Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 01:10 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times

Advertisements

There are several components of Christian "Faith" and one of them is just that. Not allowing doubt to creep into the picture as Late Great said in post #2.

To be unable to re- examine the tenets of your belief without being considered "spiritually weak" is just really strange to me.

However, since Late Great is a college football fan I will say that I see the same thing there.

To express concern about whether your team is going to win the upcoming game brings out this same sort of thing among other fellows of your fan base. You are considered a "wuss" or "negative nellie" or a "gloom and doomer" if you don't claim that your team is going to kick the snot out of said opponent.

Being cautious is somehow considered being negative. Of course, if your team doesn't kick the snot out of the other team or loses these guys don't seem to mind being wrong. To them being wrong doesn't bother them... They just go on talking about beating the snot out of the next team. Religionists are much the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 01:29 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There are several components of Christian "Faith" and one of them is just that. Not allowing doubt to creep into the picture as Late Great said in post #2.

To be unable to re- examine the tenets of your belief without being considered "spiritually weak" is just really strange to me.

However, since Late Great is a college football fan I will say that I see the same thing there.

To express concern about whether your team is going to win the upcoming game brings out this same sort of thing among other fellows of your fan base. You are considered a "wuss" or "negative nellie" or a "gloom and doomer" if you don't claim that your team is going to kick the snot out of said opponent.

Being cautious is somehow considered being negative. Of course, if your team doesn't kick the snot out of the other team or loses these guys don't seem to mind being wrong. To them being wrong doesn't bother them... They just go on talking about beating the snot out of the next team. Religionists are much the same.
The reason I couldn't ask questions was because it triggered cognitive dissonance. It's a cult so everything the leaders say is true.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:35 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think the cookware was coming at you from evangelicals. It seemed to be a Hindu, a Hasidic Jew, and a Pantheist who were tag-teaming with the cast-iron frying pan.

I always encourage people of different religions to find their commonalities and work together, but that isn't what I really meant.
I know, isn't that ironic? I should have made another disclaimer that I wasn't just talking about Christians, although they did attack me pretty good in another thread. LOL yeah, cast iron with hot grease in it. I sure am glad somebody noticed the tag teaming and the content.

They are equal opportunity offenders, I'm not the only one they attack so I don't feel very special anymore.

Last edited by Northsouth; 09-14-2022 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Edit to add

Old 09-14-2022, 02:47 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I know, isn't that ironic? I should have made another disclaimer that I wasn't just talking about Christians, although they did attack me pretty good in another thread. LOL yeah, cast iron with hot grease in it. I sure am glad somebody noticed the tag teaming and the content.

They are equal opportunity offenders, I'm not the only one they attack so I don't feel very special anymore.
One of those three is Mystic's disciple and one is his stalker.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:52 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
One of those three is Mystic's disciple and one is his stalker.
LOL I know, right? It's beezar.

Old 09-16-2022, 05:01 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Saw this on the bird site just now, posted by Jemar Tisby, PhD, and it struck me as one of the truer things I've heard of late:

I mean, if you seriously think you have the true milk of god's holy word, you are very sure of yourself, and of your rightness, and by extension, the utter wrongness of one and all who don't agree wholeheartedly with you.

One cannot imagine that they have all the answers, and then have any questions. And that is fundamentalist Christianity in a nutshell.

I'll be honest, I think the only true fundamentalist evangelical Christians I have ever met have been on city data. Those that I know of at least. So I have very little experience in these matters.
Here I have come across people that don't seem to question what they are told regardless how little sense it often makes.
Sadly this trait seems to hold in areas other than religion these days.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:21 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'll be honest, I think the only true fundamentalist evangelical Christians I have ever met have been on city data. Those that I know of at least. So I have very little experience in these matters.
Here I have come across people that don't seem to question what they are told regardless how little sense it often makes.
It is an open question whether this bleed-thru to topics other than religion comes from religion or if religion is just another symptom of some more general issue. In the complex real world, probably some amount of both, since at bottom this is a problem of critical thinking; however, much of the political polarization in the US does appear to me to be just another expression of Christo-fascism originating quite directly in Christian Fundamentalism. And that group is very much actively OPPOSED to critical thinking, except maybe as redefined to mean "thinking that Christian apologetics is convincing".

In my days inside Christian fundamentalism, most active late 1970s into the late 1990s, this kind of thinking was typical but muted and compartmentalized compared to today. It is very much a thing in real life (IRL) but I will hasten to add that I have also known (a very few) Christian fundamentalists who were genuinely kind, inclusive, welcoming, real, genuine people who did actual good works in the actual community, no strings attached. It is by no means a movement that precludes you from being a good person; sadly, it just no longer encourages it, and in some areas, actively DIScourages it.

You can Google a video entitled "Republican Jesus" if you care to see someone channeling this in a comedy format.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:52 AM

412 posts, read 137,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
What is a true fundamentalist evangelical Christian?
I don't think I've ever met one, or the modern definition is too convoluted or watered down.
A God belief and a stance on marriage do not equate to a fundamentalist. For example, I believe raw vegetables prolong human life, encourage others to eat them, and sometimes eat servings of raw vegetables. Would that qualify me as a vegan fundamentalist?

Old 09-16-2022, 10:12 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
What is a true fundamentalist evangelical Christian?
I don't think I've ever met one, or the modern definition is too convoluted or watered down.
A God belief and a stance on marriage do not equate to a fundamentalist. For example, I believe raw vegetables prolong human life, encourage others to eat them, and sometimes eat servings of raw vegetables. Would that qualify me as a vegan fundamentalist?
You are implicitly suggesting that I am painting with a wide brush and that not all fundamentalists are extremists.

So thanks for agreeing with my point, as I did point out that it is possible to be both a fundamentalist and a decent human being. Some of the people I have known personally who fit that description include my own parents (who were socialized to be decent human beings before they turned to fundamentalism in their early 40s) and my late wife's uncle and aunt, who seemed to float above the petty concerns of their local congregation and did good works for their own sake, and on their own dime much of the time.

None of this changes the fact that Christian fundamentalism / evangelicalism has at the very least lost its way, morally and ethically, based on my comparison of their behaviors and practice circa 1980 vs today. That they have since made an unholy alliance with one of the political parties and are now openly advocating for an authoritarian theocracy that forces their dogma on all of society. That their chosen champion is an incredibly venal man, a serial adulterer and grifter par excellence. The sort of person that, 50 years ago, they would have had nothing to do with.

They have taken the teachings of Jesus and turned them on their head, pretty much.

I am not only not exaggerating, I am understating my case, TBH.

Old 09-16-2022, 01:46 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Saw this on the bird site just now, posted by Jemar Tisby, PhD, and it struck me as one of the truer things I've heard of late:

I mean, if you seriously think you have the true milk of god's holy word, you are very sure of yourself, and of your rightness, and by extension, the utter wrongness of one and all who don't agree wholeheartedly with you.

One cannot imagine that they have all the answers, and then have any questions. And that is fundamentalist Christianity in a nutshell.
Yes indeedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism