Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 12:25 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times

Advertisements

https://www.newswise.com/articles/re...ross-the-world

I can come up with a number of hypotheses on this one. Certainly the growth of the internet, and access to information has to play a large role. The growing acceptance of science and that it shows the fantastic imagery that "holy books" describe just can't be. The growing awareness that we have only one life to live, and that there is no evidence of a god, gods, or an afterlife.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 01:18 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Nice find. I have bookmarked their site, https://www.explainingatheism.org, so when I have a little time I can get a bead on how they define atheism. Hopefully their findings will not be not another one of these "x% of atheists pray" or "x% of atheists believe in god" nonsense that is definitionally incoherent. So long as the basic definition is followed, I can have more confidence in their findings.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:42 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Nice find. I have bookmarked their site, https://www.explainingatheism.org, so when I have a little time I can get a bead on how they define atheism. Hopefully their findings will not be not another one of these "x% of atheists pray" or "x% of atheists believe in god" nonsense that is definitionally incoherent. So long as the basic definition is followed, I can have more confidence in their findings.
I notice that the John Tempelton Foundation is involved. Although they are very Christian orientated, some of their other funding has not shown prejudice or influence. I also notice they have Hemant Mehta (The Friendly Atheist) as a consultant, which shows good balance.

Here is how they talk about what Atheism means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN9-gUUg2B4

Old 09-22-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Here is how they talk about what Atheism means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN9-gUUg2B4
Incredibly it seems that the drop-dead simple term "atheist" is getting bowdlerized as much as "agnostic". I don't know why they don't simply put people who take the label "atheist" yet believe in some god, into a separate category or special case where it belongs. But whatevs. It is just one more manifestation of the growing incoherence in the world I suppose. I should probably be grateful that they at least understand that these different "kinds of atheism" represent different beliefs popularly tossed together, so that they will maintain some nuance. Nuance which, doubtless, will go right over the head of a lot of readers.

Old 09-22-2022, 05:50 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Incredibly it seems that the drop-dead simple term "atheist" is getting bowdlerized as much as "agnostic". I don't know why they don't simply put people who take the label "atheist" yet believe in some god, into a separate category or special case where it belongs. But whatevs. It is just one more manifestation of the growing incoherence in the world I suppose. I should probably be grateful that they at least understand that these different "kinds of atheism" represent different beliefs popularly tossed together, so that they will maintain some nuance. Nuance which, doubtless, will go right over the head of a lot of readers.
Re; Nuances: Why should it be any different among unbelievers than among believers? The diversity and nuance are as widespread among believers as anything likely to be found among atheists!

Old 09-22-2022, 06:02 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Quote:
yes there is nuance.
yes there are differences.
yes there are "different kinds of atheism."

just like there are different kids of religious and spiritual beliefs. with nuance.

which is why it is not logical and not rational to say "if they can't even agree on what it is (atheism, agnostic, theism, religion, spirituality), then why should anyone believe any of it. it is nonsense. it is incoherent." Because no that is not the case. There are just, well, differences and nuance and "different kinds of _______" (atheism, theism, variety and diversity along the spectrum of paths of religion and spirituality)

Old 09-22-2022, 07:09 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes there is nuance.
yes there are differences.
yes there are "different kinds of atheism."

just like there are different kids of religious and spiritual beliefs. with nuance.

which is why it is not logical and not rational to say "if they can't even agree on what it is (atheism, agnostic, theism, religion, spirituality), then why should anyone believe any of it. it is nonsense. it is incoherent." Because no that is not the case. There are just, well, differences and nuance and "different kinds of _______" (atheism, theism, variety and diversity along the spectrum of paths of religion and spirituality)
Nuances? You consider the differences in these pictures to be nuances?

https://aleteia.org/2021/03/29/say-h...mention-jesus/

https://www.learnreligions.com/top-h...eities-1770309

Old 09-22-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Re; Nuances: Why should it be any different among unbelievers than among believers? The diversity and nuance are as widespread among believers as anything likely to be found among atheists!
I would expect there to be less diversity in atheism because it is a single question about a very narrow up-or-down topic. Do you or do you not believe in the existence of at least one deity? There is no dogma or deity to argue about. There might be some debate about your reasons for unbelief, but there should be zero confusion about what it means to BE an atheist.

In a sense I guess there is less diversity, it is more about what brings you to atheism -- whether you feel the need to crusade against, say, Christianity or not, or whether you have perhaps not entirely consistent beliefs in other forms of woo, are separate matters. But what kind of blows IMO is that there are people who identity as atheists who have even a provisional belief in a god of some kind. To me that is like saying you're a stamp collector without even a single stamp to your name.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:05 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Quote:
I would expect there to be less diversity in atheism because it is a single question about a very narrow up-or-down topic. Do you or do you not believe in the existence of at least one deity? There is no dogma or deity to argue about. There might be some debate about your reasons for unbelief, but there should be zero confusion about what it means to BE an atheist.

In a sense I guess there is less diversity, it is more about what brings you to atheism -- whether you feel the need to crusade against, say, Christianity or not, or whether you have perhaps not entirely consistent beliefs in other forms of woo, are separate matters. But what kind of blows IMO is that there are people who identity as atheists who have even a provisional belief in a god of some kind. To me that is like saying you're a stamp collector without even a single stamp to your name.
but of course a person can be a stamp collector without any stamps. they may have been robbed. They may have sold their collection to pay for a family member's medical care or nursing home. Their house may have burned down. That does not change that they are still a stamp collector.

we had that discussion at length during the decades I danced. Many of us were regulars who danced several nights a week. (I danced 4 nights a week for ten years, but i knew people who danced 6 or 7 nights a week. And took one night off per month to do laundry.) Occasionally someone would go through a period when they could not dance, perhaps because of an injury. One lady i knew became progressively more crippled from a neurodegenerative disease to where she could not dance or walk at all. Is a person still a dancer even though they never dance again in their life? Yes, of course they are.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:29 AM

10,520 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Thank you for the link.
Nice to see one of my old stomping grounds The University of Kent playing a role.

Funny how people feel the need to research this kind of thing, or why the question even needs to be asked really?
I'm not exactly sure what purpose it serves? * Blue Skies research I suppose.

Anyway perhaps it will be interesting to follow along.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_skies_research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism