Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 06:49 AM

16,879 posts, read 5,063,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You have decided to take this somewhere else. That is not what we are talking about up thread. You may want to go check #135 as here.

To repeat why keep harking on the creator god who punishes with earthquake to germs when many American Christians have moved on? I am talking about posts here, not any organization.

The answer applies for this forum too.

Quote:
Are you purposely twisting things? If so let us stop right here i dont wish to play that game.
Obviously you do.

Quote:
As opposed to other nationalities, yes. You said because most Americans are Christians American Atheist talk about Christianity. This is going nowhere because you have no response to to why they are in this forum hanging on to the Creator and Punishing Christian God that most American Christians hav moved away from. Just stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 06:53 AM

16,759 posts, read 15,806,944 times
Quote:
As opposed to other nationalities, yes. You said because most Americans are Christians American Atheist talk about Christianity. This is going nowhere because you have no response to to why they are in this forum hanging on to the Creator and Punishing Christian God that most American Christians hav moved away from. Just stop.
Why wouldn't they be here? The owner of the company that operates this web site decided to create a forum to discuss Religion and Spirituality, and later created a sub-forum to discuss Atheism and Agnosticism. Obviously, he expected them to be here and thought this was an appropriate place for them to be.

(I didn't know that American Christians had moved away from the Creator God.)

Old 01-16-2022, 08:04 AM

16,205 posts, read 7,169,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Why wouldn't they be here? The owner of the company that operates this web site decided to create a forum to discuss Religion and Spirituality, and later created a sub-forum to discuss Atheism and Agnosticism. Obviously, he expected them to be here and thought this was an appropriate place for them to be.

(I didn't know that American Christians had moved away from the Creator God.)
we are done with this topic as you seem more interested in diverting it. there was no question about why they are here.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:15 AM

16,879 posts, read 5,063,341 times
Quote:
we are done with this topic as you seem more interested in diverting it. there was no question about why they are here.
It is not your ball to take home.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:21 AM

10,981 posts, read 7,524,107 times
Quote:
Please share what you as an atheist think God is?
Nothing. Because, you know, I'm an atheist.

I realize people have invented stories of powerful deities--Thor, and Neptune, and Jehova--but I recognize that they are all just stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What makes you think American Atheists does that? Frankly, I am not asking a leading question, because I haven't heard anything about American Atheists for the past 25 years or so. After Madeline O=Hair succeeded in getting mandatory prayer removed from public schools, she started the organization.
Her death in ~1995 was the last time I remember seeing any news about the group, other than looking up the number of members a time or two (it's actually pretty small).
I suspect most atheists aren't into joining a granfalloon. We're all different, most of us don't have a unified agenda. It's not like we go to a big room and somebody gets up in front to exhort us to "Go out and convert some Episcopalians this week!"

Last edited by steiconi; 01-16-2022 at 09:34 AM..

Old 01-16-2022, 09:41 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,433,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Nothing. Because, you know, I'm an atheist.

I realize people have invented stories of powerful deities--Thor, and Neptune, and Jehova--but I recognize that they are all just stories.

I suspect most atheists aren't into joining a granfalloon. We're all different, most of us don't have a unified agenda. It's not like we go to a big room and somebody gets up in front to exhort us to "Go out and convert some Episcopalians this week!"
I'm an Episcopalian. If you showed up, we'd invite you to coffee hour or a potluck (at which there is always wine and/or beer) and nobody would try to convert you because we don't care what religion, or absence of same, anyone else holds to. Heck, there are probably a few atheists in the pews already.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:07 AM

10,981 posts, read 7,524,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm an Episcopalian. If you showed up, we'd invite you to coffee hour or a potluck (at which there is always wine and/or beer) and nobody would try to convert you because we don't care what religion, or absence of same, anyone else holds to. Heck, there are probably a few atheists in the pews already.
Wow, what a great attitude!

Old 01-16-2022, 10:39 AM

51,218 posts, read 24,681,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So it sounds as if you are saying you just don't have those conversations. I do. Or did. Not in that environment any longer.
I am saying that it is not common for me to have those conversations 'in real life'.

For me, it may have been partly due to my profession. As a teacher and then a principal, I thought was important for me NOT to ever appear -- to staff or students -- to be putting forth any particular religion. From around 1990 on I usually wore a Buddha amulet...under my shirt. There was a tiny Buddha amulet on my desk, that could only be seen if you were sitting behind my desk...which no one else should have been. However, there were a very few teachers who were also close personal friends who knew I was Buddhist (a few of whom even asked for me to take them to the local Thai temple). And, every once in a great while a student would ask me if it was true that I was Buddhist (apparently in social studies class one of the teachers mentioned it when they were surveying world religions)...and my answer -- except once -- was that I don't discuss my religion or private life -- "or yours" -- at work.

But even after retirement, in the 'real world', few people other than VERY close friends mentioned such things. I will say that in very-religious Colorado Springs, where I lived for 9 years, some people would routinely ask that question, and usually my answer was, "Mind your own damn business".

Old 01-16-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
You have decided to take this somewhere else. That is not what we are talking about up thread. You may want to go check #135 as here.

To repeat why keep harking on the creator god who punishes with earthquake to germs when many American Christians have moved on? I am talking about posts here, not any organization.
Are you purposely twisting things? If so let us stop right here i dont wish to play that game.
I wasn't aware that American christians have "moved on" regarding basing their religious belief on the bible.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Christians -- as evidenced right on this forum -- continue to believe in the creator god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism