Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 09:40 AM

16,827 posts, read 5,030,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And why would anyone make such a choice?

And, at least in my case, just because you had a nutty aunt and a overprotective grandmother...people are putting too much emphasis on that. I have related a couple of stories here about a couple members of my family. I quickly became a successful teacher and principal, traveled extensively, and have had a great life after a less than ideal teenage period. A few of our posters have had far more difficulty getting over my teenage stress than I myself did. But we know why that is...they're using a difficult time in my life (12-17) as a weapon against a poster that doesn't share their religious views.
Yes, why would my Grandfather choose to be born in to a family that would be murdered by the Nazis when he was 8?

But apparently we should not blame the Nazis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 10:56 AM

1,799 posts, read 564,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, why would my Grandfather choose to be born in to a family that would be murdered by the Nazis when he was 8?

But apparently we should not blame the Nazis.
Apparently 6 million Jews had some life lessons they needed to learn

And you have to wonder what was going on with the soul that chose to advance in the spirit world by choosing to be born as Hitler.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:56 AM

51,011 posts, read 24,518,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Right. Children suffer emotionally because the adults around them were damaged individuals themselves who did not have the emotional tools or skill to protect their children. The same therapy holds for children as well - forgive yourself and forgive those who harmed you. Until you do that they will always have their hooks on you. True realization, awareness and faith that the power to heal is within you, comes eventually.
Blaming on the other hand has no limit, it is an addiction that feels good, and only helps the feeling of victimhood to dig in deeper. It comes out in ugly ways. Always.
Perhaps "holding responsible" and "blaming" are two somewhat different concepts.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:04 AM

16,092 posts, read 7,102,486 times
Quote:
Perhaps "holding responsible" and "blaming" are two somewhat different concepts.
They are not. Regardless of sematics neither is going to help the aggrieved person. Only holding themselves responsible for getting their emotional life straightened out so their physical life causes no harm to themselves or others will.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
They are not. Regardless of sematics neither is going to help the aggrieved person. Only holding themselves responsible for getting their emotional life straightened out so their physical life causes no harm to themselves or others will.
There's a responsibility for who did wrong to begin with, and the responsibility to right the ship. Two different things.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:27 PM

63,966 posts, read 40,253,710 times
Quote:
Right. Children suffer emotionally because the adults around them were damaged individuals themselves who did not have the emotional tools or skill to protect their children. The same therapy holds for children as well - forgive yourself and forgive those who harmed you. Until you do that they will always have their hooks on you. True realization, awareness and faith that the power to heal is within you, comes eventually.
Blaming on the other hand has no limit, it is an addiction that feels good, and only helps the feeling of victimhood to dig in deeper. It comes out in ugly ways. Always.
Your focus on healing the victim is admirable but completely ignores the causative agents and circumstances which are equally in need of healing. That is what Phet alludes to about holding people responsible. Odd that you do not seem to apply the same logic to the issues of feminine sexual harassment.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your focus on healing the victim is admirable but completely ignores the causative agents and circumstances which are equally in need of healing. That is what Phet alludes to about holding people responsible. Odd that you do not seem to apply the same logic to the issues of feminine sexual harassment.
Thank you, Mystic.

It's been my experience that OFTEN, if you don't hold people responsible, they just keep doing whatever they were doing.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:37 PM

16,092 posts, read 7,102,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How do you propose the causative agents and circumstances should be healed? Especially when some of those agents have long passed on? Give me an example.
As for the issues of sexual harassment in connection with childhood trauma, you have completely lost me. What logic are you talking about?
Sexual harassment is a workplace issue. It is only one of the ways workplace harassment happens and can be prosecuted. Please make the connection with Phet’s victimhood.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
How do you propose the causative agents and circumstances should be healed? Especially when some of those agents have long passed on? Give me an example.
As for the issues of sexual harassment in connection with childhood trauma, you have completely lost me. What logic are you talking about?
Sexual harassment is a workplace issue. It is only one of the ways workplace harassment happens and can be prosecuted. Please make the connection with Phet’s victimhood.
There is no victimhood. That's just another of YOUR insults.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:05 PM

63,966 posts, read 40,253,710 times
Quote:
Thank you, Mystic.
It's been my experience that OFTEN, if you don't hold people responsible, they just keep doing whatever they were doing.
Even when society at large holds them responsible, there can still be pockets of humans who will still try to repeat the evils, e.g., Neo-Nazis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism