Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 04:12 PM

16,045 posts, read 6,417,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is a very prevalent paradigm, Irkle. Many deconversions occur from the disappointment of absurd claims made in religion leading to rejection. I suspect it is because the main impetus to believe in God was predicated on the claims of religion and not an inner predilection.
For me, the sect I grew up in was the thread I started pulling on that lead to the whole thing unraveling. I can't say for sure if I had belonged to a religious sect that was positive I would have tugged that thread. I think I would have made the same conclusion about the stories of God but I can't know for sure. When I finally reached that conclusion is was from the same place as where you made your conclusion God exists and all that you say follows that. I had a very strong predilection that my experience was indeed proof of a creator reaching out to me. I had to admit it was more likely it was actually just the well-known psychological phenom I read about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 04:15 PM

16,045 posts, read 6,417,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
How incredibly frustrating for you. My condolences.
It's gotta be lonely at the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMLYJd9ZQoQ

Old 10-15-2021, 09:07 AM

895 posts, read 478,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
A conclusion on rather a weighty matter. ..... The faulty assumption here on the part of many people is that the conclusion "no God exists" is as self-evident as the conclusion "no Tooth Fairy exists."
If no god exists, it's not weighty at all. Conversely, if you live your life believing YOUR specific god does exist, then YOU would carry that notion, that is the faulty assumption here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
IMHO...
Humble? Bwahahahahaha

Old 10-18-2021, 10:41 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,191,930 times
in Gnostic World 'belief' defined by one's spiritual sensitivity.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
in Gnostic World 'belief' defined by one's spiritual sensitivity.
Technically gnostic denotes knowledge of a god, but common misuse of the word, that seems to have become a new description in it's own right, suggests it's sort of a 1/2 religious (or spiritual) person.

Theist = I BELIEVE in one or more god
Athiest = I don't believe that claim

Gnostic = I have KNOWLEDGE of one or more god
Agnostic = I don't have knowledge of any god

So EVERYONE, by the original intent of the word, is Agnostic, because there is no KNOWLEDGE of the existence of a god that lives outside of the mind of individual. What is called KNOWLEDGE is more rightly FORTIFIED BELIEF.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
Technically gnostic denotes knowledge of a god, but common misuse of the word, that seems to have become a new description in it's own right, suggests it's sort of a 1/2 religious (or spiritual) person.

Theist = I BELIEVE in one or more god
Athiest = I don't believe that claim

Gnostic = I have KNOWLEDGE of one or more god
Agnostic = I don't have knowledge of any god

So EVERYONE, by the original intent of the word, is Agnostic, because there is no KNOWLEDGE of the existence of a god that lives outside of the mind of individual. What is called KNOWLEDGE is more rightly FORTIFIED BELIEF.
it is essentially the same, just ways of estimating of experience, Faith, Hope Agape - all defined by 'amount' of knowledge - experience of God.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:12 AM

64,090 posts, read 40,382,096 times
Quote:
it is essentially the same, just ways of estimating of experience, Faith, Hope Agape - all defined by 'amount' of knowledge - experience of God.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I think where people start talking past each other, is when one defines knowledge as personal, and accepts personal experience/feelings as part of what is deemed proof, and draw a definitive conclusion, while another person defines it as shared, in that it is accessible and commonly held or at least provable and witnessed outside of only individual/personal experience. Thereby removing the requirement of trusting only another person's word to validate the evidence/knowledge.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
I think where people start talking past each other, is when one defines knowledge as personal, and accepts personal experience/feelings as part of what is deemed proof, and draw a definitive conclusion, while another person defines it as shared, in that it is accessible and commonly held or at least provable and witnessed outside of only individual/personal experience. Thereby removing the requirement of trusting only another person's word to validate the evidence/knowledge.
it is not that simple, i had my personal (Gnostic type) experience. I was persuaded that it was real, i know that nobody will get the same experience. two different things to read about it or hear about it from a pastor or have personal proof of it. Greek even used two different words for knowledge to differentiate them.

Old 10-18-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
it is not that simple, i had my personal (Gnostic type) experience. I was persuaded that it was real, i know that nobody will get the same experience. two different things to read about it or hear about it from a pastor or have personal proof of it. Greek even used two different words for knowledge to differentiate them.
Sure I'm not arguing with you on that, in fact until I moved a few years ago I had a copy of the gnostic bible, interesting reading for sure. Amazon carries it if you're interested. But the Gnostics were a a self described group that felt they had a different version of the truth and had the true knowledge of that truth, hence....they chose the word gnostic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism