Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 10:14 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
A lot of people have either said how old they are or have said things that make their age fairly obvious. For example, QuakerBaker has said how old she is, Mystic has said he is in his 80s, Thrill said he is retired, mordant wants to retire, MQ retired shortly before she became a moderator, and I retired about the same time I took the moderating job. I'm sure if I think about it, I can guess some others' ages.

How about those who have not revealed their age? And how does he measure their wisdom? All geezers are wise?

What fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 10:23 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
How about those who have not revealed their age?
Like you? It’s pretty obvious what your age cohort is.

Quote:
And how does he measure their wisdom?
Probably based on the quality and content of their posts.

Quote:
All geezers are wise?
Do you consider yourself a geezer?

Quote:
What fun.
Indeed.

Old 03-07-2023, 11:49 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Some of us were lucky to be raised atheist. It was all nonsense from the beginning. lol.

Old 03-07-2023, 12:22 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Your observations do not square with the statistics, for the USA anyway. I'm 36, which happens to be the median age for religiously unaffiliated Americans, as of 2014 and according to Pew:

'Some of the groups that have already been growing in recent years may be primed for continued growth. This includes people with no religious affiliation: The median age of adults who say their religion is “nothing in particular” is 38, while for atheists and agnostics it is 34.

Overall, these three groups together (often called religious “nones”) have a median age of 36 – fully a decade younger than the median age of U.S. adults overall (46), according to data from our 2014 Religious Landscape Study.'

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-and-youngest/

I think City-Data as a forum just tends to skew older compared to the vast majority of Internet forums. I'm aware that many of the posters on this subforum are, um, relatively old, and I don't spend enough time on the R&S general forum to glean any potential insights about the age of posters there

Old 03-07-2023, 12:22 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Like you? It’s pretty obvious what your age cohort is.

Probably based on the quality and content of their posts.

Exactly right--the quality of the posts and the language and styles. Hang around here long enough and one becomes familiar with the writing styles, syntax used, original thinking or brainless parroting, etc. Think of how kids talk when they go up to the mike on shows like Morton Downey and Maury Povich. They reveal their immaturity almost from the moment they open their mouths. Arrogant know it all's in a very unclassy way. People will accuse me of those very things but I think I do it with finesse and some education.

Old 03-07-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Also not right. If you read Thrill's post, he his talking about posters here on this forum.
Yeah, but he also kind of implied that it's indicative of a larger trend. A trend which the stats show to be as nonexistent as god(s).

Old 03-07-2023, 12:39 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Yeah, but he also kind of implied that it's indicative of a larger trend. A trend which the stats show to be as nonexistent as god(s).
As non-existent as the other implication: geezers have all the wisdom.

Old 03-07-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
As non-existent as the other implication: geezers have all the wisdom.
I think there's more truth to that one. Obviously not 'all the wisdom', but it's foolish to deny a correlation between age and wisdom. Wisdom requires lived experience that the young just haven't had the opportunity to accumulate. I remember that my sophomore English teacher in high school told my parents at a parent-teacher conference that I 'seemed like I was going on [age] 40,' although he did not mean it as a compliment or a wisdom-assessment--it was a commentary on the fact that I was very sarcastic, prematurely jaded, etc. Younger people can be 'wise for their age' or what have you, but I think the common association of wisdom with age is merited....

Edit to add that I now find myself at the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy for the first time in...a decade?

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/wisdom/

Old 03-07-2023, 12:50 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I think there's more truth to that one. Obviously not 'all the wisdom', but it's foolish to deny a correlation between age and wisdom. Wisdom requires lived experience that the young just haven't had the opportunity to accumulate. I remember that my sophomore English teacher in high school told my parents at a parent-teacher conference that I 'seemed like I was going on [age] 40,' although he did not mean it as a compliment or a wisdom-assessment--I was very sarcastic, prematurely jaded, etc. Younger people can be 'wise for their age' or what have you, but I think the common association of wisdom with age is merited....
Absolutely. I’ve learned a lot over the years by having friends of all ages and also really listening and taking note when my older relatives told me stories.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Absolutely. I’ve learned a lot over the years by having friends of all ages and also really listening and taking note when my older relatives told me stories.
Likewise...not that I've always applied those lessons well enough, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism