Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 12:45 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Irony overload.
You got that right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Here is one example.

People who believe in God give more money to charity, perform more volunteer work, give more money to secular causes, are more active in adopting children, and visit extended family more often.

Source: https://www.philanthropyroundtable.o...od-less-giving

Example #2

People who believe in God are less likely to commit crimes, especially violent crimes. They are also less likely to commit suicide.

Source: Effects of Religious Practice on Crime Rates [Marripedia]

Example #3

Young people who believe in God are less likely to abuse drugs and alcohol.

Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0908204306.htm

Example #4

People who believe in God are happier at work.

Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1217113524.htm

Example #5

People who believe in God are more likely to be happy, are less likely to smoke or drink, and are more likely to engage in secular group activities. In other words, they are more likely to play nice with people.

Source: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...this-question/

I could go on all day.
At least you responded to the actual question in the OP. Thank you. [Not that I agree with all of that].

Old 10-30-2021, 01:05 PM

373 posts, read 377,188 times
Although I am somewhat dubious about the nature of the OP, which seems to me to mainly be focused on what they see as other people's hypocrisy, not a very interesting subject frankly, I will answer using my experience as a practicing Catholic, practicing Buddhist, and practicing nothing in particular but being very aware of what Jung called the 'numinous' in my life -- these states being overlapping, not consecutive.

Most often, when people say they believe in a higher power, what they mean is mainly that, although they do not follow the tenets of any particular organized religion, they do sense the presence of divinity at work in their lives. That's all. They may not even be very familiar with Christianity, by the way. A surprising percentage of the US population, the most professedly Christian of the wealthy countries, do not have a Christian background at all, and have no interest in it, and I'm not even including the many who were raised in an entirely different faith tradition such as Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism etc.

I believe the OP is operating under a set of misguided ideas.

Old 10-30-2021, 01:08 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,955,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
At least you responded to the actual question in the OP. Thank you. [Not that I agree with all of that].
You are welcome. A discussion should include items to discuss.

Old 10-30-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
Although I am somewhat dubious about the nature of the OP, which seems to me to mainly be focused on what they see as other people's hypocrisy, not a very interesting subject frankly, I will answer using my experience as a practicing Catholic, practicing Buddhist, and practicing nothing in particular but being very aware of what Jung called the 'numinous' in my life -- these states being overlapping, not consecutive.

Most often, when people say they believe in a higher power, what they mean is mainly that, although they do not follow the tenets of any particular organized religion, they do sense the presence of divinity at work in their lives. That's all. They may not even be very familiar with Christianity, by the way. A surprising percentage of the US population, the most professedly Christian of the wealthy countries, do not have a Christian background at all, and have no interest in it, and I'm not even including the many who were raised in an entirely different faith tradition such as Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism etc.

I resent that statement that I bolded in the first paragraph, and I'll tell you why. I'm Buddhist, and I included Buddhists in the same mindset.

Your second paragraph is quite good.

Old 10-30-2021, 01:13 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,005,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post

You think?

Old 10-30-2021, 01:28 PM

I think you guys are missing the point...one of you intentionally.

When someone says they believe in god...so what? What does that mean?

When someone says they believe in a higher power...so what? What does that mean?

Let me give you a non-religious example of what I'm getting at. We had a teacher in our school who would often say, "I believe that all children can learn". However, he only wanted to teach gifted classes.

It's easy to say, "I believe in ______________", but the question is: does that translate into you doing anything about it.

Old 10-30-2021, 02:52 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,005,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you guys are missing the point...one of you intentionally.

When someone says they believe in god...so what? What does that mean?

When someone says they believe in a higher power...so what? What does that mean?

Let me give you a non-religious example of what I'm getting at. We had a teacher in our school who would often say, "I believe that all children can learn". However, he only wanted to teach gifted classes.

It's easy to say, "I believe in ______________", but the question is: does that translate into you doing anything about it.
Why should anyone believe your fictional stories? Is your life story like Buddha’s, every incident holding some irrefutable truth?

Old 10-30-2021, 03:26 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times
That would depend on the person. If you've ever checked out polls they can be very vague to start with and open to interpretation. I wouldn't say I believe in a higher power if that means some divine sentient being. I do believe in things such as the greater good as being a higher power than myself.

Old 10-30-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That would depend on the person. If you've ever checked out polls they can be very vague to start with and open to interpretation. I wouldn't say I believe in a higher power if that means some divine sentient being. I do believe in things such as the greater good as being a higher power than myself.
Interesting post.

When I started going to a program similar to AA, but not one about alcohol or drugs, I actually asked this question because their program was based directly on the AA program. The answer I was given was that you really don't have to believe in god or even a 'higher power' in the normal sense of the phrase. Maybe, as a Buddhist, you meditate. Perhaps you have some role model who is an inspiration to you. In fact, the gentleman said something along the lines of 'Instead of thinking about a higher power, think about a positive influencer in your life that inspires you to do better'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism