Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 06:40 PM

477 posts, read 124,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My confusion comes from your implication that there is a non-agnostic Christian who knows that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I belive that is not knowable to anyone living.

Since there can't possibly be a Christian alive who can know that Christ is the Son of God, the term "Agnostic Christian" becomes meaningless. None of us can possibly "know".

That is why I call it an oxymoron.

The contradiction would be, there would have to be Christians who have first hand personal, spiritual, or scientific knowledge that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, probably to the point of being able to positively demonstrate to others that Christ is the Son of God. Which is impossible.

No Christians can know Christ was the Son of God. We can only believe it. That would make us ALL "Agnostic Christians" by your definition. How is that of any use in discussion? Agnostic Christian as opposed to... what? There couldn't be any other kind.

Am I making myself clear?

I see what you are saying, but I reject your premises that "knowing is impossible" and "it is impossible to demonstrate to others that Christ is the Son of God."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 06:46 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
No Christians can know Christ was the Son of God. We can only believe it. That would make us ALL "Agnostic Christians" by your definition. How is that of any use in discussion? Agnostic Christian as opposed to... what? There couldn't be any other kind.
Ah, I see. Well, (a)gnosticism is a knowledge claim. It is a position. I didn't say gnostic Christians are a defensible position. But it's certainly a claim: "I know Jesus personally and he's the son of god".

Old 11-08-2022, 06:49 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
I see what you are saying, but I reject your premises that "knowing is impossible" and "it is impossible to demonstrate to others that Christ is the Son of God."
You know and can demonstrate to a diehard Athiest that Christ is incontrovertibly the Son of God?

Wow. More power to you. Feel free to start a thread.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:11 PM

477 posts, read 124,571 times
Quote:
You know and can demonstrate to a diehard Athiest that Christ is incontrovertibly the Son of God?

Wow. More power to you. Feel free to start a thread.

Are not you confusing what I personally can or cannot do with what is impossible?

Old 11-08-2022, 07:22 PM

2,229 posts, read 770,203 times
Here's an example of Agnostic people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH9gcaJjG_U

Old 11-10-2022, 06:33 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
Agnostic Christians.... How does this work???

Articles, Thoughts / Comments?

I heard about this thing they are calling 'agnostic Christianity' and I read about it on Wikipedia. It's a bunch of hooey and a serious contradiction in terms. Just another non-label to raise eyebrows and ruffle feathers.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:39 AM

383 posts, read 181,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
Oxymoron implies contradiction.

"I don't know if Jesus Christ is son of God. But I really believe he is" - these would be a position of agnostic christian.

Where do you see a contradiction?

It doesn't work like that. A Christian would not say "I don't know if Jesus Christ is the son of God" in the first place

Old 11-10-2022, 06:44 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
Here's an example of Agnostic people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH9gcaJjG_U
I like them, this is my favorite song by them. Actually, I'm pretty sure they are just straight up atheists, or she is. Fun fact: She played Cindy Lou Who in the movie "The Grinch" from 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBxJCq99jA

Old 11-10-2022, 06:53 AM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennial millennial View Post
It doesn't work like that. A Christian would not say "I don't know if Jesus Christ is the son of God" in the first place
That they do not go around broadcasting it in those explicit terms doesn't mean they have a high level of confidence that a literal Jesus was the literal son of god. It is a question of how seriously you take those claims. My contention is that the average pew-warmer, especially in the mainline denominations, just doesn't think about it very much. It's just the ocean they swim in. God is in heaven, is somehow benevolently intervening on their behalf, but in a sort of abstract or theoretical sense that they don't truly hang their hat on or go out on a limb for. In practical everyday terms they don't live much differently than someone like myself who doesn't believe those things at all.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:53 AM

88,526 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
How do you fellow Agnostic Christians feel about the Pentagram symbol? I often see it in music videos etc..does it scare or offend you?
Neither scares nor offends me. There is nothing frightening or offensive about it.

I am not personally drawn to it, but I've seen some nice jewelry and other items featuring the pent. I like symbols in general, find them interesting.

I think a term you might like better is Christo-Pagan, and there are also Judeo-Pagans.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-18-2022 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism