Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 08:13 AM

895 posts, read 479,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I thought I became an atheist at one point in my life when I was young, when my fervent prayers were not answered to my satisfaction. I stopped praying, visiting temples, or attending services. I just stopped caring, but it never occurred to me that now that I dont care everyone should also stop caring. Now, in maturity, i worship, pray, and believe in my own way. I also see the value and comfort it brings those who do visit temples and attend services. We all have our paths and all paths lead to the same divinity.
What i would like to understand, if that is possible, is why American atheists believe someone like me is not a true believer or that a religion such as mine that allows me the freedom that I take is not true religion. The religion never changed, I changed.
As to reforms the religion still has those texts within. People who no longer want to be governed by those laws, and still pray, worship by the text changed. Others did not, they still observe them. Why do American atheists even care what the religious practitioners do when it does not affect them in any way? Or if does, how?
I can only speak for myself, but I FULLY support you finding any means that improves your personal happiness and peace of mind, be it any religion, or otherwise. My only caveat is that it not be harmful, nor intrusive in accomplish it's goal of providing you those things by lessening those for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 08:14 AM

51,382 posts, read 24,773,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
...Why do American atheists even care what the religious practitioners do when it does not affect them in any way? Or if does, how?
Because American religion attempts to impose itself on the entire society and everyone in it.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:15 AM

16,884 posts, read 5,079,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
atheists make authoritative claims on the forum about that which they claim does not exist.
By pointing out what theists say, what their texts say, or pointing out the logical conclusions of certain religious beliefs.

We do not argue gods do not exist and they want things.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
to say that religion should not exist, or humanity would be better off without religion
is no different than saying organizations for black people should not exist, or humanity would be better off without organizations for people to gather together and sing.

it demonstrates a fundamental excruciating intolerance.
to say that atheism and atheists should not exist, or humanity would be better off without atheism
is no different than saying organizations for religious people should not exist.

it demonstrates a fundamental excruciating intolerance.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:17 AM

895 posts, read 479,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would change that to: I don't see how anyone could have beliefs ABOUT WHAT GOD WANTS without first having an understanding about what a god is. [And even then, I'm doubtful].
Yes but if god doesn't exist, then those wants are an extension of the believer not god. So an understanding of what that person believes god to be, is not synonymous with understanding about what god wants, unless you conflate god and the believer, as the same thing.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
Yes but if god doesn't exist, then those wants are an extension of the believer not god. So an understanding of what that person believes god to be, is not synonymous with understanding about what god wants, unless you conflate god and the believer, as the same thing.
LOL. But yes, sort of.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:56 AM

16,273 posts, read 7,209,320 times
Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but I FULLY support you finding any means that improves your personal happiness and peace of mind, be it any religion, or otherwise. My only caveat is that it not be harmful, nor intrusive in accomplish it's goal of providing you those things by lessening those for others.
Thanks for the caveat, but what makes you believe you need to provide one? How can my belief lessen others peace?

Old 10-20-2021, 08:57 AM

Another honest question. How do atheists in recovery deal with AA and Higher Power?

Old 10-20-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Because American religion attempts to impose itself on the entire society and everyone in it.
What is this American religion?

Old 10-20-2021, 09:04 AM

64,121 posts, read 40,445,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Perhaps you just need a little expansion to see what I meant. "Just because they have a lot of unnecessary, incorrect, and deleterious beliefs ABOUT what God wants from us doesn't necessarily negate their belief and inner conviction IN the existence of God."
Quote:
I don't see how anyone could have beliefs ABOUT WHAT GOD WANTS without first having a belief IN GOD. Rather a given.
That was my point. Phet seems to think they determine belief in God so if they are wrong or incorrect or need to be changed belief in God should evaporate. He just has the causal order wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism