Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2021, 04:55 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Many people have problem with to, too, and two. no big deal.
1. I don't usually.
2. Then why mention it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 04:56 PM

884 posts, read 356,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What is your evidence for your statements?

"More Likely" are weasely words that mean zip, zero and only pretends to mean something.
My statement is pure speculation in reply to your statement of pure speculation. It has as much independent evidence as your preceding statement.

You aversion to "more likely" indicates exactly one of the problems with theists - their discomfort with uncertainty.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:04 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
My statement is pure speculation in reply to your statement of pure speculation. It has as much independent evidence as your preceding statement.

You aversion to "more likely" indicates exactly one of the problems with theists - their discomfort with uncertainty.
sentences which begin "the problem with atheists" and "the problem with theists"
are problematic from the get go.

they come from the same mindset, and raise the same red flags for the very same reasons,
as sentences which begin, "the problem with black people" "the problem with homosexuals"

just so you know, that is how the bold above sounds and comes across.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:16 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
sentences which begin "the problem with atheists" and "the problem with theists"

they come from the same mindset, and raise the same red flags for the very same reasons,
as sentences which begin, "the problem with black people" "the problem with homosexuals"

Did you used to be a nun in a Catholic school?

Old 11-12-2021, 05:18 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. I don't usually.
2. Then why mention it?
why not?

Old 11-12-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:

That is how it sounds to you.

Anyway, I'm happy to change it to "problem with theists understanding of the world." Some theists have repeatedly demonstrated that they like to make statements with certainty - "the oneness exists", "the sacred is real," etc.

If only they had the humility to include uncertainty, I would have more respect for them. Saying things like "The oneness possibly exists," "there is a likelihood the sacred exists based on my perceptions," etc.

One of the things I consider methodologically faulty on the part of some theists, is they believe in a confidence that is unfounded.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
That is how it sounds to you.

Anyway, I'm happy to change it to "problem with theists understanding of the world." Some theists have repeatedly demonstrated that they like to make statements with certainty - "the oneness exists", "the sacred is real," etc.

If only they had the humility to include uncertainty, I would have more respect for them. Saying things like "The oneness possibly exists," "there is a likelihood the sacred exists based on my perceptions," etc.

One of the things I consider methodologically faulty on the part of some theists, is they believe in a confidence that is unfounded.
my observation is that it bothers you that people have different beliefs than you do.
whereas those who are fine with freedom of religion, recognize that everyone has a seat at the table regarding any and all paths of religion and spirituality.

if people have certainty (which also seems to bother you) it is often because that is their experience. i have certainty that in my life prayer makes a difference. you have certainty that in your life meditation makes a difference. that is not a mental construct or a point to be argued. it is a knowing because you have experienced it.

does everyone experience it? no. but that has no effect on a person's own certainty because in their own life they have certainty because they experience it. it's not about proving or convincing anyone of anything. it is about verifying and validating each person for themself the tenets.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-12-2021 at 05:38 PM..

Old 11-12-2021, 05:29 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Religious faith transcends any earthly mental support. If it ever comes close, it will never supplant it as best, IMHO.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
my observation is that it bothers you that people have different beliefs than you do.
whereas those who are fine with freedom of religion, recognize that everyone has a seat at the table regarding any and all paths of religion and spirituality.
And my observation is it bothers you that people have different beliefs that you do. You have made multiple posts indicating you look down on those who are not spiritual, how they are ignorant, how spiritual people are more advanced, etc.

Not to mention you are on the atheist forum arguing against atheists. Did you not rant a while back about atheist's asking for evidence in the religion forum? And yet here you are on the atheist forum.

It really is hilarious how hypocrisy drips from every pore of yours.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
And my observation is it bothers you that people have different beliefs that you do. You have made multiple posts indicating you look down on those who are not spiritual, how they are ignorant, how spiritual people are more advanced, etc.
Not to mention you are on the atheist forum arguing against atheists. Did you not rant a while back about atheist's asking for evidence in the religion forum? And yet here you are on the atheist forum.

It really is hilarious how hypocrisy drips from every pore of yours.
i am participating in a discussion on a public forum.
and i have no problem with the wide range of beliefs in the full spectrum of paths of religion and spirituality.
all are welcome and everyone has a seat at the table that is freedom of religion.

enlightenment is available to all, it is not proprietary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism