Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 07:14 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Which was - and is - COMPLETELY unfair. I don't want to run to the science forum or the politics forum to discuss this stuff. I want to address the people HERE on the R&S forum. Because I want to discuss the religious ramifications. Talking about these subjects in the science or political forum means very little actual religious discussion will take place at all. It will mostly be about ... well ... science and politics. Not religion.
I actually left for several years over these developments. I have still found more substance here than on the forum I went to, which is regulated very differently -- in many ways, way better (you can mostly discuss whatever you want, and threads can evolve organically, for example) and in some ways it's not as good -- way fewer members, and they can be pretty hostile to believers who stop by, so they don't stay long. Despite that there were some actual topic experts on the other forum I found more to engage with here overall, even with the ill advised policies. So I spend more time here than in the other place. I see the two fora as a tradeoff between (a form of enforced) civility and a more pragmatically honest approach.

But lately I've been spending less time on fora in general. Partly a function of life changes / transitions and partly just that there's nothing new under the sun and a number of people here have little to say that I haven't already heard, and probably the feeling's mutual.

And then we do have people who pop in like yourself and liven it way up now and again. Maybe reconsider shutting down your account and just come in once in awhile? It doesn't have to be a binary choice. Post when you feel like it, stand down when you are frustrated with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 08:28 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,504 times
Quote:
It's the same unearned respect that religion has claimed for thousands of years - that religion must be approached with reverence and respect. Thus, as much contention as possible was removed from the R&S forum as they could until now - atheists can't even post in the main forum anymore.

If they do, all the believers sort of dogpile on the atheist with arguments centered on how atheists shouldn't even be posting there - and how "this is a forum about religion!!!"

But the R&S forum is pretty much a believer's clique now, and no one else is truly welcome.
Start an argument that Religion cannot exist without a "negative space" (non-religion) to occupy. Just like a tree could not exist if everything was all solid wood, it needs the open space of atmosphere and air to exist. Same for atmosphere and air, if there were nothing else anywhere, what would it be?

Please go up to the Alaska photo's page in the State forums and check out Ray In Alaska's Aurora Borealis Photo's, it may give you a revived "spirit" and renew your....faith? appreciation? or whatever you would call it, for the C-D forums.

Maybe argue if the Aurora is science/physics or the "G" word if you wish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
And then we do have people who pop in like yourself and liven it way up now and again. Maybe reconsider shutting down your account and just come in once in awhile? It doesn't have to be a binary choice. Post when you feel like it, stand down when you are frustrated with it.
I agree with mordant, your total absence would be a loss. You could become a "Brigadoon" poster like myself, appearing out of the mists one day every hundred years (well, maybe more often than that).

Old 02-22-2023, 11:59 PM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I heard about the legendary debates but did not participate in them. How could I when people are like scholars in religion compared to me?

When respect and reverence are expected, it is usually believers, especially the ones who say that any belief about God is valid, who have the expectation that if a person comes to the religion and spirituality forum, the idea of "no god" better not be promoted. As soon as the conversation doesn't involve an atheist, respect and reverence go out the door because the debate turns into "who really knows and understands God." They may call it having a discussion, sharing different perspectives, or opinions, but in the end, it is a personal belief that is being promoted against another.

You are accurate that people can't talk about religion and spirituality without talking about a god or without thinking about it. However, if that god is only being used as an authoritative figure to shut down certain ideas, and if other believers of the same faith provide a counter-argument, then it is just somebody trying to impose their beliefs on others, but using a god as an authoritative figure. It is no different than saying, "because I said so." They just are not admitting this or realizing it.

So if it cannot be determined who has the true god, while at the same time claiming that they know the true God, while others are saying that everyone's belief about God is valid, I just thought it might be easier to remove god from the conversation.

But maybe my reasoning is just way off.
No, your reasoning is valid, especially about those who claim to know how their god thinks, knows, and what it wants.

Old 02-23-2023, 04:31 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, your reasoning is valid, especially about those who claim to know how their god thinks, knows, and what it wants.
Okay. Thanks. That's good to know. I find it difficult to put into words instances when a god shouldn't be discussed even in a forum such as this because the assumption is that religion and spirituality come from a god or that it is a pathway to a god.

Old 02-26-2023, 03:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Which was - and is - COMPLETELY unfair.
It is not unfair because it takes you to a completely new level of thinking, thinking outside the box, and makes you multi-dimensional.

The x-tians claim their commandments came from their god-thing except they didn't. They came from the Egyptians. More than a 1,000 years later, the x-tian god-thing says the first commandment ought to be love your neighbor as you love yourself.

The x-tian god-thing was wrong, and quite very fallible. That is something you can beat down on x-tians.

Quote:
It's the same unearned respect that religion has claimed for thousands of years - that religion must be approached with reverence and respect.
That is called dogma, which is something you can point out, and it is also a logical fallacy, namely, the "Ought/Is" fallacy that religion ought to be respected.

Quote:
Most are Christian, some are Hindu, we used to have at least one Muslim - but the vast majority believe in the Palestinian wargod called Yahweh. His full name is Yahweh Teva-ʿot which actually means "He who brings the host" or in more modern terminology, "He who musters armies."
Ugarit, actually.

Sumer was the first country and it had a pantheon of 12 deities (11 men and one woman). By cultural diffusion it spread to the Akkadians, Gutians, Su****es, Elamites, Mari, Nuzi, Mitani, Eblaites, Amorites, Elamites, Hurrians, Hittites, Canaanites, Hebrews, etc.

Like everyone else, the Hebrews were polytheists before becoming henotheists and finally monolatrists.

There never was an Exodus. The Hebrews always lived in Canaan, and more importantly, the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh bordered Ugarit to the north and the Philistines to the west.

Classical Biblical Hebrew is the Ugaritic dialect of Canaanite without the case endings. That could only happen if the Hebrews always lived next to Ugarit for centuries, since Ugarit was overrun and destroyed, it's people killed, carted off as slaves or fled and never returned, and you can't learn a language from people who no longer exist.

Abandoning cities/towns/villages was commonplace. All the cities in Sumer were abandoned en masse at once and were never inhabited again. Later, most of the cities in Akkad were permanently abandoned.

One of your duties as an Atheist is to point out and correct the many misunderstandings of x-tians.

Anyway, Yahweh was part of the Ugarit pantheon (but not the Philistines' pantheon) which consisted of El (or Bull-El if you prefer), Ba'al, El Elyon, El Berith, El Shaddai, Yam, Mot, the female Asherah, Dagon, Kothar, Lothan, and Yahweh.

Yam was the "sea god" hence Yam Suf (the sea of reeds).

Mot was the god of death, hence the word mot in CBH means death.

Etymology is a beautiful thing. You can trace the etymology of Philistine to Palestine simply by looking at maps from later Greek/early Roman times, the Dark Ages, the Middle Ages, all the way to the present.

Quote:
This is why, throughout the Old Testament, God is rampaging across the so-called Promised Land committing genocide against one innocent city-state after another. Over two dozen named cities were wiped out down to every man, woman, and child - and sometimes even animals.
That never happened. Archeology proves it.

Regardless of the date you assign to the Exodus-that-never-happened Jericho was not inhabited, and worse, there's no evidence of damage to the walls around the town, or that any conflict took place in the town.

If you read journals like the Journal of the Ancient Near East you'll know it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between the Canaanites and the Hebrews. It's like trying to tell the difference between Americans and Canadians.

You're digging in a village or town, how do you know it was occupied by Canaanites or Hebrews? Unless you pig bones which means they were eating pork, you really can't tell the difference.

Of the 16 cities claimed to have been destroyed during the Exodus, 10 of those cities have been discovered.

Seven of those cities show no evidence of destruction or conflict, and worse than that, three of the cities (Gibeon, Jericho and Ai) weren't even occupied during the Exodus, as they had been abandoned for a century or more.

Of the three that were destroyed, two of them were proven to have been destroyed by "sea peoples."

Of the last city, it's unclear if it was destroyed by Hebrews or Canaanites, since it is virtually impossible to distinguish between the two cultures.

Quote:
Yahweh was a god of war - and certainly not the "peaceful" and "loving" and "forgiving" and "fair" God they want him to be. As I've said before - it is the biggest and worst example of cognitive dissonance ever foisted onto humanity.
Of that there can be no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism