind sometimes is how many otherwise normal, reasonable people can get totally pulled into weird rabbit holes with religion. I grew up with a guy who was one of the biggest fire breathing freewill Baptists that you will ever meet. He's held these same views for thirty years. I don't think his views have expanded one iota since we were kids.

Other than having four or five kids, the guy comes across as perfectly normal and friendly in day-to-day life. He's fine if you don't get him talking about religion, but religion is such a huge influence on him that it will spill over into his other interests. Once he gets going, he sounds completely bonkers.
Yep, I have seen my share of that over the years also.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:04 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
so there ARE atheists who DO want to end religion.
responses in this thread confirm that.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:08 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
There probably are some. And, since you're reading the thread, hopefully you are realizing that those who do feel that way have their reasons. In my opening post in this thread, I simply asked the question. You do realize, I hope, that people do have the right to want to end religion???

Old 09-12-2023, 07:12 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There probably are some. And, since you're reading the thread, hopefully you are realizing that those who do feel that way have their reasons. In my opening post in this thread, I simply asked the question. You do realize, I hope, that people do have the right to want to end religion???
i pointed out that there are atheists who DO want to end or stop religion
because there are atheists on CD who flat out continue to deny there are any.

and no it is not "probably." It flat out IS.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:19 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

So what? Do people not have freedom of thought? Are they doing anything illegal to bring about what they think is best for the world?

Old 09-12-2023, 07:22 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,976,506 times
Quote:

Naturally, you can quote them in context saying no atheist wants to stop religion?

Old 09-12-2023, 10:59 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,258,301 times
Quote:
I think the world/humanity/the future, would be so much better off without irrationality/supernatural faith/mass delusion and belief in myths, in so many ways. It's not that I want to kill it off because I'm evil- I would like to see it in gradual decline because I'm good, and I want more good things for us all, and less bad. Fewer rockets killing people in Israel/Palestine, etc.

A personal belief is a different matter, and that is always going to be personal, and there's no way to "manage" that, nor would we want to. Everyone has freedom of thought. The problem though is mass organized fundamentalism.

I oppose Islam and Christianity- not because they believe that an intelligent being created the universe. Obviously that's not the belief that's causing problems, and that belief can continue indefinitely as far as I'm concerned, with whoever wants to believe that. It's the rest of the organized specific dogma and social aspects, etc. I want today's religions to become like the dead ones of the distant past that we now all consider mythology- rather than people actually believing all this nonsense and taking it seriously, including literally.

Fundamentalism, and organized religion, are plagues on our world. I'd believe that even if I was not an atheist, and I'd believe that even if everyone on earth believed in the same God. Regardless of God or not, we need to all behave towards each other in a rational, secular humanist type way. And settle our disputes, and determine our public policy that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism