Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2021, 05:53 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,015,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
But then what if we independently verify and test the table, and that verification shows that the table is actually a floor that looked like a table, and the wood is actually birch.

In that case we were both incorrect in our perceptions.

So someone who has a perception, should be open to the possibility of that perception being wrong.
Once the table has collapsed into its parts it is merely wood. The table is just an idea in your mind it does not exist as a reality. But wood does, in fact it is cellulose, cells, tree, roots, earth, wind and air. That is what Reality is. Table is an illusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2021, 06:10 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Seeking spirituality comes from self awareness and self confidence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Strange, I observe the opposite.
Self confidence and awareness does not necessarily reduce or negate spiritual quests, but does lead to approaching things from a different angle/path, or entering from the backdoor. It also more readily leads to personally designed/customized/hybrid spirituality over stock beliefs and/or institutions.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Self confidence and awareness does not necessarily reduce or negate spiritual quests, but does lead to approaching things from a different angle/path, or entering from the backdoor. It also more readily leads to personally designed/customized/hybrid spirituality over stock beliefs and/or institutions.
I have no stock beliefs. The beliefs I do have are well thought out, reasoned, understood, and are part of me.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:25 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
I have no stock beliefs. The beliefs I do have are well thought out, reasoned, understood, and are part of me.
To you.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To you.
To whom else should it matter? You too? Us two? What the hell dies it even mean? Dont answer.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:54 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
To whom else should it matter? You too? Us two? What the hell dies it even mean? Dont answer.
I guess, based on one of your posts yesterday, that I should point out that you have at least four errors in that short post. But of course, that would be 'snarky'. So, I won't say that.

"To whom else should it matter?" Well, you're posting for the world to see. I thought that meant that you thought you had something to share with others.

You think that your 'religionist' posts contain valuable insights that you want to share with others. Atheists here think their insights are just as valuable. But, I don't see you giving atheistic posts any respect.

You hold others to a VERY different standard than the standard(s) that you exhibit. To an extent, that's a human thing to do, but you are a textbook example of that.

What I have been waiting to see is beyond your knowledge of certain religions. It's how you put those religious concepts into practice on this forum. Thus far, it's not a pretty picture.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:55 AM

884 posts, read 356,756 times
Quote:
Once the table has collapsed into its parts it is merely wood. The table is just an idea in your mind it does not exist as a reality. But wood does, in fact it is cellulose, cells, tree, roots, earth, wind and air. That is what Reality is. Table is an illusion.
And what it it turns out it is metal and not wood? In this case you mis-perceived it as wood. One must always be open to the possibility of ones perceptions being wrong.

How arrogant must someone be to not be open to the possibility that their perceptions are wrong?!

Last edited by Peter600; 11-13-2021 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-13-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post

I find it slight surprising the aversion by some to the possibility of their perceptions being wrong. Surely someone with self-awareness must understand the possibility of their perceptions being wrong, and that they themselves are not best suited to detect the mis-perception. They may not have a way to verify their perception, and hence think it is best to trust their perceptions which is fine. But surely they must also realise that the trust is blind to a point.

Have they never though "I know what species of bird that is" only to later find out they were wrong? Or "I know the answer to that question" only to later find out they were wrong? I certainly have thought I knew things, that it turned out were wrong. Surely the same is true for you, and for others.

Last edited by Peter600; 11-13-2021 at 10:59 AM..

Old 11-13-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You seem to forget that you are talking to a PhD trained Social Pschologist who literally created the instruments and study designs you rely on. I know all the quirks of human perception and yet I fo not have such an unreasonable doubt about my ability to interpret my experiences. Your self-doubt is not reasonable.
And yet I have had training on spotting my biases at work from psychologists, and surprise surprise I have biases, as did every other manager in our team. During hiring processes in the last decade, under guidance from psychological studies and best practices, I have discounted parts of my experience because I knew they were not reliable. I would never now hire a person just based on my experience of them at interview, because I know my experience can be biased.

If anything, society is moving towards questioning their own beliefs and perceptions more, which is the intellectually sound thing to do.

Have you never been sure you "knew" something, only to later find out through external verification that you were wrong? I suppose every answer you thought you knew to every question you were asked, your answer was correct? Never wrong? What arrogance. It is entirely reasonable to put an asterisk against knowledge that has not been verified externally.

Just as a separate example - If I was an evil person, would I self identify as such? I doubt it. In which case I'm not based place to decide whether I'm evil or not. Nevertheless it is not good for my mental health to go around questioning whether I'm evil, so I accept the blind belief that I'm not evil, but also understand the limitations of that belief.

Last edited by Peter600; 11-13-2021 at 10:26 AM..

Old 11-13-2021, 10:24 AM

895 posts, read 475,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Well the topic is not relevant for this thread anyway, so maybe on a thread for that discussion.

For this thread neither your experience or my experience are in question. Rather what trend we will see overall in the population's experience, if better mental health support is available to everyone.

Surely you realise that if more people have mental health support (and in particular prophylactic support), then their experiences will be affected by that. So a percentage of those people may not need religion as a result of being able to lean on better mental health support.

And to support my position, I presented two individual experiences linked in the OP. Those individuals, in their experience, suggest that good mental health support has replaced their need for religion.

So my question in this thread, is how many more will there be.
I think I'd be a bit more thorough in my curiosity; specifically, would the percentage of people relying on religion CHANGE (Up OR Down) with better mental health support. As your premise is predisposed to a biased outcome and therefore would have an elevated proclivity to omitting some data.

Last edited by Cyno; 11-13-2021 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism